Shaking up the routine?

Options
First of all, I am so sorry for asking so many questions all the time - I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right! D:

Anyway, I have a gym routine given to me by a trainer at my gym and it's lately just been getting a bit monotonous. I do 10 minutes on the elliptical, 10 minutes on the treadmill, and then 10 minutes on the bikes - afterwards we go for a 30 minute swim but that part I'm fine with!

I find that after the first five minutes on the machine I find myself zoning out a bit and don't push myself to go a little bit harder. I was wondering if it would be better to do it in a 5 minute circuit -- so 5 minutes of elliptical, 5 minutes of treadmill and 5 minutes on the bikes at the rates my trainer gave me, and then re-do the circuit but try a little bit harder? I don't know if that'd interfere with the process though.

Also, is it a bit too focused on leg work? The only other machines in the gym (other than weight machines which I'm not moving onto yet) are the step machine and the rowing machine, but I'm not sure if I should try them just yet.

I'd ask my trainer but you have to book a personal 1 hour session -- which I don't have the time for and is a bit unnecessary for a few questions!

Thank you!!

(Oh -- I should probably mention I've been doing this routine for about 2 months but have only recently just picked up the calorie control!)

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Your trainer gave you a routine that is cardio followed by cardio followed by cardio followed by cardio?
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    What's your intensity? have you kicked it up a notch? Are you using an HRM to make sure that your workout still challenges you and raises your heart rate? Your body might have already adjusted to your workout. Time to increase your pace and/or resistance.

Also, have you thought about lifting?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    Your trainer gave you a routine that is cardio followed by cardio followed by cardio followed by cardio?
    This. Not even a beginners resistance training introduction? Consult a different trainer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Kegsey55
    Kegsey55 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Do you have to pay for the 1 hour session? If not, then don't worry about not using the whole hour.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Your trainer doesn't sound every good, to be honest.
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'd ask my trainer but you have to book a personal 1 hour session -- which I don't have the time for and is a bit unnecessary for a few questions!

Trainer won't answer a question about a routine you already paid for unless you pay for additional time to ask the question?

Definitely time for a new trainer--that is crazy!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I doubt if she paid for that. Crucial parts of this story are missing
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if it would be better to do it in a 5 minute circuit -- so 5 minutes of elliptical, 5 minutes of treadmill and 5 minutes on the bikes at the rates my trainer gave me, and then re-do the circuit but try a little bit harder?

Absolutely - whatever keeps you doing it.
    At some point in the next couple of months, try to add strength training too. But cardio and calorie control are the most effective producers of fat loss, so yes, do whatever it takes to get them done.
  • Mushiemallows
    Mushiemallows Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi! Sorry it took me so long to get back to you all.

No, the one hour session isn't paid for, it comes as a perk with my gym membership.

Yep, he only gave me cardio! I asked him before the programme was made if we could implement weights but he told me that it wouldn't be useful for now... Which I am now realizing is a little bit ridiculous... Though he did at least give us an induction on how to use the weight machines.

Oh: I'm using the HRM on the machines for the moment!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    (giving your "trainer" the benefit of the doubt) Maybe he wants you to work on your cardio first.. and once you hit your first wall, he/she will have you add weights.

Or he wants to help you find the cardio activity that you enjoy. or can stick to.

More likely, I don't think he cares. I'm with everyone else here. Find a new trainer... or a buddy that knows what he/she is doing.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just ask the people behind the desk (usually trainers) to show you a few basic weight training exercises so you can have proper form and the basics behind the moves. Once you learn what exercise works what muscle groups it wont' be so hard to figure out. Don't ask them for a workout routine. You can find them all over the internet and just do trial and error until you find one that works for you. Your membership should include them showing you the proper way to use the weights, do the exercises and use the machines.

Then just do the research.

This is what I did. Grilled the front desk people on different exercises using the weights in the gym and then made up my own routines. I also sign up for every class offered and take the stuff they teach in there and incorporate it into my workouts. (like if your gym offers a HIIT class) I do a lot of those myself. I make up my own circuits.

I did use my free trainer session, but I didn't use it properly. I didn't know what to ask back then. He showed me some really basic stuff, planks and pushups and a move on the trax system, but nothing that would push me now. I was new to exercise at that time though, so maybe it was good. i was offered a free session with an other trainer and I am going to see him on Tuesday. I'm going to have him show me a bunch of stuff. and I ask him to give me a "kick my butt" routine lol.