Post-Workout Snack?

Options
Greetings!

Can anyone suggest a really good (possibly low-cal) post-workout snack? I've heard smoothies are the way to go but usually I feel famished after a really good cardio-torch and I'm afraid a smoothie won't cover it.

If there are any smoothie suggestions, are they pretty substantial? Do you feel pretty full until the next meal?

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I like having a protein smoothie after a good workout. There are a lot of recipes for them on MFP. There are carbs in the fruits and veggies in the smoothies.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I put in a whole banana peanut butter and frozen mixed berries... I also sometimes add milk and blueberry juice. Its
    about 400 calories.
  • regross77
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks so much for the suggestions! I will definitely give them a try and let everyone know how I felt! I really appreciate it!
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    To me, 400 cals is a meal. Instead of considering it a "snack" why not consider it a meal. Make yourself a sandwich or bacon and eggs or PB&J or whatever else you eat for a meal.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I like having a protein smoothie after a good workout. There are a lot of recipes for them on MFP. There are carbs in the fruits and veggies in the smoothies.
    I just heard about this awesome cleanse.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1090008-anyone-doing-recommend-this-cleanse
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Post workout (lifting) snack for me is usually a half a cup of rice, an ounce of cheese, and 30 grams of turkey pepperoni. Got me carbs, fats, and protein all in good proportion. And it tastes great mixed up and microwaved so the cheese is nice and melty...
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    On days that I run, I'll usually have a cup of 1% lowfat chocolate milk. On the days that I lift weights I'll either have a protein bar or protein smoothie. Today, I'm running and because I forgot to pick up some more protein bars I'm having a 1/2 PB&J sandwich. I use the double fiber bread for my sammie's. It's good to have a nice amount of protein and carbs post workout and all these options I can keep under 200 calories.
  • regross77
    Options
    I cannot thank everyone enough for the great advice! I am happy to report I have been fueling up with (low-cal) but thick smoothies consisting of fruits, Greek yogurt, veggies and ice. I've been mixing and matching until I find something I LOVE.

To date: bananas, plain Greek yogurt, blueberries, carrots strawberries and unsweetened almond milk have been my go to. I think I am going to incorporate additional veggies (according to taste) as time progresses.

I loved the PB& J idea and I think I may go with that after my run tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    8-12 oz of 2% milk with 1 or 2 scoops of vanilla whey.

or I just go home and eat dinner... and then ice cream.

I need protein- that's all I care about- when I'm done working out- I'm never satisfied until I get a solid serving of either milk- chicken or steak.