Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What shall I have for dinner tonight?

I work away from home every other week for 5 days. I am running out of things to eat in my hotel room. All low cal choices are cold and getting boring - is there anything I can get - even if its fast food that comes in under 600 cals??? I have 900 left but always like to leave room for a glass of vino!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    I work away from home every other week for 5 days. I am running out of things to eat in my hotel room. All low cal choices are cold and getting boring - is there anything I can get - even if its fast food that comes in under 600 cals??? I have 900 left but always like to leave room for a glass of vino!

Steak and potato

Tacos

Omelet and home fries

Chicken/Tuna salad sandwiches
  • alisam567
    alisam567 Posts: 34 Member
    I should have mentioned I have no access to a kitchen so whatever I get has to be 'eat now'
  • clbortiz
    clbortiz Posts: 98 Member
    Wendy's tends to be my fast food place of choice if I am going to go that route (usually once every couple of weeks or so). I usually get either the Berry Almond Chicken salad, I use one dressing packet cause two is just too much for me, 410 cal with one packet, the Ultimate Chicken Grill Sandwich, 390 calories or I get a sour cream and chive potato (no butter) with a small chili and pour the chili over the potato, 500 total calories.
  • alisam567
    Ah I am in England - Wendy's are few and far between! I have a Burger King and a KFC - I have managed to print off nutritional guidelines for both and may be indulging in a double rodeo burger and two glasses of wine! ;-) that will leave me with a deficit of 1cal for today! Hey every calorie counts eh??
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    These are my safe foods for times like this
    Salads
    Yogurt
  • alisam567
    Thats the problem - I am bored of the cold salad, yogurt, fruit combination. I want something I can really eat! As long as I stay within my count for the day I deserve the odd treat I think!
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Any Mcdonald's nearby? 6 Chicken nuggets and a small fry is around 550, 600. Decent meal if you're bored of fruit and salads!
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Thats the problem - I am bored of the cold salad, yogurt, fruit combination. I want something I can really eat! As long as I stay within my count for the day I deserve the odd treat I think!

What fast food places do you have nearby you, is it just burger king and KFC.... I would get maybe a whopper jr, no mayo and maybe small fries or if they have like apples or something as a side. KFC.. I love those mashed potato bowls there.. I think they have a smaller version of those that have less calories?
  • MudDancer
    MudDancer Posts: 151 Member
    If you are in England doesn't M&S have a healthy line of take away meals?
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    If you have a sonnys you can have their grilled chicken breast, babked beans and once slice of garlic bread for less that 600 cals.

If you have a logans you can have mesquite wood grilled chicken breast and an order a fries and their health nut salad for around the same depending on your dressing for the salad
  • alisam567
    yes but I cant reheat anything - so its got to be cold or cooked for me ;-) I think tonight a double rodeo (504 cals) no fries and two glasses of Red wine will be just fine!! ;-) tomorrow I may even venture out and sit in a restaurant by myself! :drinker:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Are you bringing food from home now? Do you have to fly? Are you driving?

I'm in a hotel every other week and I don't eat the food there because someone found a cockroach one time. I pack a cooler and some of my tricks include:

Hard boiled eggs
    Avocado and tuna
    Pre-cooked chicken or pork skewers (I make them the night before I leave and pack 'em to go)
    Popcorn
    Peanut Butter and Apple
    Pre-cooked roasted chicken and ratatouille

I don't usually go out because it's only one night, but if I had to I would opt for sushi or a sandwich somewhere.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    I looked up KFC. You could get a grilled chicken breast with mashed potatoes, and either green beans or corn and it will be under 500 calories. Add 1 biscuit to that and its under 600 calories. I think you can pick 2 sides. Not sure what the meals come with.

This website lets you build a meal and see how many calories it is!

http://www.kfc.com/nutrition/
  • alisam567
    Thank you everyone for your answers - clearly I had already decided I was going to damn well have a burger! I think I was looking for affirmation! ;-)

..... it has told me that there is clearly soooooo much more choice in the States though for take out food! its made me really really hungry now!
  • alisam567
    Are you bringing food from home now? Do you have to fly? Are you driving?

I'm in a hotel every other week and I don't eat the food there because someone found a cockroach one time. I pack a cooler and some of my tricks include:

Hard boiled eggs
    Avocado and tuna
    Pre-cooked chicken or pork skewers (I make them the night before I leave and pack 'em to go)
    Popcorn
    Peanut Butter and Apple
    Pre-cooked roasted chicken and ratatouille

I don't usually go out because it's only one night, but if I had to I would opt for sushi or a sandwich somewhere.

Thanks for this I am here all week - there is no fridge in my hotel room so pre packing food for more than one day is not an option. I get the train here and once I am here I am stuck! I will go out with friends one night a week when I am here and I usually do extra workouts to make up for it! To be honest if I could just overcome my fear of sitting in a restaurant alone - this would probably be a lot easier
  • Teresava77
    Teresava77 Posts: 43 Member
    Have you tried the salad and fruit bar at a morrisons? - yum even if you are fed up of other salads. You could even get some hot chicken there to go with it.
  • toshie333
    toshie333 Posts: 295 Member
    Hi
    I'm away alot and same as you have no heating appliances so:

Mxs
    - fuller longer chicken pesto flatbread (amazing and substantial) about 320 cal
    - fuller longer smokey chilli beef x cheese wrap 380 cal I think
    - fuller longer feta and bean salad is amazing about 400
    -count on us tomato chicken pasta salad yum! 360
    Normal Mxs
    -ham x egg sub 390 cal
    -hoisin duck wrap 285 cal
    -mooli wraps 140-150 cals (3types) lots of eating x feel
    Naughty as tasty.

Could you buy a salad bowl from
    Mxs, get cooked chicken strips x pot of fruity cous cous x add all
    Together. Sooo nice done this many times.

They also do ham x egg or ham x potato salad for 160 cals near the salad bit not sandwich bit and can add prawns etc?

Subway do lots under 400 cal and steak x cheese one is my fave maybe about 400?

I know these are all cold but they are tasty cold not boring cold hopefully. Xx
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    No kitchen???

Easy.. go to your favorite restaurant. opt for grilled chicken. :)

Or call the restaurant and do take out.

Also.. beef jerky and cheese sticks!
  • Ruby Tuesdays salad bar or Applebee's under 500 calorie menu!!
  • Are there restaurants near by that you can take meals to go? How about bringing a hotplate with you. Perhaps you can ask
    at the front desk of the hotel if they have a microwave you can use to heat up food. Tell them you have a medical issue and can
    only eat certain foods! Or have that hamburger you have your heart set on once every two weeks! lol