diagnosed diabetes type 2

Options
Hello everyone, my name is Dan, I live in the UK and in my early forties :sad:

In November 2012 I was diagnosed type 2 diabetes and was a very bad eater, I ate all the wrong foods, fried fast food, takeaways, cola and other sodas, although I am not a great chocolate or sweat eater and dont drink or smoke, so that's one good thing. Well after Christmas I decided to do something about my weight. I started by cutting the soda drinks down to diet or low calories versions, I know not perfect but it was a start, also I cut out loads of the fast food takeaways, again not fully but did cut down.

I saw a dietician that was arranged by my doctor and they gave me some advice and have to see them for a few sessions, and have realized I have been given a wake up call here and need to get healthy. So last Monday I have cut out all fast food, all fried food and joined this site. I have been watching my calories, weighing my food and can honestly say I have not been that hungry as I am eating at the same time each day.

I have not started exercising yet, which I know I got to do, but I did my weigh in this morning and the scales have said I have lost 6lbs in a week, although I only wanted.expected to be losing 2lb a week, which im sure will happen soon. But im sticking to it and have cut out all soda drinks now and only drinking bottled water and also drink tea (about 4 mugs of tea a day)

The main reason I want to lose weight is really simple, im not healthy and now my body is starting to feel the effects of bad dieting, also going back to Florida this September for a vacation/holiday and would love to have a flat stomach by then.

ok think I have waffled enough. look forward to reading your posts and tips.

Dan

Replies

• ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    greeting Dan.
    I too am a diabetic....dx'd at 33 yrs old :sad: That was a while back.
    My only advice...eat per your treatment plan and start exercising now...even if it's just walking 30 minutes a day for now. Just start.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Being diagnosed as type II in dec of 2011 was also my motivation for getting my act together so I know where you are coming from! It doesn't always drop fast, it's not always easy, but its one day at a time with both small and big wins to pull you through!! Start doing whatever exercise you can do as soon as possible. For me it was swimming, now its walking, and some pilates. My joints, especially my knees do best in the water, but walking has become easier the more I do it. I also purchased a tool that syncs with MFP that tracks my steps, calories, stairs, etc. For me it was the Fitbit1. Everyone has their favorites, but anything that shows how far you've come and pushes you to surpass it a little bit more the next time is a good thing!!

Best of luck on your journey. You have the right mindset, have started making great decisions/choices and don't beat yourself up if you slip now and then. This is real life, and we need to learn to live in it our way!!
  • lorettamazzoni3
    Options
    My name is Loretta , Im 45 years old and a type 2 diabetic. I have ALOT of wieght to lose and really have no idea where to start. I need lots of help. Right now Im giving up pasta and bread as a start. I am a huge water drinker. I have a problem with sticking to diets......I need to get moving with exercise. I have a sit down desk job. Please if anyone can help me get motivated pleasse do. Send me some tips on execise , food options , meal planning any kind of help would be appreciated! thank you!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Welcome =)

T2D diagnosed just this past April & 44 yrs old :grumble:

Good luck with managing your diabetes, you've passed the first hurtle :wink: Some folks never get that far :blushing:
    I've been able to get control by eating to my meter but still getting used to my new 'normal'.

The site below has helped me immensely to understand how this happened, how it continues & how to arrest the progression. Hope it helps you too.

http://bloodsugar101.com/

The site below is a great forum for specific questions & to interact with people regarding specific issues related to D
    Tudiabetes.com

Since being diagnosed, I've gone LCHF & lost 23 #'s effortlessly. Weight training has always been part of my life, but now that my BG's are within normal range (for non-diabetic people vs diabetic people) I can actually see gains & changes in my body.

Good luck and Welcome to MFP:drinker: .
  • Hi everyone my name is chrystal and I'm also a type 2 diabetic . I got diagnosed in may 2007 a day after I turned. 21. Now I have had diabetes for a while . So I know where your coming from. I have joined my fitness pal in the past but didn't stick to logging everything I ate and drank etc. This time is different cause I'm ready for a change both emotionally and physically. To be honest my dad passing away from diabetes complications last year was my wake up call. So anyway with the help of this app and special k im hoping to change my lifestyle for good. I'm looking for new friends . So if you are too feel free to add me.
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Dan, just take it day by day. I was diagnosed diabetic in July 2011. My A1C at that time was 8.7, it is now 5.8. I was put on metformin but have been off it since April 2012. When I was first diagnosed I also went to a nutritionist to help me with my eating. The main thing to remember is that everything in moderation. My doctor told me that I can eat everything that I would normally eat. I just need to watch portion size and the amount that I eat. With just diet I was able to lose 25lbs. When I started exercising I lost another 25lbs. I have gained a little back but I am working on losing another 30lbs. I decided that I would not let diabeties define who I was. My doctor told me that I am not his normal patient. Most patients are willing to have a higher dosage of medication instead of changing their lifestyle. I don't want to be on medication so I will do whatever I need to stay off it. I have my next appointment on 9/13 to have my physical and my A1C checked. I am bound and determined that my sugar will still be in the normal level. Feel free to add me. Good luck on your lifestyle change journey.