Who has it easier? Bulkers or cutters?

Options
12346»

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Cutting seems to be easier for me because it is fairly short term and results come much faster. Gym performance, energy and recovery seem to suffer a bit though. And of course eating less of the foods you enjoy get old.

Bulking or "controlled bulking" seems much more tedious. Results are very slow for noticeable muscle and strength gains but any new fat or softness is quickly apparent and leads to constant fiddling and second guessing. Gym performance, energy and recovery are better though. More diet flexibility is nice.
  • Wetterdew
    Wetterdew Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that cutting happens more reliably and at a faster pace than bulking.
  • lollypop036
    Options
    personally i'd say cutting is easier just because i find it so hard to consume the amount of calories i need to gain weight
  • MikeDasTrainer
    Options
    Whichever one I'm in the process of doing haha
  • andezz99
    andezz99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've been the big guy who has to stick to a strict diet to lean down and look my best. I'd prefer that over being a skinny guy who can't put on muscle and struggles to add mass due to a high metabolisim.
  • sfrohardt5
    sfrohardt5 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Speaking from experience on both ends of the spectrum, I would say trying to gain weight is much more difficult than trying to lose weight. I was on weight gaining diets all throughout my junior high and high school years. When I graduated high school, I weighed 105 pounds and was 5'2" tall. During my weight gaining years, my doctors wanted me to eat 3000 calories per day. I would do my best but it really stunk -- you always had that I overate at Thanksgiving dinner type of feeling and didn't want to eat anything more, feeling as if you were going to throw up or burst if you ate another bite (I never did throw up or burst from eating that many calories, but I do remember crying every 6 months when the doctors would tell me to eat more, that I had only gained one or two pounds and that was not enough). My problem with gaining weight back then was that I loved to be active AND I had a high metabolism rate -- bicycling was my favorite activity and I would bike 16 miles per day, everyday.

Now, 20 plus years later, I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. I need to lose 34 pounds in order to be healthy again. Where I once biked 16 miles per day, now I can barely motivate myself to exercise for 20 minutes 3 or 4 days per week. Rather than being stuffed all the time, I am now hungry until my body adjusts to the lower calorie levels and then I balance off. While I don't believe either type of diet is easy, I would definitely say that I would rather have to be on a weight loss diet than a weight gaining diet just because of how you feel. When you are losing weight, you feel more energetic, revitalized and proud of yourself when the weight comes off, gaining confidence and self-esteem along the way as you realize how much better you look. When you are on a weight gaining diet and the pounds don't want to come on, there is nothing you can do but eat more and you feel so stuffed you lose all motivation and feel so lousy you want to bite everyone's heads off. :wink:
  • Visique
    Options
    iifym'er has it easy