Fail

Options
In your opinion what do you think makes a weight loss plan fail?

My 3 reasons why a weight loss plan MAY fail are :

- restriction (depriving yourself)
- setting unrealistic goals (expecting big weight losses every week)
- short term goals (wedding, prom, etc...)

What are your reasons?

Replies

• glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You can fail a diet but you can't fail a lifestyle;)
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Deprivation
    Inconsistency
    Excuses
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options

NICE

Exactly :)
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • MamaDuckN2MamaWow
    Options
    In my opinion, a weight loss plan always fails when it's used as a temporary solution. Like so many fad diets - it's do this really stupid, crazy exercise or drink this vile concoction for a week and you'll instantly be "high school skinny". Bah.

Top 3:

1. Unrealistic expectations - thinking the weight that was gained in 2 years will magically be lost in 2 weeks.
    2. Restriction bordering upon a Mental Disorder - where you're carrying a digital scale around and measuring your chewing gum.
    3. Not knowing the difference between want & need or the difference in bored, hungry, or thirsty.
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    my big three

-Laziness
    - Laziness
    - Laziness

OH wait that's just one. well I guess I could add in Excuses and not being attentive to what I eat. (eating processed rather than good wholesome foods etc)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

This. The changes a person makes in order to lose weight need to become a part of everyday life. Weight won't stay off if the habits don't change permanently.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I failed before because of deprivation and unrealistic expectations. I've learned a lot. For me it wasn't an issue of lifestyle it was an issue of not knowing how to cope with stress or anxiety effectively.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    Patience.

Consistency.
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    Options

^^^^^ (nodding)
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has different reasons for failure for me my biggest reason was a lack of commitment -- for whatever reason -- I was not willing to do what it took to reach the goal I desired. I didn't take the time to figure out what it was that I needed to be doing -- instead I made choices which were not going to help me reach my goal and then I made excuses for myself. Then I rationalized it all away and forgot about my goals.

In the past my only concern was for the scale -- not for my health and there is a big difference. I can make all the excuses that I want for my weight (I am busy and its easier to just eat prepared food. I am loved and I love myself no matter what my weight. I am happy with my life at this number... etc....)

This time I have made a commitment to my health and fitness -- it is not about the scale although that will surely be a by product of the choices that I am not willing to make for the rest of my life. It is about having the best quality of life and trying to do everything I can to make sure my time here will be for the longest period of time. There are no guarantees and perfectly healthy people die all the time -- but my morbid obesity was not going to play out in my favor.
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has different reasons for failure for me my biggest reason was a lack of commitment -- for whatever reason -- I was not willing to do what it took to reach the goal I desired. I didn't take the time to figure out what it was that I needed to be doing -- instead I made choices which were not going to help me reach my goal and then I made excuses for myself. Then I rationalized it all away and forgot about my goals.

In the past my only concern was for the scale -- not for my health and there is a big difference. I can make all the excuses that I want for my weight (I am busy and its easier to just eat prepared food. I am loved and I love myself no matter what my weight. I am happy with my life at this number... etc....)

This time I have made a commitment to my health and fitness -- it is not about the scale although that will surely be a by product of the choices that I am not willing to make for the rest of my life. It is about having the best quality of life and trying to do everything I can to make sure my time here will be for the longest period of time. There are no guarantees and perfectly healthy people die all the time -- but my morbid obesity was not going to play out in my favor.

I can totally relate to what you said.

I finally made a commitment to myself and my health. This was going to be for life.

I am taking the realistic approach, and it is helping me.
  • lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I failed before because of sheer laziness, no support, and an unrealistic idea of what a diet was.
  • dwendling63
    Options
    Stress. Stress will make my numbers lag. I can do the same fitness routine and diet the same and nothing comes off. My body will just go into shock and freeze up. I can take a day or two off and try to relax my system (from cardio / but still eat right) and it will jump start back into a calorie burning machine again.
  • kathyvalliere
    Options
    In the past my reason for failure is also my lack of commitment. I wanted a quick fix to my weight problem and when I didn't see the weight coming off quickly, I gave up. I also associated dieting with starving. Why bother to starve myself when the weight wasn't coming off... I was only kidding myself. I was not being honest with myself and I was not committed to losing the weight. Now at 56 I've been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. Now I have no choice, I have to change my eating habits and I have to lose the weight. My father died from complications of Type 2 Diabetes... I don't want to follow in his footsteps, so I am committed to losing this weight. I just wish I had the support at home, it would make it so much easier. :flowerforyou: