Any Success Stories for Women about 300 Pounds??

Options

Replies

• magicake
    magicake Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started at 371, I'm 6'0 tall. As of today I am down to 228. EXCITING!! My goal is to be under 200, whatever feels best on my body.

For me, I cut out bread, pasta, rice. I still eat potatoes. Green protein smoothies in the morning. High protein sensible meals. I also exercise (swimming laps) 5-6 times a week. Exercise is the key for me. I also try to stay at about 1200 calories a day.

Feel free to add as a friend!
  • SWink06
    SWink06 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and I started at 333. I am currently 289. I am doing Medifast per my physician's advice. It's not a plan for everyone, but my doctor felt it would be the appropriate program for me because I started at "super obese" (which is the category above morbid obesity) with a BMI of 50.2. I had to lose 169 pounds JUST to be at the very upper limits of a healthy BMI.

It's no grains, no dairy, no fruit, and no starchy vegetables, carbs are under 100 (ideally 80-85 a day) and protein is over 70. I eat five small meals a day and one larger meal consisting of healthy fats, lean protein, and 3 servings of greens. And I drink a TON of water. I keep my calories under 1000, per his orders, but you can also do the MF program and eat at 1200 calories by doing the 4 & 2 where you eat two larger meals a day in addition to four small ones.

The amazing thing is I'm NOT hungry and have no physical cravings. I actually have to force myself to eat my last meal or two because I'm just not hungry. Never thought I would say that! lol

When I'm at goal weight I'll go through a transition program to help me gradually add all the food groups back in and find out where I need to keep my macros for my body to maintain a healthy weight. I also have a health coach that keeps me focused and motivated and I'm studying various books to help learn how to make the changes needed in my head to both lose the weight and keep it off -- which is the key for me. If I don't do that I'll just gain it all back.

Best of luck!!!
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I started at 348 just under three months ago and I have lost the first forty. I just posted in this category today a thread called "So much to be thankful for" if there's anything there you find useful.

But really, I don't think what works for us is any different. If anything the early weight probably comes off a little easier and we get to eat more. lol Not a bad gig if you can get it.

Eat at a deficit. Move more. Trying to make generally healthier choices is nice for the big picture.

Hang in there. Eat food. Don't beat yourself up. Every day is new.

I recommend a little whiskey where you can work it in, but maybe that's just me. :)

Take care! :)
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I started out around 300 pounds last September (not sure on the actual amount, but I'm thinking it couldn't have been too much over 300) & started out watching what I ate & trying to limit a few foods that I had trouble eating in moderation. I started out exercising on the stationary bike for a few minutes here & there & doing some Zumba exercises on the Wii & Free Step on the Wii Fit. I lost around 50 pounds & then hit a plateau in February. I decided to give myfitnesspal a try & started to count my calories & have lost an additional 65.5 pounds taking me to 184.5. I still need to work on my food choices, exercise more, & learn more about nutrition.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I started at 277 lbs but i'm only 5'5. Today i'm 153 lbs. It CAN be done. You have to want it so bad that nothing is going to stop you. There is no secret. Eat less, move more. Log all of your food. Dont make excuses. Prove to yourself that you can do it. It is worth every second. I still think i'm dreaming.
  • fitmom2000
    fitmom2000 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" started at 280, am now about 195, still going but taking my time to do it healthy and in a way that's sustainable for me. Excercise was the key for me --- You have to excercise, but more importantly you have to push yourself out of your comfort zone. Even if only for 2 minutes out of every workout, push yourself out of that comfor zone. Jog instead of walk. Jump rope. Get your heartrate up and sweat. All excercise is good, but doing that little extra bit each workout made all the difference. I work with a trainer now, and it's completely worth the money. Take the money you used to spend on take-out and use it for an hour a week with someone who will motivate you and push you to do more than you thought you could ever do. I couldn't do a push-up when I started, and I just finished a tough mudder this summer (12 mile military style mud run/obstacle course). And by the way, when you work out enough, you can eat a little more, so it makes the whole process easier.

