Veins and Stretchmarks.....Creepy

Options
Hello MFPers,

So, I have been eating healthy, exercising and losing weight and inches over the last 2 months. But I have noticed stretchmarks appearing and being waay more visible than I remember when I was bigger...what's the deal?

Also, I am noticing very strong veins (thick and greenish) on my inner arms moving into my chest area...WTH? Is this normal? I am lighter skinned so this is really noticeable on my complexion and it's kind of creeping me out. (where were the creepy veins before?)

Replies

• BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    The stretcmarks will look better over time. Keep well moisturized and hydrated, could take a while for the skin to firm up though- up to a year (sorry)
    Veins- I always have visible veins, but they show up more when I'm very warm. And I am very very pale skinned.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I have pale skin and I'm pretty lean, so I've always had prominent veins. I think it's fairly normal to see more veins as you get leaner. Your "creepy veins" have always been there, but they've been hiding under a layer of fat. Not sure about the stretch marks, though. I don't really have that situation. All I can say about the veins is learn to love it. I'm so used to mine that I don't see them as being unattractive at all. Take a look at some of the leaner people you know and see what's up with their veins. It might be reassuring to you. :flowerforyou:
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    As your weight is dropping you are probably noticing the strech marks more because the skin is not tightened. I know I notice it in areas too. They seem to be ggetting darker, but that is because they are relaxed now and will get better over time. The might not fully go away, but they will get better. I have scrawny arms for my size and I notice the dark veins in my fore arms all the time. When I use my arms more they seem to show darker. Not sure why, but I would not be bothered by it unlesss it is ghastly, then go see a doctor for it. But it is natural.
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have pale skin and I'm pretty lean, so I've always had prominent veins. I think it's fairly normal to see more veins as you get leaner. Your "creepy veins" have always been there, but they've been hiding under a layer of fat. Not sure about the stretch marks, though. I don't really have that situation. All I can say about the veins is learn to love it. I'm so used to mine that I don't see them as being unattractive at all. Take a look at some of the leaner people you know and see what's up with their veins. It might be reassuring to you. :flowerforyou:

Lol Thanks for the advice: learn to love it.
  • RosyBest
    Options
    As your weight is dropping you are probably noticing the strech marks more because the skin is not tightened. I know I notice it in areas too. They seem to be ggetting darker, but that is because they are relaxed now and will get better over time. The might not fully go away, but they will get better. I have scrawny arms for my size and I notice the dark veins in my fore arms all the time. When I use my arms more they seem to show darker. Not sure why, but I would not be bothered by it unlesss it is ghastly, then go see a doctor for it. But it is natural.

Yes, same here...they are popping up all over my arms, shoulders and even the crease where my arm bends. Yeah, I guess that does make sense...my skin is not as stretched out so now they are noticeable. Freaking skin lol
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options

Yes, same here...they are popping up all over my arms, shoulders and even the crease where my arm bends. Yeah, I guess that does make sense...my skin is not as stretched out so now they are noticeable. Freaking skin lol

Trust me deary, I understand! lol I always catch myself like poking at them trying to make them go away, as weird as that sounds
  • benlogan87
    benlogan87 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Haha, I like it when my veins are bursting out of my skin after a good workout!
  • JamesParsons7
    Options
    your vascular shunt mechanism is what causes veins to look more pronounced. so if you work out they will be more visible as the blood has been redirected to that area.

you couldnt see them before because you had too much subcutaneous fat between the muscle and the skin, and therefore weren't that visible.

Your genetics decide whether you are going to be vascular or not (Unless you are running external compounds) and cant do anything to naturally alter this. SOME people can be 15% bodyfat and be vascular others struggle to be vascular at 12%

stretch marks i have no definitive knowledge, but i would assume because there isn't as much tension in the skin, this allows for the stretch mark to become thinner and darker. Hard to explain via typing
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I am very veiny too - its normal!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Welcome to getting thinner
  • RosyBest
    Options
    your vascular shunt mechanism is what causes veins to look more pronounced. so if you work out they will be more visible as the blood has been redirected to that area.

you couldnt see them before because you had too much subcutaneous fat between the muscle and the skin, and therefore weren't that visible.

Your genetics decide whether you are going to be vascular or not (Unless you are running external compounds) and cant do anything to naturally alter this. SOME people can be 15% bodyfat and be vascular others struggle to be vascular at 12%

stretch marks i have no definitive knowledge, but i would assume because there isn't as much tension in the skin, this allows for the stretch mark to become thinner and darker. Hard to explain via typing

Thanks...that makes sense. If the fat is becoming less then the veins are becoming more visible. I guess its not a horrible thing...just have to get used to it.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    If it bothers you when wearing revealing clothing, you could just use body makeup. I use Sally Hansen Air Brush Legs cream. The spray on makeup is good, too, it just makes a mess of your bathroom. I like the cream for that reason.