Shakes

For those who do protein shakes---do you have one with a meal or use that as a meal itself? Ive NEVER drank them but my husband does have some choc whey protein. I was not sure how to use it in conjunction with my weight loss process. Any suggestions would be gret!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    As to the "weight loss process" think in terms of eating at a caloric deficit. Using products like protein shakes has little to do with that.

Having said that, if you're having a hard time getting enough protein within your calorie limits they can be a useful tool (even though it's always preferable to eat real food - chicken, turkey, eggs etc.....low calories, high protein).

I use them occasionally as a meal replacement (only if I'm pressed for time in the morning) or post workout recovery drink.

My favourite is 1 cup of OJ, a banana, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1 scoop vanilla flavoured protein powder & 1/4 cup all bran buds (I consume a lot of fibre; good for digestion and believed to help with cholesterol levels)....toss it all in the blender & you have a well balanced meal in a glass (about 475 cal depending on the protein powder)
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Just treat them as food. I usually have one after my workouts since I am ravenous and want something in my stomach before I start cooking dinner (plus it helps boost my daily protein). When you drink them doesn't matter so long as you are under you calorie goal for the day.
  • grumps0001
    grumps0001 Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks guys!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    I'm not a big shake person and I find it challenging to get in enough protein with regular food so I mix chocolate protein powder in my oatmeal and eat it. It's good.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    unsweetened almond milk
    berries/banana (or fruit of chioce)
    scoop powder
    ice

blend

nom nom..