Food poisoning - what to eat

Options
What should you eat when you've got food poisoning.. or should you not eat? I can't stop pooing except since there's no food left in me it's just water. God.

Replies

• ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Good times! This has happened to me before. Drink lots of water and bland, easily digestible foods that don't have a lot of fiber. I like oyster crackers and chicken noodle soup. If you can stay hydrated, you will avoid a trip to the ER. YAY!!

Seriously, I hope you feel better.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Anything that stays down. If you're only able to keep water down, be grateful for that much. Sometimes things at body temperature go over better.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    BRAT diet..

Bananas, rice, applesauce, toast or tapioca.. you can add to this to test.. add ons include tea, yogurt and chicken.

basically low fiber foods that are easy to digest.

I've also heard coconut water is good for that sort of problem.

Just don't follow this for a long period.. It's not a healthy diet, obviously.
  • keithmustloseweight
    Options
    great I'll give that a go. thanks
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I would go with soup. and gatorade. maybe some rice or mashed potatoes.. those are easy on your stomach.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Stay hydrated. Try not to eat things with added sugar in them because it just continues the runs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Stay away from dairy until your gut has been fine for a day or two - it tends to be hard on the digestive system.
  • RAGGEDYANN1970
    RAGGEDYANN1970 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i've only had food poisoning once and i literally could not eat. try to drink water if you can. i threw-up so many times, even water was impossible. sorry
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    BRAT diet..

Bananas, rice, applesauce, toast or tapioca.. you can add to this to test.. add ons include tea, yogurt and chicken.

basically low fiber foods that are easy to digest.

I've also heard coconut water is good for that sort of problem.

Just don't follow this for a long period.. It's not a healthy diet, obviously.

NO NO NO! Not for food poisoning! You want your body to get RID of what's in it, not bind it up so that it can't. That's why the body is reacting the way it is to whatever bad food was eaten. It's trying to dispel it.

OP: if liquids are the only things you can keep down then I'd go with broths. Also because you're losing so much water I would suggest making Gatorade ice cubes to suck on to at least get some electrolytes and fluid in. You shouldn't have any issues with sucking on the cubes and it might at least give you some hydration.