I will also say to give yourself time, you are transforming your life not just your body. Make sure you have supportive people around you. We all have food-pushers in our lives - the girlfriend who always wants to grab dessert or go out for a cocktail, the husband who brings home "treats." Talk to those people, and get them to help you. If they love you they will be on your team, and not work against you. My husband and I have taken this journey together --- we now take the kids on a bike ride rather than out for ice cream (and sometimes we ride to the ice cream store as a treat, but we order a kid size instead of a large). We are both healthier and we are setting better examples for our kids.

Finally, you have to eat to lose weight, but you have to eat foods high in nutrients. Low fat snacks are a gimmick. Grab some nuts and a piece of fruit. Same calories, far more nutrients, and your body will use those calories far more effectively. I can eat the same calories in a week, and if I eat a lot of processed foods and low fat snack bars, I will gain weight, but if I eat foods that are naturally high in nutrients (greek yogurt, fruit, nuts, fresh veggies with hummus), I wll lose.
  • DeenerN
    DeenerN Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ad me as a friend if you would like; I'm a consistent logger =) I started out at 327 been here since May and have lost 19lbs. I workout regular each week and log everything (even the bad). I don't beat myself up, I've already been mean enough to let myself get this way. Slow and steady always wins! =D
  • Kookyk9s
    Kookyk9s Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I started at 306. im not a success yet but im getting there. there is no perfect secret. you get up and be active, eat healthier, and eat less. thats all there is to it.

You are wrong - you are very much a success. The longest journey starts with a single step and you have stuck to it much longer than that. Be kind to yourself and believe that you are a success because you really are and reality does not lie. It is an inspiration to me and I did not start where you started.
  • diamondgirl50
    diamondgirl50 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hatersgonnahate......Whooohooooo!!!! Congrats on Onederland....that is AWESOME!!!
  • trixxyfrawg
    trixxyfrawg Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm 22 years old, 5'8, and I started at 365 earlier this year in January. I've lost 56 pounds since then and I'm still losing!

The tricks that helped me:

1: Log everything, all the time. I realized that when I didn't log for a few days I started falling back into old habits hard. Logging every day and everything helps keep me accountable.
    2: Don't stress over the weight on the scale. Success is also measured in inches lost and an over all increase in health.
    3: Don't deprive yourself of anything much. If you want some cake every now and then, go for it! Which leads me to my next point...
    4: Moderation! Eat everything in moderation. I used to eat everything like I would never get to have it again!
    5: Exercise is also key! For me this is a big part of my transformation.
    6: Train your brain. If you crave something, doing something else to distract you instead. I like to chew my favorite gum whenever I have a craving for something bad that I shouldn't necessarily have that day.
    7: Friends and family definitely help! My family started watching their weight around the same time I did and it was definitely a big help! We kept each other accountable.

Those are all my tips and tricks lol. I'm always open to friends, if anyone needs one! :)
  • Nicgianni1
    Options
    All beautiful success stories. Congratulations!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" and started out at 308. I took 15 months to reach my goal weight of 175. I've been maintaining in the mid 170s for 13 months.

My main tip is always just START. And then don't stop. The rest is just details.

It's really not that hard...choose a reasonable calorie goal. Count calories 95% of the time. Give yourself leeway some of the time. Exercise, not just to burn calories but also to change your relationship with food and your body. Do not starve yourself.

You might lose weight on a diet, but I don't think you'll maintain if you lose on a diet. So don't diet. Change how you eat and the amount of activity you get. Don't make any changes you will not be able to stick with for a lifetime.

Losing was pretty easy for me; the battle was mostly mental. Maintenance has been ridiculously simple, because I keep doing what I did when I was losing...only with a little more wiggle room. I exercise and eat well most of the time. Sometimes life gets in the way, but I go back to my new habits as soon as possible. I step on the scale once a month or so and am always a little shocked to see that I just stay this weight now. As long as I keep these habits, I am convinced I will be at a healthy weight for life.

Best of luck!

fotoflexer_photo_zps1cba0efc.jpg
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Well I am a woman (36 yrs old) 5'8" and my all time high weight was 307 so I guess I fit the bill.

However I did not start MFP at 300. I started at 262 in March of this year.

I am now at 214, definitely wanting to get down to 180 eventually but not sure how much lower I'll go than that.

