Any tasty recipes for someone who doesn't like vegies?

Options
I think my mother ruined me when she forced me to eat vegies that turned me off, like asparagus. Although I don't like a lot of vegies, I need to eat them. Any recipes (especially for lunch) where they're present but don't have that taste? That's a tall order, I know.

Replies

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    It's amazing what fresh vegetables combined with great preparation can do for vegetables. Most people way overcook their vegetables or steam them, bleh.

Here's an awesome carrot recipe. Not saying it's the healthiest, but...

GINGER CARROTS
    2 - 12 ounce cans of Canada Dry Ginger Ale (lesser quality will be markedly noticeable).
    1 - Small orange
    1 - Bag carrots
    1 - Bunch parsley
    1 - Tsp olive oil
    1 - TB butter
    1 - Tsp Cayenne pepper

Put ginger ale in small pot and cook on medium high heat.
    Squeeze orange into ginger ale.
    Reduce it by half.
    Cut carrots on the bias (slight diagonal) about 1/8" thick. A scalloped or wavy blade is even better :)
    Chop parsley.
    Heat upe a large stainless steel or cast iron skillet (non-stick won't work as well)
    Add olive oil
    Put in carrots and let sit! Dont stir or sautee or anything. You want to get a good sear. Depending on the heat and your skillet it should only take a minute or two.
    Add the ginger ale and stir the carrots.
    Cook uncovered on low heat until ginger ale is almost all gone
    Add buter, parsley, cayenne
    Toss and serve.

Too easy and so effing good.
  • alysnyder
    alysnyder Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That's a great question for September when there are tons of veggies in season. I agree with Vorgas - most people overcook their vegetables and kill the flavor. I also thing cooking them as part of the main dish helps; rather than treating them like an unfortunate side dish, look for recipes that cook everything together, using the flavor of the meat and spices to add to the veggies. I try to go fresh veggies as much as possible, avoiding the frozen bags and cans when I can. The easiest way to make vegetables taste good is to start with good tasting vegetables - fresh and in season. Here's a list of what's best each season: http://www.nourishinteractive.com/healthy-living/free-nutrition-articles/98-vegetables-by-season.

Start with one simple recipe that you can alter many ways: On medium, heat 2-3 tbsp of olive oil in large skillet. Dice 2-3 red potatoes with skin on and add to oil. Sprinkle with chili pepper (1-3 tsp, depending on taste). While it cooks, chop 1 onion - same size pieces as potato - and add to skillet. Stir everything. Slice 1 link of sausage into rounds and add to skillet. Stir. Chop 1 green pepper and add to skillet. Stir. Sprinkle all with chili pepper, salt, and a little cinnamon. I usually add a bit of chicken stock (1/4 c) if things start sticking to the pan.

Over time, there are a ton of variations, using whatever is in season. Replace one item at a time so you learn how to cook each one and what sort of flavor it will add to the dish. Replace the green pepper with eggplant or snow peas. Replace the potatoes with sweet potatoes or butternut squash or yucca root. Replace the sausage with ham or turkey or tofu or skip it altogether. Replace the chili powder and cinnamon with salt and honey or fresh basil and cracked pepper.

Good luck!
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    I love to slice zucchini, put it in a baking dish and top with some tomato sauce and mozzarella/parmesan cheese. Bake it until tender...it's fantastic!

Also, baked acorn or butternut squash is really sweet and tasty, too!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I used to hide mine in regular food...

Carrots shredded in spagetti sauce etc.

Google that or find veggies you like.

My husband isn't a big veggie eater so he started putting spinich and kale in his fruit smoothie...can't taste it but it's there.
  • jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions! I've put the ingredients on my shopping list. I'll have to work at it, but it will be worth it.