How do I maximize weight loss?

Options

Replies

• happystars82
    happystars82 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    This is what i use to do before i fell off the wagon.....:O.

I'm 238lb and 5'4,

i eat 1500 - 1800 a day
    exercise everyday for 40 mins
    and lose 2lbs a week sometimes, depending on "women things"

i eat fairy healthy but wouldn't say clean as i cannot afford this.

hope this helps
    Amy from the UK
  • kzakian
    kzakian Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi Amy,

Do you eat back your exercise calories?

• kasey721
    kasey721 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There's the rub ... eating back calories. If you're doing that, then you may need to re-think why you are working out in the first place. Is it to lose weight? Or, is it to be able to eat more calories per day?

Here's how I position exercise in my thought process: If I'm serious about losing weight (and I AM very serious), then I must make a commitment to eat a certain amount of calories and work out for a certain number of hours each day, week, month, etc. If I "eat back calories" I feel like I have cheated myself out of ever reaching my goal. So, I try to minimize those occasions and, if I do "fall off the wagon" for a day or two, I try to make that up somewhere over the next week.

You may want to incorporate more exercise minutes into each week, rather than cut more calories, so you don't feel starved and deprived of sustenance. Hope that helps!
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options

OP - you're having success and are not feeling deprived. Keep doing what you're doing. Just be patient.

+1

Cutting calories lower and lower, seems to backfire, for a lot of people. I know that's "un-scientific..." It's just what I've been seeing on the boards, and throughout my life. Take it for what it's worth... I totally understand wanting more substantial weekly results, though. My 2 cents? Keep up the fantastic work. You are doing great!
  • HefferSprint
    HefferSprint Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention if you are working out. I agree with the others, it's a great way to burn calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    There's the rub ... eating back calories. If you're doing that, then you may need to re-think why you are working out in the first place. Is it to lose weight? Or, is it to be able to eat more calories per day?

Here's how I position exercise in my thought process: If I'm serious about losing weight (and I AM very serious), then I must make a commitment to eat a certain amount of calories and work out for a certain number of hours each day, week, month, etc. If I "eat back calories" I feel like I have cheated myself out of ever reaching my goal. So, I try to minimize those occasions and, if I do "fall off the wagon" for a day or two, I try to make that up somewhere over the next week.

You may want to incorporate more exercise minutes into each week, rather than cut more calories, so you don't feel starved and deprived of sustenance. Hope that helps!

Just to clarify ..............

MFP as designed expects you to eat calories back ........... that is because the calorie deficit is built in BEFORE exercsise. When you exercise, you create a larger deficit.

If you are using TDEE less a percentage ...... you don't eat your calories back specifically BUT because the exercise is built in to the equation... you are accounting for exercise.

OP - of course you can lose 2 pounds a week. BUT what do you want the 2 pounds to consist of?

Mostly fat? OR Half fat - Half muscle mass? Losing weight too fast (not eating exercise calories back with MFP, or not incorporating exercise into TDEE) ...... the weight you will lose WILL be partly muscle mass.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I've been steadily losing 1 pound a week for the past 10 weeks eating 1750 calories a day. I'm finding the calorie allotment quite easy to stick to, so I'm wondering what I should do to bump the loss up to 2 pounds a week. Should I cut my calories down? If so, by how much? When I ate 1450 calories a week, my weight loss was slower than at 1750, so I'm not sure if reducing calories would help? Not sure if increasing would either. Thoughts?

My stats are 5'7 and 237 pounds.

Don't get me wrong, I think losing a pound a week is great and I'm happy with it, but if there is something I can do to increase the loss I'm definitely willing to try it.

At the top of your home page, click on where it says Goals. then set it to 2 pounds a week to lose, and see how many calories it says you can have. If that's too few, then maybe 1-1/2 per week, and see how many calories that says.

