• kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thank you!!
  • treimnitz
    treimnitz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with this message.
    I got to my weight goal (and more) once before and gained back 50 pounds when being pregnant. I just gave birth about 7 weeks ago and have to lose 30 pounds to get back to my pre-pregnancy birth weight. Unfortunately, I was advised NOT to breastfeed, so it won't be easy losing the weight.
    Reading this helps. At times, I feel such lack of motivation or even ability. But I was strong enough before to lose the weight, so I know I can do it again! :)
    Thank you for reminding me of this.
  • JessicaBR13
    JessicaBR13 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    :heart: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • NurdyNurse
    NurdyNurse Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    :smooched: Very nice post.
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. Thank you, OP!:smile:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    A lot of truth in that post, and it is written with respect. Everyone needs to read this, apply it to themselves, and learn how to nicely relay it to others in the way the OP did. Thank you!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I find learned helplessness fascinating, as a teacher, and I can see it in myself in competitive sports. Thank you for an interesting post.
  • wapan
    wapan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You've inspired me to get off my butt and go refill my water bottle. :-)

Thank you for the reminder that our success is built on our positive choices.
  • LMJS
    LMJS Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    A fantastic post. Very thought provoking and so very true.

• mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    So true. Thanks for the brilliant post.

ETA: It was a big change in my thinking to realize that if a "diet" that I had lost 60 lbs on and then gained the weight back after I could not stay on said "diet", the failure was the "diet" and not me.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    "Learned Helplessness theory is the view that clinical depression and related mental illnesses may result from a perceived absence of control over the outcome of a situation."

Big oversimplification when applied to clinical depression, anxiety, etc. May be true for some for weight loss.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    In for awesome!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    "Learned Helplessness theory is the view that clinical depression and related mental illnesses may result from a perceived absence of control over the outcome of a situation."

Big oversimplification when applied to clinical depression, anxiety, etc. May be true for some for weight loss.

Because you obviously missed a word in that statement, I bold-faced it for you. Only sith-lords deal in absolutes. Nothing in that statement minimalized clinical depression or other such disorders.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options

If I have learned to be helpless does that mean I am helpless to unlearn my own helplessness?
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options

I was recently diagnosed with depression, which I realize I have struggled with my entire life. Doesn't mean I can't accomplish great things. Just means that every once in a while, I will become completely and inexplicably overwhelmed, and that daily tasks become a struggle.

A few years ago I changed my diet and began exercising regularly. I lost a great deal of weight, got a new job, and felt amazing. Earlier this year, I fell into a slump which prompted me to seek treatment. I am now taking medication, in addition to eating a healthy diet and exercising regularly.

Some people will need a bit of extra help. Diet and exercise may not cure all. The key is being proactive in doing what you can to live the healthiest life you can. I'm not perfect. Sometimes I fail. But I get right back up again.

Great post.