Metabolism speeding snacks...

Options
I was wondering for those of you out there who eat snacks between meals, what type of snacks you eat? Im new to this site, and according to what this site says my daily calorie intake is WAY more than what I have been consuming. No wonder I am at a plateau! I am going to start eating snacks between meals, but am clueless on what to have. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• tater8589
    Options
    http://www.myfit.ca/foods_that_speed_metabolism.asp
    http://www.sanbenito.k12.tx.us/hot news/fifteen_foods.html

Found these through google. gotta be something good in there :) One of them says extra virgin olive oil or canola oil, Coconut oil is better for you than the others. I have also read that black berries raise metabolism.
  • angie0184
    angie0184 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There's lots of stuff out there you can have as a snack Yoplait Light Fat Free yogurts are 100-110 calories per container, you can cut up fresh fruit and veggies, sargento has cheese sticks that are 90 calories, and if you want to indulge a little, there's a snack section in the grocery that specializes in 100 calorie snack packs.
  • healthydee
    Options
    Try snacking on almonds or some other whole natural nut. Measure out about 100-150 calories. It's a healthy snack. Don't get hung up on the fat content. It's not saturated fat or trans fat.
  • 0Jaime0
    Options
    Thank you guys SO much! I appreciate it!
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Protein.

So beef jerky is a great one. Protein has a thermic effect of 30%, compared to low single digits for fat and carbs. What this means is to process protein your body burns nearly 1/3 of the protein calories to just digest it.

An example is if I eat something with 40 grams of protein, that is 160 protein calories, my body burns about 50 calories to just process it into amino acids. So protein really does effect metabolism.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Protein.

So beef jerky is a great one. Protein has a thermic effect of 30%, compared to low single digits for fat and carbs. What this means is to process protein your body burns nearly 1/3 of the protein calories to just digest it.

An example is if I eat something with 40 grams of protein, that is 160 protein calories, my body burns about 50 calories to just process it into amino acids. So protein really does effect metabolism.

Great traveling snack! just about every gas station sells beek jerky and whole nuts. Many offer the non-salted nuts, too. It's a go-to when I'm on the road and haven't packed a cooler of my own snacks.
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    While beef jerky is GREAT you have to be aware of the sodium

Almonds are super yummy!