I agree that I would get down too low on calories. Losing 1 pound a week consistently is GREAT!! And more likely to stay off than a rapid weight loss.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Are you taking measurements along the way? If not, then start. I was discouraged by only losing 15 pounds in 5 months. Then I measured again and had lost a total of 10 inches. that was great news!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    So basically it's impossible for me to get a 2 pound a week loss without doing damage to my metabolism? With over 70 pounds left to lose, I find that hard to believe. I know 1 pound a week is a good loss, but at my weight I don't see why 2 pounds is not a possibility?

It should be a possibility, but it would be difficult and not sustainable for very long, partly because you are reasonably close to where you'd want to switch back to 1 lb/wk loss.

Here's the thing - you're currently at a 500 cal/day deficit. You would need to create a 1000 cal/day deficit. And, you'd best start lifting heavy and making sure you eat enough protein if you want to preserve your LBM, because you're likely to lose more of it with a higher deficit. That said ...

You could exercise to create the new deficit, which is a LOT harder than most think (don't believe MFPs estimates, it's reported that they are inflated for many exercises).

Or, you could eat 500 cals less per day, but a 1250 cal/day allotment isn't sustainable for many people. They tend to feel tired, always hungry, and it makes it hard to stick to your diet. But, not all people feel this way, and maybe you're one of them. Plus, you need to be really careful with what you are eating so you get the nutrition you need. However, it's not unreasonable if you're thinking of trying it short term (a month, maybe two) and then bumping back up to your current calorie level.

Or, you could do a combo of the above. For example, decrease your intake by 250 cals and increase your exercise by 250 cals. To me, that seems like the most reasonable approach other than adjusting your expectations and being patient, which would be my advice since you are finding your diet easy to stick with - why mess with a good thing?
  • llfreeman74
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I have been working on losing weight since May 2013. I lost 10 lbs. before I was introduced to MFP. I have been using MFP for approx. 2 months I have lost 12 additional pounds (total 22 lbs. since May) but it seems that I have been 160 lbs. for a while now. My goal is to lose one pound a week. I am allowed around 1400 calories a day. I have tried cutting my calories but I find myself hungry. Exercise goal is 60 minutes 5 times a week. Some weeks I meet my exercise goal but for sure I am working out 3 to 4 times a week for at least 45 minutes (moderate walking). I have only exceeded my allowed calories on a couple of occasions but it seems as if I have stopped losing weight. I do my best to drink 8 glasses of water a day as well. I have some questions:
    1) How can I boost my metabolism again, or get back to losing a pound a week?
    2) Do I eat more when I exercise to make up for the calories I burned? (when I do not MFP gives me a warning that I am not eating enough)
    3) Should I recalculate my exercise goal?
  • sarahsunshine1217
    Options
    Well that was the explanation a Dietician with a Master's Degree gave me. What degree do you have? Associates in Starvation?

I have lost almost 80 lbs this year sticking to a 1200 calorie diet and I think if I was starving myself I would have been dead by now. Everyone is different so she will have to play around with it.
  • AdriMinus80
    Options
    Well that was the explanation a Dietician with a Master's Degree gave me. What degree do you have? Associates in Starvation?

omg LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cracked up!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Being mean is sometimes so damn hilarious! lol
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    OP, this isn't a sprint. It's a marathon. Don't aim for a 2lb goal if you're already losing a steady pound per week. Let it happen naturally.
    Hello Everyone,

I have been working on losing weight since May 2013. I lost 10 lbs. before I was introduced to MFP. I have been using MFP for approx. 2 months I have lost 12 additional pounds (total 22 lbs. since May) but it seems that I have been 160 lbs. for a while now. My goal is to lose one pound a week. I am allowed around 1400 calories a day. I have tried cutting my calories but I find myself hungry. Exercise goal is 60 minutes 5 times a week. Some weeks I meet my exercise goal but for sure I am working out 3 to 4 times a week for at least 45 minutes (moderate walking). I have only exceeded my allowed calories on a couple of occasions but it seems as if I have stopped losing weight. I do my best to drink 8 glasses of water a day as well. I have some questions:
    2) Do I eat more when I exercise to make up for the calories I burned? (when I do not MFP gives me a warning that I am not eating enough)

