Anyone on the new diabetic med, Victoris?

Options
The doc put me on Victoris today cuz my blood sugar is too high, and I can't take the normal medications like Metformin. Said it should help me lose weight. I have to lose about 60 lbs to get my blood sugar, as well as other blood things, under total control. This is an injectable med and brand new. Anyone experimenting with it?

Sherri

Replies

• hbon
    hbon Posts: 5
    Options
    My supervisor is on something called Victoza and it works much like Beyetta. She said that it's great! She's lost weight on it. The only thing is that sometimes it gives you weird food aversions. She said that she used to have a favorite dish at a Chinese restaurant but she can't order it anymore as it makes her nauseous. Oh! And I remember her being really nauseous when she started it but it passes.
  • shortwasp
    shortwasp Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! My doctor mentioned I might get nauseated, so I'm starting out low and slow and then building up to a good dose. That's the first I've heard about the food aversions. It will be interesting to see if i works on me that way cuz' I'll eat anything that I don't have to chase across the table.

And you are right, it's Victoza. Silly me. I was too lazy to get up off my fat butt to check the spelling of the thing. Thanks!

Sherri
  • dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm a pharmacist. The drug hame is Victoza, generic name liraglutide. It does a few things, one of which slows your gastric emptying so food leaves your stomach slower. You will feel full longer and eat less. For type 2 diabetes, it increases the amount of insulin you secrete and decreases glucagon when your body makes too much.

In clinical trials 28% of people experienced nausea from this drug, 17% got diarrhea, and 11% vomiting. Also, 10% became constipated because of the slowed down gastirc emptying.
  • onlygirl
    Options
    I am currently using Victorsis,(I thought it was Victoza) my numbers have never been lower in the AM, I take my injection at bedtime. The weight seems to remain the same. I need to get up and excersie more. I was on the drug Byetta before and that worked ok for a while, but I am really happy with what the Victoza does. Numbers after dinner always below 150 and first thing in the morning 81 to 110. I have not had any side effects, been taking it know for 3 months.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Oh oh oh!! You are the ppl I've been searching for:drinker: :wink: :laugh: I just did another search and thought I'd seen a few folks say they had success with Victoza....

So glad you all shared....it's helps new ppl that are thinking of starting it:wink:

So how are you all doing now on it now?? Any side effects you can't live with? A1C's noticably lower? Weightloss, strange food aversions? :laugh: I could go with some strange food aversions if only I could make my own list that I'd like to stay away from....how great would that be:drinker: :tongue:

Any sharing with this new Victoza girl would be most appreciated:flowerforyou: ... I'm a wee bit nervous of the sick part...but while on Byetta...it was very very mild and only on occasion...nothing I couldn't work through etc. (get through the work day is what I mean).

When I started Byetta some years back I never read about any side effects before starting it...perhaps that's why I wasn't nervous with that injection but am with this one?:frown: :laugh:
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    VICTOZA

This is an old thread but am chiming in.....VICTOZA is working great for a relative of mine.

She is down 30 pounds in 6 months and she does NO exercise, she is however a very busy person.

This drug has given her the boost she needed to curb the cravings, decrease her appetite and finally have some self control around food.

There will be those unable to tolerate this or that, but if you can physically handle VICTOZA it stabilizes blood sugars, reduces that insulin spike and should lead to weight loss---am not saying it is for everyone, but lf you can tolerate it, you may finally be able to reduce your food cravings and begin to like the numbers you see on the scale. ( size 24 to size 16 )