Help with Home Fitness Equipment

Options
At the end of the month I'm having a major change in circumstances - I'm moving to a new city, will be living in a studio, and will have a lot less leftover money after rent/bills as will no longer be living with boyfriend. The few gyms in the local area are out of my price range (£600 a year or so, I pay £150 per year now).

Does anyone have any advice regarding cardio fitness equipment that is effective and also compact?! Right now I do cardio 3x per week, 20 mins on the bike and 10 mins on cross-trainer or hill climber. I have all my free weights so my lifting will be fine. My main reasons for cardio are heart health and quality sleep, so I'm really just looking to sweat and get a good workout in 30 mins.

Are mini-steppers with the resistance bands good? Or perhaps a folding bike? Or should I just take up running (which I suck at, and seems murder on the inner thighs)? DVD's are no good (other than the yoga I already do) as I dont know if I'll be on the ground floor or not.

I'm really concerned that changing my cardio will change my body shape - I've worked damn hard to get where I am, and like my new-found slim but muscular legs!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    WaterRower or Concept2 rowing machine?

The WaterRower in particular is very easy to store as you can tip it on end and then it's neatly out of the way.

Rowing is a good all round cardio exercise that hammers the trunk, back and legs as well. I generally find that it keeps me in the mid aerobic HR zone so it's complementary to running for me.
  • amy_1987
    Options
    I dont row as my arms (mainly shoulders) are prone to bulking up really big and make me look unbalanced. Thankyou though :)
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    power block, yoga mat, workout mat, power bands, pull up bar
  • amy_1987
    Options
    My yoga and yogilates is still in development I'm afraid! I've been to classes (for correct posture), and do my workout videos between 2-4 times per week (depends what I can fit in - yoga is a bit of a treat as I enjoy it so much)! I am moving on to more demanding yoga eventually (at the moment just hatha yoga), but still very much learning the ropes and training my body into those positions.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I'm also transitioning from gym to working out at home. though i still have a few days left on my gym membership, i already started to do a few at-home workouts. i'm not buying anything, except a mat. I have a few weights from previous times, and may add weights as i go along.

I started doing the C25K workout - that is a 30 minutes workout. I will combine that with some DVD workout, haven't figure out which, but I want to do some kind of strength training at home. It's absolutely doable.
    At the end of the month I'm having a major change in circumstances - I'm moving to a new city, will be living in a studio, and will have a lot less leftover money after rent/bills as will no longer be living with boyfriend. The few gyms in the local area are out of my price range (£600 a year or so, I pay £150 per year now).

Does anyone have any advice regarding cardio fitness equipment that is effective and also compact?! Right now I do cardio 3x per week, 20 mins on the bike and 10 mins on cross-trainer or hill climber. I have all my free weights so my lifting will be fine. My main reasons for cardio are heart health and quality sleep, so I'm really just looking to sweat and get a good workout in 30 mins.

Are mini-steppers with the resistance bands good? Or perhaps a folding bike? Or should I just take up running (which I suck at, and seems murder on the inner thighs)? DVD's are no good (other than the yoga I already do) as I dont know if I'll be on the ground floor or not.

I'm really concerned that changing my cardio will change my body shape - I've worked damn hard to get where I am, and like my new-found slim but muscular legs!