Which Do You Do First - Cardio or Weights?

Options
Hi. When I go to the gym I've been doing my weight training first, and then doing Cardio? I've been thinking that I should do the weights first, before I get tired. is this correct?

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    Options
    Honestly it's whatever works for you. Yes, cardio *should* be done after so that you're stronger when it comes to your lifting but it's what works for you. What works for me personally is doing my cardio first and then lifting. The reason that I do it this way is because if I don't then I will completely skip cardio. Doing it this way works for me and I am still able to lift heavy. Sometimes I lack the energy to lift but that's mostly when I'm just plain tired and not into it and forced my lazy butt to the gym
  • JENNTF
    JENNTF Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have always heard if you do weights first then you cardio will be more effective.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting should always come before cardio. In fact, I just ditch the cardio altogether and do more heavy lifting.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've read that it doesn't matter which order. But normally I will at least warm up on a cardio machine for at least a few minutes before doing weights. I do incorporate cardio exercises in between my lifting. I hate cardio so if I can bypass it I will.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I need to warm up before I jump into weights. I do at least 10 minutes of cardio before I hit the weights. Otherwise, I feel sluggish and cannot lift as much.

Find out what works best for you.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Neither, I do my cardio and lifting on different days.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I follow a trainer on Tumblr and someone asked the same questions basically and she said to do weights than cardio I believe.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

+1
  • SynapticFyre
    Options
    same way for me. I'm too tired after lifting so I just don't do my cardio LOL. however, I will say the most successful thing to do is to have weight lifting days with moderate cardio/warm up. than do longer cardio days on your days off from lifting. That way you have a mental break from cardio and weight training.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

Same here. Lifting days are for lifting.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I don't usually do both in the same workout, but I would do weights first. I wouldn't want my form or performance to suffer because I wore myself out beforehand.
    Just seems safer.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Different days to maximize your training. If you're doing them on the same day and in the same session, one or the other is going to suffer. If you're doing a truly progressive lifting program, no way you are going to see your strength gains or maximize those strength gains if you're doing cardio right before...and if you do you lifting first...and you're doing it right, you shouldn't really be able to do a very intense cardio session...if you're doing it right, you should pretty much be shot to **** after you lift.

If you do them on the same day, I'd recommend doing a session in the AM and a session in the PM...like go for a run in the morning or at lunch, and then lift in the evening...give your body several hours to recover and replenish your glycogen stores. But really, I find alternate days to be ideal.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I just don't think I will be doing cardio on enough days if I don't combine the two. I guess I'm not working hard enough, because I do have enough energy to do the Cardio after the weights.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do cardio and weight training on the same day then it's best to do the weight training first. This is because form and technique are very important when it comes to weight lifting. If you just finished 45 minutes of cardio on the treadmill (or bike, or elliptical whichever) and your legs are wobbly and you're already tired, then you go and try to perform some squats your form won't be as good as it would be if you were fresh. This can lead to injury as well as reduce the effectiveness of the exercise if you're cheating to finish your reps (plus you probably won't be able to handle as much weight if you're already tired).
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    It's really up to each person, do whatever works for you. I do cardio and weights on different days and not together, but that is what works for me.
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I usually do 5-10 mins of a cardio warmup first before weights. I don't know if thats the 'right way' but its what I do...
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I lift 5 days a week and do cardio training for days a week... Now what??
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Cardio? You mean lifting weights faster? O_o notsrs.

Different days, different gym sessions on the same day, or after. IF you're concerned about getting the best strength gains out of your lifting. If you're not concerned about those extra 2-3 reps on your deadlift, it doesn't really matter, now does it?
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 5 minutes on the treadmill before starting with the weights.

Also, is it really important to use free weights instead of machines? What is wrong with machines?
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    weights first