A wedding should be motivating right?

Options
So I just recently got engaged and we are planning a destination wedding in December. What could be more motivating than that?! Ugh I dont know why but I just cant seem to get my butt in gear! I have 100 days to lose 21lbs. And I know that this is totally attainable! I work 2 jobs and I cant seem to find the time to get to the gym that I recently switched to. When I have free time I find myself wanting to gorge in front of the tv! I need some butt kicking motivation because I know that once I get going I can do this...the problem is getting up lol

I could definitely use some motivating friends to help me out with this one! Please feel free to add me!

Replies

• jenmarie2012
    jenmarie2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just recently got engaged to! Congratulations!! Would love to be friends. Maybe put together an inspiration book. Pic of your dress, the beach your going too, and anything else you want to add : ) just to remind yourself why you need to get off the couch and push for your goal! You can do it girl! This is for the happiest day of you life ????
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    A wedding can also be very stressful. It raises all kinds of expectations of the "perfect" day, etc. I would try to set up a program that will assist you in losing weight and getting healthy on and beyond the wedding day.

You have a pretty face and at only 20 pounds overweight I'm sure you'd look fine today. 20 pounds between now and December 18 is totally doable -- if you really want it. But there's no shame in not wanting to drive yourself crazy for one day that is hyped. Just make a decision.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    We all have different things that motivate us, for some a wedding is enough, for others, it isn't at all.

Perhaps go try on some dresses and see how you look and see if you're happy. No one says you HAVE to lose weight for your wedding and if you're happy with what you see, then why change? If you're not, perhaps that will be fuel for your motivation.
  • chesterchester
    Options
    Hi! Congratulations on your engagement!

I'm getting married in February. We live on the west coast but are getting married on the east coast so we gave ourselves a nice long 15 month engagement to get ready. Dress is bought, venue is booked, caterers are locked in, honeymoon in Hawaii is booked and paid for, and hotel/transportation is finalizing. One thing that got overlooked : me!

I've already wasted 9 months that I could have been working towards my wedding body, so now I have 170 days to lose the 30 pounds I'm hoping for - and to tone arms and back. I'd love to look stunning on my wedding day - and to feel confident during our beach honeymoon.

Wedding is definitely a big motivator and I'd love to keep in touch with you during your weight loss journey!
  • autumnlily31185
    autumnlily31185 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I just had to comment on your post because the title immediately caught my attention. When I got engaged I thought the same thing. (been married 6 years now) I thought this will be the best motivation and I will lose all the weight and be super skinny on my wedding day. Well, things did not turn out that way for me at all. I was so stressed with work, wedding planning, (did everything on my own right down to making my own invitations, etc) that I had no energy and was actually quite depressed at the time.

So my best advice is to make sure and take time for youself, ask for help with wedding planning and don't worry about making the goal so much as making a lifestyle change. You will still need to eat right and exercise after you get married right =)

Good luck and hope that you have a wonderful wedding!!!
  • Karaboo
    Karaboo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married in March 2014. My sister just got married in June & I was the maid of honor...I thought that would be motivation enough to lose weight, but sadly I didn't. I really hope MY wedding will motivate me! I just don't want to look at my wedding pictures & think how fat I look. I do ok during the week & then the weekend comes & it's like all rules are out the window & I feel like I can just eat anything I want. I just need to find my motivation!!
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Nope. Didn't work. All I can say is thank god she had bigger bridesmaids, I didn't look so big then. :)

Good luck and congratulations!
  • mrsjones2point0
    mrsjones2point0 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    We are set for a May 2014 wedding. I have a very big problem with long sighted goals, I think in the here and now, so first off planning 12 months in advance and having to wait is hard for me. . .but the weight loss is a challenge because I think I'll just slip this once, I got plenty of time.

However, I found the most amazing dress this weekend! It fit like a glove, as in: I haven't felt that skinny since long before having children. If it looks this good now, imagine 20 lbs less, or 40 lbs less. However, it's strapless, and my back needs work. . .so I know the only way to lose the fat in my arms and back are when I start losing all around. I am now newly motivated, having the dress picked out has me focused, THIS is how I will look, and it WILL be amazing.

As with Karaboo, my big thing is not looking fat in the pictures. I will NOT be the fat girl at my own wedding!
  • valerie91711
    Options
    So I just recently got engaged and we are planning a destination wedding in December. What could be more motivating than that?! Ugh I dont know why but I just cant seem to get my butt in gear! I have 100 days to lose 21lbs. And I know that this is totally attainable! I work 2 jobs and I cant seem to find the time to get to the gym that I recently switched to. When I have free time I find myself wanting to gorge in front of the tv! I need some butt kicking motivation because I know that once I get going I can do this...the problem is getting up lol

I could definitely use some motivating friends to help me out with this one! Please feel free to add me!

Congrats! I lost 50lbs last year before my wedding!! It was hard and I wanted to give up, but I wanted my dress to be taken in even more. I felt beautiful on my wedding day. Could I have lost more? OF COURSE! But I was very proud of myself and so was my hubby! I get the wanting to gorge out in front of the tv. Does your fiancee eat healthy? Matt adapted my low carb, low fat, diet and it helped when we were both working towards a goal. Another good idea is get a treadmill and put in in front of the tv. That way you can enjoy your shows and get a workout in :) good luck!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but an event is the wrong motivation. That's why you can't do it. It doesn't matter. You want to look good for one day of your entire life. How deflating.

Why not instead plan to look good everyday for the rest of your life, and not just for some event? Now, to me, that's motivating. event driven weight loss and getting in shape is just so wrong from all angles. There is nothing in it for you. it's empty. You have to have higher level reasons for wanting to do something like that; real reasons that matter, in the long run...the very long run.

Congrats on your engagement. But, the motivation isn't there because it's not really a goal, per se. It's just another "check the box" item on your list of things to do. it's empty of any real substance.

I have to agree with this...it's so very true. I didn't get "motivated" and commit to anything until I got past the, "I want to look good for the summer by the pool" or "I want to look good for my reunion"..."going on vacation, gotta look good"...etc, etc., etc. While they may, on the surface appear to be valid reasons to get in shape, they really are hollow and it's just too easy to make excuses and not follow through. When I finally decided I just wanted to be a healthier and more fit me, that's when things really changed...no time line...just better today than I was yesterday. My suggestion would be to not focus so much on being some arbitrary weight by the time your wedding rolls around...just focus on being a better you than you are today...focus on your nutrition and your fitness and everything else tends to fall into place.
  • casmithis
    casmithis Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was I found a group that ran at 5:30 in the morning. They waited until everyone got there before they started running. I made sure I went knowing that they were waiting on that street corning in the freezing cold until I got there. Got me out of bed every day. I have since moved to another town and still looking for a running group but if you can buddy up with someone and set a waiting place outside it may work for you too.

Good luck and congratulations.