Snacks Foods that help appetite?

Options
I need some suggestions here. I am going over my calories by just a little bit on some days. LIke yesterday I was so hungry all day. I ate healthy foods, but I was still hungry. What are some things you all have found that will quench an appetite for a while? I can munch on raw veggies, but that doesn't stay with me. What do you do on days that you are just hungry! Would appreciate some snack advice along with whatever else will help. :smile:

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting plenty of protein (egg, yogurt, lean meat, cottage cheese, etc) and healthy fats in your diet as both of those will help you feel full longer. A lot of people say fiber but as you've already found out, some fiber sources just don't cut it - I'm the same way with raw veg and some raw fruits too - they tend to leave me feeling just as hungry if not more hungry after. Also make sure you're drinking plenty of water as sometimes the body signals hunger when you're really dehydrated.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My go to right now is 5tlbsp of egg whites on toast, I'm certain I'll be sick of it in a few weeks but it's surprisingly satisfying and only 89 calories (my bread is 46 cals per).

I use to do liquids instead of food if I was feeling weirdly hungry. Warm liquids make me feel fuller than a snack sometimes.

Soups that are ready to pour and smooth or broth (high in sodium, but oh well) Generally 15-30 calories per cup.

Unsweetened vanilla or chocolate almond milk. 30-40 cals per cup.

Black coffee or plain non-herbal teas are natural appetite suppressants, they tend to work for roughly 1hr. 5 cals? I don't even log my black coffee.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Something high in protein. Tuna fish, pure protein shake, even beef jerky (watch out for sodium nitrite, a nasty carcinogen) along with healthy fats. I avoid simple carbs because they're neither long-lasting, or particularly nutritious.

Oh, water, water water! It'll send you to the bathroom more often, but water is extremely filling, actually!
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I use some protein items, like almonds, lo fat baby biel cheese, vanilla lo fat greek yogurt with fresh fruit, a small piece of bread/cracker with hummus.

Protein curbs the hunger better than store bought snacks.
  • cindi0856
    cindi0856 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I find that if I don't mix a protein with my veggies or fruit, the snack doesn't stay with me long also, so I try and always add a protein, cottage cheese, hard boiled egg, plain Greek yogurt... one of my favorites is refried beans.. low cal, high protein. keep with it, it will get easier!
    Add me if you like :flowerforyou:
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    When I go walking it is with a one litre bottle of water, when I finish my big walk I feel full. Less likely to eat for a couple of hours, water keeps my food schedule in check , plus flushes the kidneys and is important with passing high fibers through the body's system.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    My go to right now is 5tlbsp of egg whites on toast, I'm certain I'll be sick of it in a few weeks but it's surprisingly satisfying and only 89 calories (my bread is 46 cals per).

I use to do liquids instead of food if I was feeling weirdly hungry. Warm liquids make me feel fuller than a snack sometimes.

Soups that are ready to pour and smooth or broth (high in sodium, but oh well) Generally 15-30 calories per cup.

Unsweetened vanilla or chocolate almond milk. 30-40 cals per cup.

Black coffee or plain non-herbal teas are natural appetite suppressants, they tend to work for roughly 1hr. 5 cals? I don't even log my black coffee.
    chocolate almond milk sounds great! I'll have to try it!
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Something high in protein. Tuna fish, pure protein shake, even beef jerky (watch out for sodium nitrite, a nasty carcinogen) along with healthy fats. I avoid simple carbs because they're neither long-lasting, or particularly nutritious.

Oh, water, water water! It'll send you to the bathroom more often, but water is extremely filling, actually!

I've been doing more protein. In fact I go over my protein number on here everyday. I guess that's ok to do. I definitely have to watch the sodium because I tend to swell. I think I need more healthy fats.
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My current favorite snack is hummus and pretzel chips.
  • 2aycocks
    Options
    All of these sound very good. I will definitely try the Almond milk. I've been told this before. I probably need to eat something like a boiled egg during the day as a snack instead of carbs.

I have the Dynamize Elite Vanilla protein powder that I mix for a shake. But unless I put something in with it, like even 1/2 a banana, it doesn't' stay with me long at all, which I find weird.

I thought Herbal tea of some kind was supposed to be good when losing weight? anyone know which one it is? Green tea?
    And I guess I will have to try Hummus. I've never had it before. Just looks kind of "grainy" to me. Like biting on sand. ha! But I'll try it. Open to anything here.
  • 2aycocks
    Options
    My weight loss has been slow, but steady. I have been on here for 5 months and lost 15 pounds. But I have lost 10 inches, so that was very encouraging to me!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I have found hard boiled eggs to be very filling. If I'm really cutting my calories and just feel hungry anyway, psyllium husks mixed in with plain water will slow digestion and keep you full longer. A tablespoon is less than 20 calories.
  • Avarindria
    Avarindria Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Trail mix (nuts, dried fruit, and dark chocolate) and lots of water! :)
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I like Quest bars high in protein and fiber and keep me full for about 2 hours.
  • l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    after lunch at about 2pm I have been eating about 6 oz of vanilla low fat yogurt. its good and keeps me till I can eat dinner. only about 89 calories I think
  • carter1092
    carter1092 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Protein bars! I eat about three of them a week and they're like "candy" to me now. Anything with at least ten grams of protein (in my perspective) can keep you satisfied up until your next meal. I also drink green tea with raw honey daily ... keeps me satisfied as much as the protein to be honest.

If you're not doing so already, try to keep busy if you're craving something when your body isn't hungry. Tidy-up your bedroom, read fanfiction online, ride a bike, drive to places to do some window shopping, talk to a friend or call someone ... just about anything that would keep you distracted up until "eating time"!
  • txguard61
    txguard61 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Healthy fats and long digesting proteins like egg & milk. Whey protein digests pretty quick and can raise your insulin a bit.

My favorite midday snack is 0% Greek yogurt with cinnamon and stevia(1/2 cup) then I add 1/4 cup of raw walnuts for my healthy fat. Thats just one idea...come up with some. Use some 0% fat dairy or super low fat meat and add a little healthy fat to it. Probably plenty of combinations. I also stay pretty hydrated, in Houston you have to though.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day? Your body might need more food.
  • txguard61
    txguard61 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    And....One of my triggers to eat (when I don't need to) is sitting in front of the TV. Once I broke that habit I stopped eating needlessly. Figure out if you have any triggers and avoid them like the plague
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    If you go to the forum page and search 100 calorie snacks a thread should come up with lots and lots of good ideas.

I like rice crackers; celery with peanut butter; almonds; dates; cereal with berries and low fat Greek yogurt.

I know what you mean, sometimes you just need something solid - why not try a measured piece of cheese (so you can count it) grated onto some rice crackers?

I like the idea of hard boiled egg too - I usually have two eggs for breakfast!

Well done on your weight loss so far :flowerforyou: