help

Options
Hello ,

Im still up and down. I wanted to know if I should up my calories? Because I m burning at least 400-500 calories when I m working out 3-4 times a week

Im 4'11
weight 153 pounds if this helps
BMR 1438.05

Replies

• 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Hello ,

Im still up and down. I wanted to know if I should up my calories? Because I m burning at least 400-500 calories when I m working out 3-4 times a week

Im 4'11
    BMR 1438.05

That's a great workout for you! If you are burning that much, then you can add that much to eat back. I would try for adding back 1/2 of that and see what happens.
  • bebegettingtheweightoff
    Options
    Thanks so much cause Im still hungry like now lol ! :smile:
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit for weight loss and exercise for fitness, so if you are not losing there is a miscalculation somewhere along the way. How many calories are you eating now? Is it possible there is overestimation in exercise calories? Do you log accurately? Do you weigh everything? Would you be willing to open your diary?

ETA: How long since the stall?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hello ,

Im 4'11
    BMR 1438.05

A couple methods ..... because MFP does not incorporate exercise up front ..... you should eat those calories back*

The other method TDEE less a percent, that does incorporate exercise. TDEE kind of averages your calories, so you eat the same number each day. You get your TDEE number .... the same place you got BMR. Then take 20-10% off TDEE ..... 10% is for someone who is close goal ..... use your BMR as a guage.

*2aycocks suggested eating a portion of exercise calories .....good idea, unless you are using a HRM & doing "just" cardio. Calorie burns are so hard to calculate. MFP & machines tend to over state.
  • michail71
    michail71 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Most people's activity levels don't vary so much that eating back the calories work out form them. It's best to stick to a TDEE and make adjustments after a couple of weeks if needed.
    Options
    My Diary is open and 1360 is what I have to eat everyday per activtrax at the Ymca and I use a polar fitness hrm. I do weigh my food and I havent really logged in past two weeks because my grandmother past away but you can look
    Options
    Thanks I do use Polar fitness every time I work out even on ellipitical and strength machines etc so my burns are close.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    1. Get back to logging accurately
    2. Continue to weigh everything
    3. Eat back your exercise calories (at least most of them)
    4. Be patient
    5. Be mindful of measurements, not only scale weight.
    6. If no changes in 4-6 weeks, re-evaluate.

And sorry to hear about the death in the family. :flowerforyou:
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My Diary is open and 1360 is what I have to eat everyday per activtrax at the Ymca and I use a polar fitness hrm. I do weigh my food and I havent really logged in past two weeks because my grandmother past away but you can look

Your diary isn't open.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You could be overestimating your calories out if you are using a HRM to measure calories burned during strength training. Also, is your BRM based on an actual measurement, or a generic online calculator?
    Options
    :smile: Thanks !
    Options
    So during strenth training are you saying that the polar fitness hrm may be off ? and that I should only use it during cardio? and Thanks
    Options
    generic calculator
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    So during strenth training are you saying that the polar fitness hrm may be off ? and that I should only use it during cardio? and Thanks

HRMs are pretty good for cardio (IMO).... but I've never been tested in the lab. Strength training is incredibly difficult to measure ..... if you are lifting to fatigue, a fair number of calories are being burned after the workout is over. So this is a "guesstimate."

As far as BMR .... there are lab tests for this. Maybe worth the $$ if you felt you had some metabolic issues (thyroid, whatever). But, I work with the data I have, and tweak up/down as needed.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    generic calculator

It's important to remember that these only give averages. Your actual BMR could be lower (or higher). TDEE calculators that I've used all measure mine as higher than it actually is, so I assume the BMR is also higher than actual.

The only way to really know your BMR is to have it tested. You can find your TDEE by eating at maintenance over a period of time (that's how I know mine calculates high).
  • bcattoes
    Options

Yes, that is my understanding. Heart Rate is only a good indicator of calories burned while in the aerobic zone. Even "cardio" that becomes anaerobic (such as sprinting, HIIT or other intervals) may not register correctly.