I am not deprived - I am liberated :)

Options
Hi MFP family & friends :)

I am not deprived - I am liberated from my old fattening food choices.

For me to be deprived, - and going cold turkey is not deprivation - , it is not restricting my foods in a bad way, it is having a new relationship with food - for nutrition, not for self esteem comfort, not for stuffing myself till i am so full it hurts; not as a reward for a hard day's work, etc.

if I am starving at 9:00 pm, almost bedtime, deprivation would be not to have that bowl of cereal because some people think i should not eat past 6:00.

If i want 2% milk on my cereal, I wont deprive myself of that and put skim milk on just because its less calories - it tastes like watery cereal. So i will choose the 2% for better taste.

if i am out for the day, I will choose the best restaurant to get lunch, Red Lobster if im having a taste for it, and I fit it in my MFP macros, but I might settle for Subway where I can have a better choice and more food with less calories and sodium than Popeyes chicken which will deplete my MFP calorie budget for the day; depriving myself would be eating only sushi or watercress sandwiches.

Deprivation would be if i had a taste for some ice cream from Michigan and I want to go to the historic Sherman's Ice Cream, i will have some, because i hear its very tasty full fat ice cream, but i will have a scoop or a cone, not a whole fudge sundae.

When i started this, i went cold turkey on some items for the first couple months, till the cravings and reward I got for those delicious foods, went away. At first I had to do this because it was the way to detach from them. As i had a somewhat food addiction and once I started, the taste would make me overeat or want more. Even now, I live in a neighborhood where its :"Restaurant Row" where every cuisine imaginable is within walking distance from my house, or drivable in the car. right now i dont think i have the strength to go to my fave all you can eat buffet because i know i would overdo it.. however, if i decide to go to the buffet, i would have to make the effort to eat one plate and enjoy more healthy food rather than the desserts. I dont want to take the chance on it, but I did last month go to a buffet because it was a wedding receiption and my appetite went down and i just ate one plate. but i would not put myself in danger becaust I dont think i can resist, and Im doing well loseing weight, not worth it to screw up my running toward my goals.

now, if i ever indulge in some fattening food, it really tastes good. I dont crucify myself while eating it, I savor it and I enjoy it, and thats it. I dont make it a regular part of my diet. Why? because its too expensive caloriewise. I can eat 1600 calories and I'd rather spend those precious calories on good solid food like a big steak and asparagus with lemon and a pat of butter.

i'd rather fill myself up with a package of spinach with lemon pepper than a cheap pop tart .. my preference. I dont feel deprived coz im not eating a poptart. if im going to have some dessert, I'd have a slice of key lime pie, or a scoop of full fat ice cream or a skinny crust veggie pizza easy cheese if i want something, it better be THE best!

Well so far I've lost almost 40 pounds in three months, when i tend to overeat, it slows my progress, why would i want to slow my progress? why would i want to eat the food that got me fat in the first place? its not worth it. whats worth it to me is not that pop tart, or ice cream all the time, or pizza slices regularly or Taco Bell several times a week, if i ate all that, i would be on maintenance , not losing.

What i do is try to find the best choices to eat, the most nutrition for the calories, to budget for the times when i do want an indulgence, and this works out. if it does not i tweak as i go along.

Just eating what i really need to eat, i dont have many calories, only 1600 and even when i restrict myself, its not much, so I choose wisely.

In order for me to stay on this healthy way of eating, I need to find a way I can live with it the rest of my life. if I can find something that tastes great while being less calories, you better believe Im going to eat it. I'm not going to waste my calorie budget on crap like soda pop, pop tarts, ice cream, pizza, taco bell and sandwiches that have 1,000 grams of sodium, and 1500 calories just for one item.

I know we are not supposed to have food obsessions or eat anorexically, or have food idiocyncracies where we eat "the watermelon diet" where we just eat watermelon and nothing else. And not to binge and purge, and not to starve ourselves. I understand the principles of MFP.

But like I would not tell a vegan to go eat meat because he is depriving himself of a nice juicy steak, while I would not tell someone training for a marathon just to eat a little bit of whatever they are told not to eat, just like I wouldn't tell someone exercising 4 times a week, to just indulge in a little bit of goofing off rather than going to the gym, i would not discourage someone who wants to go cold turkey to jump start their diet not to do it.

i would find a way to encourage them what to eat instead.

And just because "you" can eat all that, it doesn't mean I can.. who knows.. maybe you do more exercise than me and can eat it. maybe you are at a different weight than me, etc etc. we are all different.

But I am not deprived just coz i choose not to eat what you choose to eat. I'm doing ok :) I love seeing the pounds come off and for that result, its worth it! Because - THIN TASTES BETTER. :)

Replies

• blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! I think it's all about taking control of your health and not letting food (or anything else) control you. Each one of us has to choose the best path for ourselves and it sounds like you have a good handle on what works for you. Best of luck as you move forward!!!
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Wonderful advice!!!!!
  • mindywilliam
    mindywilliam Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has to find a path that works for them. For me, my father encouraged me to make "healthy choices" and as of today, I've lost 84 lbs. I haven't had junk food in like 9 months, instead choosing to make my foods for the most part so I can control what I'm consuming (sodium, etc). I do it one pound at a time and slowly I'm getting to my goal! Way to go, by the way!
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Love the logic here! Thanks for sharing!
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I hope i dont come across as some holier than thou - just sharing what helped me, and regarding another topic where I hope to help people understand some things :)

and to give a good report :)

let the next 3 months be as good as the first :)
  • myfanwy76
    myfanwy76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you on your weight loss and your lifestyle changes. I agree with you. It is not deprivation, it is cost/benefit analysis for your life and making better choices for the longterm.
  • zcarpenter91
    zcarpenter91 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Amen!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You took what people said in the other thread and have totally spun it a different direction, to where it actually sounds like you're helping make their point.

