HELP!!!... need friends advice.. ANYTHING!!!

Options
Hello people!!! I am currently at Fort Knox Ky. I have 2 kids, a newborn and a 4 year old, my husband just deployed, and I have a 40 hr FT job. I was previously on the weightloss kick until I got pregnant unfortunately I gained 60lbs. which is triple the weight I had already lost..  all my hard work now Im trying to get back into it but now I have no husband(deployed), and an extra child, anyone have any advice, pointers, anything to help keep me sane? Best workouts I can do from home with good results, any food recommendations, as far weightloss products or, anything to keep me energized…. PLEASE HELP I AM DESPERATE, I know there are people out there that have had similar situations!! I need to lose weight for health reasons as well just feeling good about myself!

Replies

• dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    When I was working full time and had 2 little kids, I would get up at 430am and work out early before work- it was the only way to get it done. I recommend checking out a bunch of Biggest Loser DVDs from the library- they are awesome and free. Whatever you do, be consistent- that helps. Also have a small yummy preworkout snack awaiting you before your AM workout. You will look forward to waking up and eating it and have energy to work out.
    Good luck!
  • cm1985
    cm1985 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thats what i was afraid of, I guess the baby already wakes me up all night anyways why not just stay up when she wakes at 4am .. :( O well I have to get a workout in there somewhere, Thank you!
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Any workout DVD will work as long you do it. You have to find something you enjoy. Some workout DVDs are more cardio based, some more weight based. I enjoyed P90X because I don't really like cardio workouts.

It's going to be tough and requires a sacrifies, which you are well too aware of being a military wife. Your also dealing with your husband being deployed. Lots of emotions going on there. Reach out to the FRG. Maybe they can help in some way.
  • Jtorres326
    Jtorres326 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm not a mother, but I figure your time is a commodity w a newborn and a 4 year old so quick effective workouts will work best for you. Something like 10 minute trainer whenever you catch a break, or 30 day shred would be awesome and is less than 30 minutes. As for diet, I don't know if you're breast feeding, if you are, please talk to your MD because your calorie concerns will be different from someone who isn't nursing. Also, have active play time w your 4 year old, it'll make it fun for you and you would have to divide your time less. I wish I had better advice to give. Good luck!
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You don't have to work out to lose weight. A calorie deficit is all you need. Figure out your TDEE (with small children you're probably lightly active), calculate a deficit (I personally think no more than 500 calories/day) and go from there.

Personally, I think a really easy way to cut calories without feeling deprived is to eliminate bread, pasta, rice, etc. Eat veggies and fruit instead. A sandwich bun is about 220 calories, but usually doesn't provide a lot of nutrition (depends on the bread of course).
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    My favorite "fast" workout is Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred, the whole thing is less than 30 minutes so you can fit it in at any time of the day!

As far as food goes, I think meal planning is a MUST. Plan your meals for the week on the weekend so you have a plan to stick to and won't be tempted to go for "quick & unhealthy" food options. There's a lot of meal prep you can do ahead of time so cooking can go faster. Maybe investigate homemade freezer meals?
    0067808 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi - my two 'kids' are now 22 and 19 - but I remember it like it was yesterday. You'll be reaching out for 'treats' because you feel you deserve it after perhaps being up half the night. So allow yourself those treats - whether its Haribo, crisps, chocolate - but just make sure you fill in your food diary every single day. You'll realise that you can still have some nice things as long as you compensate by eating healthily the rest of the time. This isn't the time to starve yourself and feel deprived - you need your energy to look after your family - so use all of your calorie allowance and use it well (even if that means a handful of Haribos - sometimes nothing else will do!). Here's hoping your man gets home safely - and you 'wow' him with your new bod.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck! I would recommend some of the following. Find a few things you can do with your 4 year old that will burn calories...at that age my son would sometimes do part of a workout DVD with me...think kickboxing or something a little kid might find fun. Try to do this when the baby naps maybe? I don't know if the 4 year old is too big for a jogging stroller, b/c I never had one, but in a few months you could start doing that with the baby and maybe just hire a local teen to watch the 4 year old for an hour a couple of times a week? As far as food goes. Try prepping everything you can on Sundays or whatever day off you have that works. I often chop all the vegetables I will need for the week so when I get home from work all I have to do is cook the meal instead of doing prep. This also goes for things where I need the meat cut up like a stir fry. I will do it ahead of time so I have nothing to do when I get home!
  • spatulathumbs
    spatulathumbs Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have only one kid, but I remember the newborn phase very very well. Do you have a stroller and a carrier? Can you put bub on your chest in a Moby wrap or something, and just start going for walks? A wrap was essential for me when mine was new, and plus, carrying a few extra pounds when you walk is better than ankle weights. And cuter, too.

For me, videos didn't work. What little free time I had I just wanted to sit and rest. Or sleep. And you know what, that's ok too. You can do a lot just by walking every day. Get some bingo cards that your 4 year old can fill in and talk about what they see as you go, look for colors, letters, sing songs, just really engage them. And be gentle with yourself, too. You just had a baby, and your body will be healing from that for quite some time. If it were me, I would wait a bit to incorporate any really intense stuff just to make sure your body is healed and ready. I also noticed my milk supply changed when I exercised, so as PP said, be aware of that if you're breastfeeding. :)

Feel free to add me if you want a cheerleader. :)
  • cm1985
    cm1985 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys.. i guess theres not much I didnt already know I just needed a push. I have to do better for my self and my children...im not breastfeeding so I can basically do just abt anything. I will be a bit more sleep deprived but I have to make sacrifice s.