5k to couch

Options
_Waffle_
_Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
I've been running far too much lately and I need to find a program that will help me ease back into the sedentary life properly. I tried just quitting cold turkey but it didn't work. I fell right back into the same trap. After two weeks off I ended up doing a week with four 6 mile runs and then a 17 mile adventure on the weekend. Sure I walked a tad bit of it in the heat but I'd take a walk break and find that I felt too good and would start running again.

This morning I got up and instead of running I sat on the couch and did nothing. This was really difficult to do. I didn't even dare to look at my running shoes. I won today and didn't run but how do I know I'll find the motivation to just sit on the couch tomorrow? What I need is some sort of structured plan to help me graduate from running to just sitting on the couch. I heard about 5k to couch. Has anyone else tried this? I realize I might need to do the 10k to 5k program first but I'm willing to try really hard at finishing this by year's end.

Let's to this together people! We can succeed if we try and encourage each other.

.jpg

Replies

• escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You just have to work at it! Buy a new video game!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    hahahhaha. i'd like to hear success stories from folks who go from marathon runner to refrigerator runner.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Suck it up, buttercup. Sometimes adults have to do things that they don't enjoy.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Order a pizza and pick a movie on Netflix. You need to make this program work for you.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I managed to do it for quite a few years, but I tried it again, saying I could just do it once, and it snowballed from there.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Just remember to eat right while you attempt this, you need to properly fuel for the couch, potato chips and full sugar pop is best so that you quickly enter the "food coma" it will really increase your on the couch endurance.
  • kpush910
    kpush910 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend binge-watching an entire season of Breaking Bad. Or Mad Men, or Downton Abbey, whatever floats your boat. 13 straight hours of TV watching will definitely mold your butt to the couch. Good luck.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    OP honestly, I could give you a few "tips and tricks" but what this all comes down to is desire. If you want it bad enough you will do it. No excuses. Everyone has to make sacrifices.

Do you think it was easy letting the jungle I call my lawn go another weekend unmowed, while I powered through 3 seasons of breaking bad? Or staying up until 4 am every night playing Call of Duty or World of Warcraft? Was I tired? You bet. Did i quit? heck no. I popped open a diet mountain dew and powered through darnit.

Do you know how hard it was to not see the sun fro three days? Take a Vitamin D pill and suck it up buttercup
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    you got this.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Just remember to eat right while you attempt this, you need to properly fuel for the couch, potato chips and full sugar pop is best so that you quickly enter the "food coma" it will really increase your on the couch endurance.
    The Itis!

xPJqqdM.png
  • spacepunk
    spacepunk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    LOL!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend binge-watching an entire season of Breaking Bad. Or Mad Men, or Downton Abbey, whatever floats your boat. 13 straight hours of TV watching will definitely mold your butt to the couch. Good luck.

I don't know...that my be a bit too much, too soon. OP might get hurt overtraining like this.

OP...I'd advise just easing into it with some sit coms or something...maybe just take whenever you have a few moments, just sit on the couch and really let yourself get into a good rhythm. Eventually, you'll be spending all of Saturday and Sunday with your *kitten* glued to the couch. I also recommend having someone around to make refrigerator runs for you.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You might have a Running Disorder. You should consult a professional, if you keep returning to the same pattern over and over no one here can help you.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    OP. I highly recommend Chinese delivery and a good remote with excellent batteries. Also, as has been stated video games.

The Chinese food will have you so sodiumed up you won't feel like doing anything. If you are forunate enough, you can even pu tyourself into a nice food coma ensuring your adherence to the couch.

Try to find a video game that has overlapping stages and missions you need to accomplish. An old time favorite of mine was Sid Meier's Civilization 2. I remember many a night when I was younger, telling myself I will go do X as soon as I discover this technology. Then by the time I discovered that technology, I was in a war with Egypt, and said, "I will go do X once I defeat the Egyptians." It would take hours and hours before I got to a good stopping point.

ske_fat.jpg
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    OP. I highly recommend Chinese delivery and a good remote with excellent batteries. Also, as has been stated video games.

The Chinese food will have you so sodiumed up you won't feel like doing anything. If you are forunate enough, you can even pu tyourself into a nice food coma ensuring your adherence to the couch.

Oh good! I had Panda Express last night. I think it's a sign that I'm on the right path to success. Let me make sure I have good fresh batteries. I didn't think of that. One trip across the room and I might feel like walking down the hall, then I'd be out the door and running down the road. It snowballs these bad decisions.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    GTA 5 is being released on September 18th, can you wait that long? :laugh:
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    OP honestly, I could give you a few "tips and tricks" but what this all comes down to is desire. If you want it bad enough you will do it. No excuses. Everyone has to make sacrifices.

Do you think it was easy letting the jungle I call my lawn go another weekend unmowed, while I powered through 3 seasons of breaking bad? Or staying up until 4 am every night playing Call of Duty or World of Warcraft? Was I tired? You bet. Did i quit? heck no. I popped open a diet mountain dew and powered through darnit.

Do you know how hard it was to not see the sun fro three days? Take a Vitamin D pill and suck it up buttercup

Hahahaha