IIFIYM

Kudos.
  • zoe534
    zoe534 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Well Said.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Well so far I've lost almost 40 pounds in three months, when i tend to overeat, it slows my progress, why would i want to slow my progress? why would i want to eat the food that got me fat in the first place? its not worth it. whats worth it to me is not that pop tart, or ice cream all the time, or pizza slices regularly or Taco Bell several times a week, if i ate all that, i would be on maintenance , not losing.

What i do is try to find the best choices to eat, the most nutrition for the calories, to budget for the times when i do want an indulgence, and this works out. if it does not i tweak as i go along.

Just eating what i really need to eat, i dont have many calories, only 1600 and even when i restrict myself, its not much, so I choose wisely.

Little confused here.

None of the items you have listed are so high calorie per serving that you couldn't eat a serving (or more) regularly and still lose. I eat fewer calories than you do and still eat at least one of those things several times a week (except the PopTarts - don't like those).

I mean, if you don't want to eat them, that's fine - but you wouldn't be on maintenance just because you ate those things.

And the reason people advocate eating what you love in moderation, which is what you're describing and is not deprivation, is because cutting out foods you love completely (deprivation) tends to lead to failure down the road. Why not advise someone to take the tried and true route rather than sit back and watch them fail?

It's like watching someone train for a marathon (taking your own analogy) by trying to run the whole thing at a sprint. I know zero about running, and even I would speak up against that one.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Wait...2% ISN'T skim milk? American milks confuse me...
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    You took what people said in the other thread and have totally spun it a different direction, to where it actually sounds like you're helping make their point.

IIFIYM

Kudos.

kind of IIFM but with a little more boundaries.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have given up a lot of prepackaged sweetened foods. The idea that removing processed sweetened foods is going Cold Turkey is quite silly , unless the person who is giving up this type of food has a sugar addiction then Cold Turkey would apply much like a person giving up drugs.

I cleaned my cupboard and took out foods that could create hunger cravings eg. sugar dense foods and high fat foods.
    I don't consider that cold turkey.

I am not deprived, if you check my food diary I eat 3 meals a day and eat well.

The key is substitution.. Removing the cruddy food and replacing it with healthy choices. Lo fat
    greek yogurt with vanilla is my ice cream I love the taste of fresh fruits now that my taste buds have recovered from the abuse I put them through by eating overly processed sweetened foods.

I make sure I eat lunch so I don't snack on convenience foods.

I do eat an cookie once in a while but only if it is fresh baked . I did eat a donut the other week. Wish I hadn't. It takes too much extra walking to rid the calories.
  • NonnyMary
    Options

Little confused here.

None of the items you have listed are so high calorie per serving that you couldn't eat a serving (or more) regularly and still lose. I eat fewer calories than you do and still eat at least one of those things several times a week (except the PopTarts - don't like those).

I mean, if you don't want to eat them, that's fine - but you wouldn't be on maintenance just because you ate those things.

And the reason people advocate eating what you love in moderation, which is what you're describing and is not deprivation, is because cutting out foods you love completely (deprivation) tends to lead to failure down the road. Why not advise someone to take the tried and true route rather than sit back and watch them fail?

It's like watching someone train for a marathon (taking your own analogy) by trying to run the whole thing at a sprint. I know zero about running, and even I would speak up against that one.

Hi - oh believe me, I dont let myself get into a state of deprivation, as that would be too much of a diet.

Maybe for you or others, they see my boundaries as deprivation, but for me, its doable and enjoyable.

What will be the reward for temporary boundaries - getting to my goal faster, eating more foods that will satisfy me rather than junk food which wont; and being able to enjoy food without being its slave (which means giving in to all the cravings that i could have if i let it); and losing weight being able to walk, etc...

Dont worry if i want something so bad, i will have some. those boundaries are ok with me, i set them. if they do not work, i will reset them. going cold turkey on somethings does not make me feel bad. i may miss some foods a bit, but they are too expensive in my MFP food budget :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

IIFIYM

Kudos.

kind of IIFM but with a little more boundaries.

So, what people were basically saying in the other thread?
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    I have given up a lot of prepackaged sweetened foods. The idea that removing processed sweetened foods is going Cold Turkey is quite silly , unless the person who is giving up this type of food has a sugar addiction then Cold Turkey would apply much like a person giving up drugs.

I cleaned my cupboard and took out foods that could create hunger cravings eg. sugar dense foods and high fat foods.
    I don't consider that cold turkey.

I am not deprived, if you check my food diary I eat 3 meals a day and eat well.

The key is substitution.. Removing the cruddy food and replacing it with healthy choices. Lo fat
    greek yogurt with vanilla is my ice cream I love the taste of fresh fruits now that my taste buds have recovered from the abuse I put them through by eating overly processed sweetened foods.

I make sure I eat lunch so I don't snack on convenience foods.

I do eat an cookie once in a while but only if it is fresh baked . I did eat a donut the other week. Wish I hadn't. It takes too much extra walking to rid the calories.

yes to that what you said ! if your going to enjoy a treat, make it worthwhile :)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Wait...2% ISN'T skim milk? American milks confuse me...
    Whole
    2%
    1%
    Skim

I think that's how it goes?
  • NonnyMary
    Options

IIFIYM

Kudos.

I agree.

I can't help but feel partially responsible for this thread. Lol

no problem, I dish it out, and i can take it too :) i know you mean well as many others on here do...

i sort of like to write and get my thoughts out,, its very therapeutic and i also feel for those who are doing something and i htought that person might get a lil discouraged. Been there done that got the t-shirt :)
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later when I have time to take it all in.