how to exercise with oxygen

Options
I want to exercise,but i wear oxygen,what can i do?

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight. Just eat a sensible diet and stay within your calorie goals.

You can still do stationary exercises with weights like dumbbells or just simply stretching and doing squats with body weight is a good place to start. Don't let this hold you back. I saw a lot of people with oxygen tanks working their arms on the slot machines in Vegas. They were still having a grand time even with the bottles in tow.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    This might be a better question for you to ask your doctor. I'd hate to see you take advice from total strangers and then end up having problems. Find out from your doctor what they would recommend and allow given your condition.
  • KarateMadMum
    Options
    This might be a better question for you to ask your doctor. I'd hate to see you take advice from total strangers and then end up having problems. Find out from your doctor what they would recommend and allow given your condition.

Exactly that ^^^
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

Exactly that ^^^
    I third this!
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree with asking your doctor.

I used to see a woman in shallow water aquasize. She stationed herself close to edge so she could rest her tank on it and then did the class.

My guess is you can do any non-strenous activity as long as you start small and slowly build yourself up. BUT MAKE SURE YOU TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR FIRST!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

^^^^^ THIS!!!!!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    I see a bunch of people on oxygen at my gym walking on the treadmill or using the stationary bike. A few have trainers that help them through some workouts on the machines. Without talking to your doctor or a certified trainer it may be a good idea to just walk or use the bikes.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    There's a man at my gym who brings his oxygen with him to lift weights. I'd ask your doctor though whether it's okay to exercise and which exercises would be appropriate.
  • KimGainey
    KimGainey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have the same problem. I have just begun this weight loss process 1 week ago and am ready to add exercise to my routine. I am planning on using a chair with my o2 and doing strength training using soup cans, just anything that gets me moving. Because walking around makes me dizzy, sitting makes better sense for me. My doctor approves this, but you need to check with yours. Good luck!!
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I wear oxygen. I use a smaller tank ( wine bottle size) when I'm out. so just walking mostly. As for home I have a oxygen concentration with a long tube so I either do treadmill or resistance band. Those things work my muscles but don't get me too out of breath. :)
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Agree, talk to your doctor first!

That being said, I was in your shoes not that long ago. Sadly, for the second time, but no beating oneself for what one has done!

I started slowly, very slowly while I was on required oxygen. When I asked my doctor I was told to do as much walking as I could take. I started in the house while on the concentrator. I walked as much or as often as I could just between rooms, down the halls, etc. Once I gave up caring what the neighbors might think (and in reality, it was probably either nothing or they were secretly cheering that I was doing SOMETHING to improve my condition.) I started pulling the tank and walking down the street. I started by adding a house a day. Soon I was walking around the block with stops, then without.

When the weather got bad, I started using simple exercise DVD's. I don't know if these are still around, but Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds series. Starting with the Miracle Mile as the simplest. I'm sure there are others out there as well, but at my weight and (lack of) condition these were great starting places.

Your minor successes will build on themselves and soon you will be able to do more than you now imagine. It won't be easy, but nothing really worthwhile ever is, right?

Best of luck, and please, see your doctor.