You should create your own thread.
    1. Click "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" at the top.
    2. Click the "New Topic" button.
  • therejohn
    therejohn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    First, I recommend getting your answers from a registered dietician. He or she can help you tailor a diet and excercise program to help you acheive your goals. Second, meet with a fitness expert or trainer to set additional goals and learn how to mix up your routine to avoid muscle memory. I tried a million different "diets" until I found something that works for me...high protien, low carb, and a calorie deficit daily...via exercise. One pound a week is good, but as someone who is like you and still has a lot to lose, I understand your frustration and desire to bump it up to two per week.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

1. Weight loss is not linear. The smaller you become the fewer calories you need to maintain your weight..... so the same deficit may be hard to come by, unless you are not getting enough nutrition. When you get to within 10-15 pounds of goal ..... a 1/2 pound loss each week is good progress. You did not screw up your metabolism...... I'm sure that can happen, but it's very extreme.

2. If you are using MFP as designed ..... YES you should be eating (at least some) of your calories back. MFP gave you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise. Too large a deficit results in muscle loss (as well as fat loss). The reason I say .... at least some .... calorie burns tend to be overstated. Cardio workouts & Heart Rate Monitors seem to work for many...... HRMs were not really designed to work with strength training.... total guesstimate.

3. Re: exercise goal...... this is about the SHAPE of your body after the weight has come off. This is more for fitness than it is for weight loss. This is also a lifestyle change ..... do you see yourself working out forever (to maintain a weight loss)? That's the amount of exercise you should be doing now.
  • BiggyFuzz
    BiggyFuzz Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Patience and add some cardio and you can get to that 1.5,2 lbs a week loss.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Honestly start lifting some weights.

It is more important at this time to keep your Lean Body Mass intact and remember muscles burn fat like no tomorrow.

Take measurments as well and don't rely on the scale in the bathroom to tell you you are doing it right use a tape measure too.

There are a few good groups I have found....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

and

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options

This is not how MPF is intended to work. I will not recreate the wheel as there are 100s of threads on this.
  • AdriMinus80
    Options
    Hi Amy,

IT'S SOOOO Frustrating, isn't it? I keep hearing people tell me to be PATIENT, BE PATIENT but dude... I worked so hard the first 2 weeks of my journey, soooo hard! I did 1200 cals and at least an hour of working out a DAY, for the entire 2 weeks and only lost 1 lb PER WEEK! It pissed me off so I gave up and ate all the weight back the following weekend, THEN... I caught myself, being back to my original weight and unhappy. I decided to just keep at it and hide the freaking scale! I am not going to look at it for the entire month of SEPTEMBER cause the ***** makes me so unhappy and miserable! I am going to work out every day for an hour and stick to my cals! I say you do the same! WHY BE MISERABLE? You're gonna do it either way so why not just push the nerve wrecking moments aside? Weigh yourself today and wait a month...... but work out hard core EVERY day and log all your cals.... TRUST ME! It is best for us impatient women. I have no patience, specially when I work so hard... I wanna see the outcome NOW. lol....
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Hi Amy,

IT'S SOOOO Frustrating, isn't it? I keep hearing people tell me to be PATIENT, BE PATIENT but dude... I worked so hard the first 2 weeks of my journey, soooo hard! I did 1200 cals and at least an hour of working out a DAY, for the entire 2 weeks and only lost 1 lb PER WEEK! It pissed me off so I gave up and ate all the weight back the following weekend, THEN... I caught myself, being back to my original weight and unhappy. I decided to just keep at it and hide the freaking scale! I am not going to look at it for the entire month of SEPTEMBER cause the ***** makes me so unhappy and miserable! I am going to work out every day for an hour and stick to my cals! I say you do the same! WHY BE MISERABLE? You're gonna do it either way so why not just push the nerve wrecking moments aside? Weigh yourself today and wait a month...... but work out hard core EVERY day and log all your cals.... TRUST ME! It is best for us impatient women. I have no patience, specially when I work so hard... I wanna see the outcome NOW. lol....

then I hate to tell you, but you've done it wrong. If you're working out 7 days per week for an hour, and you're only eating 1200 calories, you're up for more frustration and disappointment.