It took me about 3 years to get from 307 to 270. I had previously hovered around 260-270 for all of my twenties so that was my 'comfortable to me' weight. I did not really "diet" at all or even change my eating habits much but just started exercising (mostly LONG speedy walks) daily and that got me down to 270, although slowly.

Getting from 270 to 262 was more of a pain. I unintentionally starved myself a lot of the time, thinking that I didn't need to eat very much and should NEVER eat treats, etc. So of course then I'd wind up caving and eating some bad stuff. I finally got smart at the end of 2012 when my boyfriend, now husband, started helping me learn how to eat healthy and eat enough food. But I still wasn't losing very quickly. I even went pescetarian and still saw a very minimal loss.

So in March I joined MFP and started logging 100% honestly and completely. It really seems to work well for me, as since then the weight has slowly dropped off quite steadily. I do eat very healthy and stay under my calories but I also have REGULAR "splurges" that I work into my days. That is what works for me. I wish you luck!!!!
  • MichiFfit
    MichiFfit Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I am 5'0 I started at 317. I am currently at 184. I am still about 40-50 pounds from my goal weight. If you have any questions you can add me/ message me.

:)
  • sugarkissprincess
    sugarkissprincess Posts: 2,595 Member
    Options
    <--- When I started in Oct 2012 I weighed 279, I'm now 188, working towards 150 :) It will happen if you motivate and be very determined. Good luck!
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options

Log everything, every bite, BEFORE you eat/drink it. Sometimes you will change your mind about eating it when you see what it does to your numbers.
    This is soo important. Lots of water, and move more. Even parking farther away from the grocery store door.
    I started my journey as a 5'4" 301 lb stay at home Mom of 4 who couldn't walk up from the mailbox without huffing and puffing.
    My doctor wanted to put me on cholesterol medication after my labs in April came back high. I was so shocked. I am only 31 years old! I said "Forget That!", and began walking. And logging on MFP.
    The only person who can make me healthy is me. I have bad days, weeks even. But I always get back on it. My children are going to need me for a long time to come.
    And I want to pester all you fine MFPers out there!:bigsmile:
  • Schatze1975
    Options
    I started at 319, and hit 199 today. You can ask me stuff if you'd like

Curious how long it took you and what you ate.
  • alexisdc
    alexisdc Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    *waves* I started at 300. I started last August and got down 30lbs before starting MFP on September 30th. Since then I have lost another 87 pounds and am now down to 183. I started with Aquafit classes and progressed to a recumbent bike and now I go to kickboxing classes and regularly use a treadmill and an elliptical. I bought a Bodymedia Fit in February and have found it to be a great tool, both for accurately counting my TDEE and for motivation to exercise. Generally I eat at a weekly average deficit of 7000 calories for a 2lb loss. I eat 80% clean, 20% junk/sugar/chips. :laugh: You have to find a lifestyle that you can see yourself sustaining not only through to your goal, but into maintenance and beyond. One of the best places to start on here is with this forum here. Start at the top with The Basics Don't Complicate It and work your way down.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

She took the words right out of my head...lol :) you have to find out what works. You will have to change it up here and there, but stay motivated. I started at 360 and have made it to 275. At 290 I had to totally readjust my calories and excersise to bust through a plateau:) If you want you will get at it and take it :)
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    When I post it will show I am down 106 but the true number is 116 b/c I moved the scale and gain 10 overnight and had that to lose in the middle of my journey.

For me carbs are an enemy, they make me want to eat none stop. I began with watching calories as I watched and listened to my body and read more I cut carbs to 120 and upped protein to 75. As I continued losing I re-evaluated and am now at 100 or less carbs and 100 or more proteins per day. Does it have to be exact numbers ? No but I try and stay close every day.

I drink btw 12 - 24 cups of water a day. Also there is no food off limits though I do try and work it into my plan so that it doesn't make me go over my daily limits.

I started at 310 I thought but it must have been 320 and I am now 4 lbs from "onederland" I am under the lie that has been on my driver's license forever, I am smaller than when I graduated high school, got married, or had children.

I start each day fresh and focus on my accomplishments rather than on how far I have to go. This is lifestyle journey and not the dreaded d word "diet" b/c it is not something I will NOT be going off and returning to my old ways.
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I just sent you a FR.
    Good luck to you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!