Getting back at this...

Options
I've been on MFP for over a year. Had good success initially. Then I quit smoking - 13 months ago - and plateaued. So with that, my motivation fell. However, with working out I felt better, despite the scale not moving much. I went down a jean size while staying at the same weight.

So, here I am again. Havent been to the gym in six weeks. September marks the end of summer and time to get moving again. I really want to run - but I have flat feet so one run causes pain for days. I am going to try Barefoot Science insoles this week and am so excited about the prospect of running pain free.

I eat well during the week - and then screw it all up on the weekend.

My goal is to work out 5x a week in some regard - walking dog (FatJack), elliptical, bike, swimming, and hopefully running. I need to get my *kitten* moving again.

What motivates you all to keep going and not eat away the weekend??? Especially with Football season commencing!?!

Replies

• spgebhart
    spgebhart Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with this too, so if you find the answer, tell me! hahaha

I think planning meals over the weekend helps because then I'm not as tempted to eat out. It's easier for me to stay on point during the week even without planning, but I think by Saturday I just want to eat something without thinking so hard about it. Which is a habit that caused me to gain weight in the first place! haha.
  • vicrich82
    vicrich82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Planning is definetly the Key for getting through the weekends. Letting your friends and family know your goals helped me as well as they did their best to eliminate some of the usual temptations.

I plan one cheat meal a week, usually saturday night. Try to avoid the alcohol though if you can, it destroys my resolve instantly.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Do you use the MFP app on your phone? I do, and I love the weekly summary button. It shows a graph of not only how many cals you eat each day, but gives you the weekly average. So when I go a bit over on the weekends (WINE on Saturday nights...kills my cals for the day!), it usually averages out to below my goal anyway. I know it's totally psychological, but it reassures me to see my weekly average below that line.

Congrats on quitting smoking (15+ years here, quit in 1999!), congrats on continuing to work out even though you weight plateaued, and congrats on dropping a jean size!
  • Eabec
    Eabec Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Good idea about the weekly intake and reviewing on the weekends.

I spend most of sunday mornings planning my week and cooking for a week. That help lots. Just need to avoid the "i had a long day and wont go to the gym" excuses

Thanks!!!!!!!!
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS ON NOT SMOKING!!! If you can do that, you can do anything you set your mind to!! :wink:
  • mikesgirl71
    mikesgirl71 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes! Awesome on quitting smoking. Working on that now. Do you mind me asking how you went about it? My big problem is making myself work out. I always seem to have excuses! Even though it is for a small amount of time in my day! Good luck to you :smile:
  • Eabec
    Options
    Quitting smoking after nearly 20 years wasn't easy - but honestly, wasnt hard.

I tried all methods before. Never worked. I talked to my doc about Zyban (Wellbutrin). After 6 weeks of taking it, picked my quit date and haven't looked back. I stopped the Zyban shortly after that. My only side effect was having 2 Martinis while taking the zyban while in Vegas - and I dont remember six hours of my life!! oh well, vegas.

I wouldnt change quitting for anything. I'll keep the extra weight on before I go back to smoking!
  • bob_day
    Options
    I really want to run - but I have flat feet so one run causes pain for days. I am going to try Barefoot Science insoles this week and am so excited about the prospect of running pain free.

Have you had flat feet all of your life? If so, your pain may result from your
    running posture, and not your flat feet. My feet are also flat and running became
    very painful for me. Nothing, including molded arch supports, helped until I read
    Christopher McDougall's book, "Born to Run". When I adopted the running
    posture he recommends and switched to "minimal" running shoes, which
    have virtually zero arch support, my foot pain soon went away, and has stayed
    away for well over a year now.
  • Eabec
    Options
    Very interesting. I will check that out! I have heard some about the running posture. Thanks for the advice!