How do I go about this?

Options
GraphikDesign07
GraphikDesign07 Posts: 3 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I'm a quarter inch short of 5'3" and I weigh 116 lbs.

It's all in my thighs and stomach. I'd really like to slim down to the size I was before (ironically only 6 lbs lighter but a few sizes smaller).

I was thinking of running for an hour at least once a week. Then I wanted to go about getting more fit and nice definition.

So is the 30 Day shred plus running a good way to go about slimming down the flabby areas? I don't care about the lbs number, just the actual width of my thighs/waist etc I also don't eat a lot of junk food, if any. My current problem is I don't exercise at all just rely on my metabolism to do its thing so I want to be more fit and healthier.

Any recommendations?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce.
    A calorie deficit for weight loss.
    Exercise for fitness.
    Your body will choose where the body fat comes off first and last.

ETA: Your profile said you want to lose 26 pounds?
  • GraphikDesign07
    Options
    I know you can't spot reduce but I was just wondering if those two things are enough to get down size-wise to where I want to be. Or is something else needed to help lose fat before gaining definition and muscle.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Start lifting weights. Forget the scale number, you're already a healthy weight for your height. Focus on body composition instead. Find yourself a progressive loading lifting program with compound lifts, like Stronglifts or Starting Strength.

You definitely should not be trying to lose 26 lbs. Hopefully that's a mistake.
  • needtoloseafewpounds
    Options
    I'm happy that you mentioned that you used to be 6 pounds lighter but were many sizes smaller.
    Two people can weigh the same and look completely different as the example photo below:
    30bd1jt.png
    What you're looking for is not "weight loss" but "fat loss"! I say about 20 minutes of cardio with
    strength training will bring you back to your old size. What I do every day (which is a great help)
    is 100 pushups, 100 crunches, 100 squats, 100 chest presses, and usually an hour of walking at 3.5 mph.
    Anyway, what I really want to stress is that right now you have a heavier mass of fat and you want to burn that
    while creating muscle to make a better body definition! ^_^
  • virsamajor
    virsamajor Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Strength training is definitely the way to go. Also, it's not so much the calorie count as what your food is made of -- lean meat and veggies are going to help you build definition more than the equivalent amount of calories in cereal, snack bars, etc (for example). Also, you'll probably add lean muscle this way -- so the number on the scale would go up, but you'll be stronger, healthier, AND you'll have the fit look you want! Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.