Cambridge Diet

Options
anyone on Cambridge diet? add me im looking for new supportive friends to help each other along! xx:smile:

Replies

• Baloostika
    Baloostika Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    And what could this diet be about.? Never heard of it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    And what could this diet be about.? Never heard of it.

It's another bloody stupid starvation diet. Meal replacement with shakes and soups at around 500 cal a day.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    anyone on Cambridge diet? add me im looking for new supportive friends to help each other along! xx:smile:

Why are you on the Cambridge diet? I thought it was only for the morbidly obese.

It's a starvation diet, really. Not ideal for someone with only 15lb to lose.
  • gillporteous
    Options
    It's not a starvation diet at all!! Amazes me people who know nothing about a topic always feel the need to reply.

It's a meal replacement plan with steps to reintroduce carbs and other foods back into your diet as you move up the steps. It's to do with bmi not the amount you have to lose.

It's about portion control too.

X
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It's not a starvation diet at all!! Amazes me people who know nothing about a topic always feel the need to reply.

It's a meal replacement plan with steps to reintroduce carbs and other foods back into your diet as you move up the steps. It's to do with bmi not the amount you have to lose.

X

why do you need to 'reintroduce carbs and other foods back into your diet', why not just eat them while being in a calorie deficit?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

X

Initial phase: Sole Source: 3-4 Cambridge Diet meal products. 415-554 cals a day (1 week minimum, 12 weeks maximum)

Starvation diet.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

X

Initial phase: Sole Source: 3-4 Cambridge Diet meal products. 415-554 cals a day (1 week minimum, 12 weeks maximum)

Starvation diet.

Woah! That's bad and really dumb to try. Don't do it.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

X

Starvation diet.

Woah! That's bad and really dumb to try. Don't do it.

This^^
    Yeah you'll lose weight but will be miserable and hungry and put the weight back on, no matter how careful you are!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    "The core of the Diet in the UK is a very-low-calorie diet (VLCD), as low as 440 calories/day, combined with minerals, vitamins and fatty acids to reduce the loss of nutrients typical of low calorie restriction.
    The diet formula is intended to imitate the weight loss properties of starvation, while providing enough protein to protect lean tissue, the right level of carbohydrate to promote a mild ketosis and eliminate a sense of hunger, and the right levels of vitamins, minerals, trace elements and essential fatty acids to maintain good health. The meals are intended to combine all necessary food groups to satisfy a body’s nutritional needs, in order to allow a person to stop craving foods and overeating."

PASS.
  • Sparkle_Princess
    Options
    Oh dear I just googled it in Australia. No thanks, that is not safe to eat so little unless you have had major surgery like a gastric band or similar.
  • Pinkemi
    Pinkemi Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I am ashamed to admit that I did the Cambridge Diet for a bit. True I lost loads of weight but as soon as I started back onto food the weight just piled on. In 2 years after coming off it, I'm a lot bigger now then I was when I started. :-( I wasted A LOT of money on it as it's about £62 a week!
  • divinenanny
    divinenanny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My mom did this. True, she lost a lot of weight (I think about 20 kilos), and true it is still off. But that is because she hardly eats. And when she was doing it, she felt faint a lot. Her words: "Yeah, I can't work in the garden anymore because I faint when I do this". Not healthy! (Even though she did it with doctor's approval!!!)
  • gillporteous
    Options
    People who are saying this is awful no thanks etc etc you will be miserable....

Every one is different and what works for you doesnt always work for another person - i dont comment on your diet and your weight loss methods so you dont need to comment on mine or another persons.

And i can assure you i feel far from miserable i feel amazing and i look amazing too my skin is better and my energy levels are better than ever before.

Surely having a shake which ensures you are getting all the nutrients and vitamins your body needs is better than skipping breakfast or grabbing an unhealthy snack on the go which i was doing before i started.

:)
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    People who are saying this is awful no thanks etc etc you will be miserable....

Every one is different and what works for you doesnt always work for another person - i dont comment on your diet and your weight loss methods so you dont need to comment on mine or another persons.

And i can assure you i feel far from miserable i feel amazing and i look amazing too my skin is better and my energy levels are better than ever before.

Surely having a shake which ensures you are getting all the nutrients and vitamins your body needs is better than skipping breakfast or grabbing an unhealthy snack on the go which i was doing before i started.

:)

^^^^^^What happens when you come off the shakes? I certainly prefer eating /chewing REAL food than having a shake. I only have shakes to help after a weightlifting session..not as an actual meal.
  • gillporteous
    Options
    As I said that suits you to chew or eat food that's great I found something I enjoy and I'm losing weight! It suits me so I'm happy.

When I come off the shakes ill be maintaining by eating clean high protein low carb because I've found this to suit me.
  • LanaraVMitch
    Options
    I'm on this diet and it's been great for me.

I lost a stone in 2 weeks and the maintainers club means that I have not put any of it back on even though I'm back on normal food.

I agree that people tend to reply about topics that they have no idea about, it's definitely not a starvation diet and I've never felt hungry !!

Somethings work well for some people and don't for other's

Simples
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I definitely DO know about this diet, having tried it myself, and having gone with my mother in law and sister in law to do it.

If you don't think 500 calories a day is a starvation diet, that is worrying.

The shakes are full of chemical to stop you from feeling hungry. I stuck it out for about 2 weeks - by then I felt physically sick even looking at the shakes. My mother in law and sister in law, however, continued on the diet, one lost 4 stone, one lost 4.5 stone, and they have both piled over 5 stone straight back on since coming off it.

It doesn't teach you portion control, it doesn't teach you how to eat healthily, and it doesn't help you build a healthy relationship with food.

If you want validation for your starvation diet, join a Cambridge diet forum. This is MFP, and you aren't going to get approval here.