c25k Week 5...crazy!

Options
So! I am currently on week 5 of the c25k program and am wondering if anybody else thinks the acceleration during week 5 is pure craziness?

Day 1 (of week 5) is 3 intervals of running for 5 minutes.

Day 2 is running for 8 minutes (or 3/4 mile), then walking for 5 minutes (or 1/2 mile)....THEN!

Day 3 is jogging/running for 20 minutes (or 2 miles)!!!

Am I alone on this? LOL :noway:

Replies

• langurmonkey
    Options
    It's a big psychological barrier that first 20 minute run. You will be ready for it if you can manage to do the other two. Just take it easy and smile!
  • Kegsey55
    Kegsey55 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I felt just the same as you as week 5 came up. I didn't think it was at all possible. However, I did it and its built so you will too. Week 6 drops back to intervals if I remember correctly.

I did week 9 day 3 last Friday. I didn't quite manage 5km in 30 minutes so I went out on Sunday and ran the full 5km!
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    yeah you just got to remember that you are totally ready to do this! If you have followed the plan then you will do it. Break the mental barrier and get running!! Its an amazing sense of accomplishment
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I know it seems like a huge jump but ... YOU CAN DO IT!!!! You will find that once you get to a certain amount of minutes - for me it is about 10 - you will get past the mental block and you will be able to complete the run. Week 6 ends with a 25 minute run and I never thought I could do it ... but I did and I was so proud of myself, I am on week 7 now. I am 56 years old and have never been athletic and certainly never did any running in my life .... my only regret with doing the C25K is that I wish I had gotten round to it years ago!! So just grit your teeth and tell yourself 'I CAN do it and I WILL do it!' ... best of luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    It is crazy, but you can do it.

When you set out, tell yourself you'll just run for as long as you can. Any time you get past 8 minutes is a win, because that will be the furthest you've even run without a walking break. So if you have to stop for a few seconds walk after that, you've still made an improvement. But what will most likely happen is you will get to ten or twelve minutes and think 'well I might as well push to fifteen' and at fifteen you will think 'well sixteen is double my previous record' and at sixteen you'll think 'OMG I'm going to do it!' and ta-da!! You just ran 20 minutes and feel like a rockstar.
  • missfitmt
    missfitmt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to report that I FREAKING DID IT!!! It wasn't bad at all! I only felt my legs starting to give out at the last minute...that's when my mind was wondering when the bell was going to ding to indicate that I was done lol.

Thank you everybody for your positive words of encouragement!!! Breaking the run down into minutes helped me a lot...the other days of Week 5 involved running 15-16 minutes, but broken up. Day 3 was just an extra 4 minutes (which is a lot for a non-runner haha). Good music always helps, too.

Excited/scared for the next week! :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • Kegsey55
    Kegsey55 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yay! That's fab! Keep going you can do it all now!
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Yay! Well done! Don't be worried about the rest - this is the biggest hurdle, you will definitely manage it now.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I did Day 1 of Week 5 this morning. Has anyone else started week 5?

Congratulations OP on finishing the week!
  • missfitmt
    missfitmt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I did Day 1 of Week 5 this morning. Has anyone else started week 5?

Congratulations OP on finishing the week!

Thank you! I'm just at the end of week 7 now. How about you? Hope Day 3 goes smoothly for you :-)