When do you run?

Options
So, it's become painfully clear to me (literally!) that my body likes running in the evening a lot better than running in the morning. Doing the same workout first thing in the morning feels a lot more effortful than doing it in the evening.
This seems bad, since most running events and clubs are in the morning. So, I'm wondering why this has been my experience. The only thing I can think of is that I'm dehydrated in the morning; but, I do drink water before I head out.

When do you run? When do you feel best?

Replies

• Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I try to run in the mornings for a variety of reasons. 1) Its hot here during the summer time and if I don't get it done early, it does not get done.2) I cant make excuses in the morning, where if I wait until after work I am to tired and stressed that I don't want to run I want to veg out. 3) I have done some running in the evening and I just don't feel right, having eaten all day and drank a ton of water, it all bounces around when I run and I get cramps, If I run in the morning this does not happen.
  • bulletproofkasper
    bulletproofkasper Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I run whenever I can fit it in, but nothing beats a late afternoon summers run! :flowerforyou:
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I run in the evening. I am not a morning person.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Early morning because it's the only time of day I have to myself. I usually down half a protein shake right before (a whole one is too much) otherwise I get a little nauseated.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    All workouts go better for me in the morning. I have no idea why. But for me, I get up, eat a little something, get dressed and go.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I *try* to run in the mornings, but my body is super sluggish in the a.m. However, I find the more frequently I force myself out the door in the still dark mornings, the easier it gets. And by easier, I mean not *quite* as torturous! But, running on lunch means running in full heat/humidity/sun and leaves me a mess (even with a shower) for the rest of the work day. I will get my miles in whenever I can, but I cant run late at night or I'll be awake all night...which isn't good either.
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    In the evenings. In the morning It takes me way too long to wake up and start giving 100%....mentally I'm like a whiny toddler. So annoying. I just perform much better at night and the biggest benefit is, when a I have a horribly sh!tty day at work, a good hard run takes it all away. It's like a 360 degree attitude adjustment. Best anti-stress medicine out there.

Morning or night, just do it at a time you feel like you can stick to. :flowerforyou:
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Usually mid-morning, after I get my kids sorted out, fed, dressed etc. Sometimes in the afternoon if it isn't too hot.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    When I'm being chased by zombies.

I do most of my runs in the morning, once the small child is off to school. Although, caveat, I work overnights, so "morning" may actually be my "evening."
  • GI_John_RN
    GI_John_RN Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    When I'm being chased by zombies.

I like your answer. I get a run in whenever I can. Tonight it was as it was getting dark. Sometimes it is in the early afternoon, which really sucks in the heat. It's not very often that I run in the morning, but I will occasionally.
  • aynhagenbarth
    aynhagenbarth Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I run in the morning 90% of the time. I do better when I am hydrating all day before my run rather than just having water right before in the morning.
  • andertonarms
    andertonarms Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You can run without additional water for upto 1 hour. Over an hour and it recommended to carry additional water. Most runners overhydrate: drink too much, to close to the run. Energy food in advance of running is as important. Say if you are planning a run when you get home before your evening meal, drink moderate water and eat bananas in the afternoon - it can make a difference. If you are planning to run after your evening meal, leave it at leat two hours and try no to eat to heavy a meal. Pasta, chicken, fish, salad etc is great.
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    As and when I can.....I'd like to try an early morning run but being a single parent I wouldn't be able to ....so for me mostly afternoons, and sometimes early evenings....! :)
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Both, I only have time for a short walk/run in the morning otherwise I would be getting up at like 4am (or earlier) as I already get up at 4:45 to get my 20 minutes in before work.
    Bigger runs in the evening as it's when I have time. I think come summer I'm going to have to adjust my schedule or get used to running very late or very early!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I run best in the afternoon or evening. I do however still sometimes run in the mornings if it's the only way I can fit it into my day. Afternoons are definitely better though
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I run any time of day. Long runs first thing in the morning, speedwork during lunch at work, and 5 mile easy runs on the way home from the office pushing my daughter in the jogger.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    4am. rain or shine.
    snow or hail
    minus 30 or plus 30.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I run in the mornings. I hate running when the earth has warmed up. I will run in the evenings or afternoon if I have to, but usually I am up by 6 AM and out the door.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run in the mornings but I can only manage my long Saturday runs at that time.

I have gut issues and evening runs are not fun but I have to do it once or twice a week.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Always early in the morning! I am a morning person, so by the time late afternoon rolls around, I am completely over the idea of exercising.