Donating blood

Options
It wasn't me, just a friend, but it has made me curious.
If you donated 475 ml of your own blood, how many calories would that be? And how would you log it into MFP? Especially, what kinds of nutrients are in it that go out of the window and you meed to replace?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Just carry on with your life. Everything doesn't have to be counted as a calorie deficit. If you eat well and are healthy you don't need to worry about replacing the nutrients and calories from blood donation.
  • elephant_in_the_room
    Options
    Rpt: it wasn't me ... And I'm still curious! Still want to know how many calories, what nutrients, it is and how you would log it.

Or the converse thing, if a bicyclist had used doping and had half a litre of blood extra.... Not that anyone would admit to doing that, of course...l
  • lauraleighsm
    Options
    That is a myth. I worked at a blood for 10 years. Your body replenishes the volume lost within 48 hours,
  • CaseyM1985
    CaseyM1985 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Different sources will say different things. Since you're body is having to work to replenish the blood you supposedly "burn calories." I've seen upwards of 400-600 (which is probably wayyyyy overestimated!).

In general, don't try to log it, just look at is as good weight loss karma by saving lives with your donation :)

You should be sure to rehydrate yourself with water, eat a good meal (lots iron, etc.)...
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Rpt: it wasn't me ... And I'm still curious! Still want to know how many calories, what nutrients, it is and how you would log it.

Or the converse thing, if a bicyclist had used doping and had half a litre of blood extra.... Not that anyone would admit to doing that, of course...l

Those pesky friends! I'd suggest an in depth Google search for inquiring minds. RPT: I wouldn't log it.