If I didn't eat frequently, I'd be hungry all the time, why?

Options
2»

Replies

• 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I like to eat often, with the larger portion of my calories consumed later in the day. I work 12 hour night shifts three nights a week, so I think I am just used to eating later.

It doesn't matter when you eat, or how often you eat, as long as your total calories in are at a deficit. I like to eat often as I feel satisfied that way.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    2200 calories right now. I am trying to lose 1 pound a week. If I was trying to lose more than that I would have to do some substantial exercise to feel satisfied with what I was eatting. I lost 25 pounds over 6-7 weeks early this year by doing it 1.5 pounds a week as my goal but i HAD to exercise 400-500 calories a day AND eat those calories to feel ok with my diet.

What is your current weight and height?
  • x1v16
    x1v16 Posts: 66
    Options
    My current weight is 265 pounds and I'm 5 foot 9.

Btw I am going to take the advice to eat more fats, probably by eating more peanut butter along with carbs.
  • minizebu
    Options
    My current weight is 265 pounds and I'm 5 foot 9.

Btw I am going to take the advice to eat more fats, probably by eating more peanut butter along with carbs.

I think that you are hungry all the time because you are presently eating very close to your basal metabolic rate (BMR).

A man of your age, height and weight has a BMR of 2160 kcal/day (Mifflin St. Jeor calculation).

With a sedentary activity factor, your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) would be around 2600 calories, with more activity your TDEE would be higher.

Many people suggest that you should eat at a deficit of around 20% off of your TDEE. You would need to figure out what your TDEE is based on your actual activity level.

There is a BMR/TDEE calculator at this link: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

But, there are many other calculators around, so do some research to figure out what most accurately represents your activity level. Ultimately, you want your daily intake to fall somewhere between your BMR and your TDEE in order to lose weight. Eating at a deficit of around 20% won't leave you feeling as hungry as you have been.

(Edited to add: I just ran the numbers and 80% of 2600 comes out below your BMR. Try to keep your caloric intake above your BMR. I only put forth the sedentary activity level, because I have no idea how much activity you are actually doing. If you are exercising a few times a week, then your TDEE will be higher and the 20% deficit off of the TDEE will come out higher as well.)
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm a snacker. There's no getting around it. If I have the ability to eat all day long, I will especially at work!

I forced myself to do 200 calories every 2 hours and because I ate "healthy" I dropped 20lbs. But I was SO HUNGRY every 2 hours.

I think your meds and your mind could be working against you. Similar to being bored for some people. When I'm bored, food is the first thing I think about and then I think I'm hungry. But if I ignore it... and go for a walk, go outside, get my mind on somerthing else, I realize that I was not hungry. So its mental for me! That whole "what's your relationship with food" aspect I guess.

Are you in a setting where food is always available to you when you think you are hungry?
  • minizebu
    Options
    I'm a snacker. There's no getting around it. If I have the ability to eat all day long, I will especially at work!

I forced myself to do 200 calories every 2 hours and because I ate "healthy" I dropped 20lbs. But I was SO HUNGRY every 2 hours.

I think your meds and your mind could be working against you. Similar to being bored for some people. When I'm bored, food is the first thing I think about and then I think I'm hungry. But if I ignore it... and go for a walk, go outside, get my mind on somerthing else, I realize that I was not hungry. So its mental for me! That whole "what's your relationship with food" aspect I guess.

Are you in a setting where food is always available to you when you think you are hungry?

I would question if you are getting adequate protein as well.

With a decent intake of protein and a decent intake of calories at your first meal of the day, you simply won't be getting hungry every two hours. Sometimes, it really is about physiology not psychology.
  • maxphia32
    maxphia32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am a snacker so besides having my 3 meals a day, I eat 2-3 small snacks throughout the day. It is my preference and it works for me. If it keeps you on track to graze throughout the day on veggies and healthy snacks then I say to it. There is no wrong way, it is all about calorie deficit. :smile:
  • JamesParsons7
    Options
    well my friend, there is a hormone called renaline (SP) and that is secreted at USUAL times of eating.

this is why if you always eat dinner at 6pm and you don't, you get stomach pains.

you have to slowly change your eating habits and lower your renaline production
  • Panda_Rolls
    Panda_Rolls Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Keep eating your veggies. I've diary stalked too and noticed the same thing, small amounts of crap and nothing else. Some people don't/can't/won't workout so they eat less to create a calorie deficit and it's not necessarily good stuff. It seems a lot of people are fine with this as their weight loss plan, but I know I'd be crazy hungry too!
  • lauraleighsm
    Options
    I eat frequently. Probably every 2-3 hours, which helps me fight off the hunger. I eat a lot of veggies as my snacks but also pair it with something that either has protein or fiber. I'll make half a sandwich sometimes as a snack too.

I'm not a body builder so I don't eat massive amounts of protein, but I have found it helps me feel fuller.

Good luck!