i'm burnt out on tracking

Options

Replies

• karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've felt this way on numerous occasions. I recommend taking a week or two off, weigh in at the beginning, then weigh in at the end to see how you do on your own. Then decide from there what you want/need to do.
    Agree, and I feel the same as the OP. But I have noticed that tracking is so important to get to where you need to be. And then take it from there. I would love a week off of MFP but afraid I would wipe out everything I have worked on!
  • mymonty
    mymonty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Wow, I just read the first page of comments. I hear ya. It gets to me at times. I haven't done much tracking this summer and I'm up bout 7 pounds!! I know that the only way for me to lose it is to write it. Not 100% of the time, but at least 80%. I find when I do, I lose or at least I don't gain. So far everyone who I have read are bang on. Sometimes you just gotta give it a rest and see how you are. There may come a time when you don't need to track, I had my summer off and now it's time for me to start fresh (like a school year) and buckle down.

I wish everyone continued succeess!
  • May63
    May63 Posts: 162
    Options
    i went like 500+ days and stopped i eat the same thing and measure. i just took a break! no i am back 10days straight. so take a break. keep measuring come back soon. let's be friends!
  • recoveryjunky
    recoveryjunky Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm not even close to done losing weight (35lbs out of about 100lbs total) and I'm freakin' burnt out. The only thing that keeps me going is seeing the number of days that I've been tracking on here go up. I'm not losing anymore so I think that's my problem.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem like too much of a big deal. You've been doing this for the better part of a year, so you probably have a good grasp on how to do this without logging everything. I don't think it's something that anyone is expecting to do for the rest of their life.

I'm so looking forward to the day when I'll be able to do the same!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    A MFP friend (I miss you, Sax!) said once that MFP is like training wheels... once you learn how you're supposed to live your life you won't need it anymore.
    That works for some people. My bike just fell over. :-(
  • chivitaxxv
    Options
    does anyone else feel this way? i'm so sick of tracking everything and being so anal about every last detail of every single thing i eat or drink. i'm very heavily considering not tracking anymore. i'm about 6 weeks away from a year of steady logging. i'm just sick of it. i feel like over these past months i've gotten a lot of good information and that i can easily continue on from here with making good choices, both with food and exercise. and i feel like i'd be a lot happier and more mentally at ease. and i'm happy with where i am weight-wise. and i can always come back!

I feel you completely!!
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I also feel burnt out on tracking.. but I'm more burnt out on being fat and getting stuck in a binge-restrict cycle..
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am not maintaining, but I did get tired of tracking, plus I wasn't losing anything at the time either. I lost most of my weight before joining MFP, so I have been using MFP to track my exercise and for the support. I felt when I was tracking I was giving myself reasons to be able to "cheat". It wasn't working and I was getting stressed. So I have gone back my old ways and much less stress now.
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Try if for a month and see how it goes...both how you feel not logging and where your weight ends up after a month. Or, try 2 weeks at first. It's about being happy and healthy, not making yourself stressed in the process.

Good luck!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Looks like you've been at this for over three years. I'd say that if you feel that way, then go ahead and stop, take a break, log in a more casual way...any of those options. But, at least take a break. Congrats on your great work!
  • weavemyway
    weavemyway Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've had to take breaks because of being burned out. I thought I could handle it because of the education I got from tracking everything so long. But, since I'm still trying to lose, it didn't work out for me. I got lazy and started eating too much junk again. Once I went back to logging (diligently for a month now), I've was rejuvenated and now really want to reach my goals. Once everything settles into maintenance, I think I can handle not logging.

I would recommend taking a break, but come back to it if you feel a lack of motivation coming on.
    :)
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    u got to do what u g ot to do
    I will continue to track after my goal weight to maintain
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Taking breaks is not the answer
    guarantee u will gain
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    There are 12 step programs and support groups for this. You will have to wean yourself off. If you stop cold turkey, it could be devastating. I tried cold turkey and ended up having the shakes and was nauseated for days. I jumped back on the tracking wagon and followed the program. I've been a free tracker for 5 months now. I now know and can understand that what I put in my mouth is good or bad for me. Yes, I know I induldge from time to time but, it automatically clicks in my head to burn more calories that day or the morning after. It can be done!!!
  • allylbrown
    Options
    I have def felt this way before, that's when I usually take a break....a week off from tracking does your body some good and your mental health. But I have found that if I take 6 months off I tend to gain wt and lose focus. I am 46 and over the years tracking is what keeps me focused!
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was. I'm very OCD and I normally feel that if I don't track everything, I've failed and I want to just start over the next wk w the tracking--or, at least I used to think that way. Now, I just track as much as I can and keep moving.
  • sukiwabi
    sukiwabi Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i only log intermittently, and not just when i feel like i'm having a "good" day...that keeps me accountable enough. i can get a little obsessive over my intake if i'm logging every day. i use the log feature a lot when i'm mixing it up or trying to incorporate a new food, drop a food, or create a new habit/drop an old one (such as pm snacking).
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I also got burnt out on tracking. I stopped for a while with total failure. I am not doing well maintaining and gained back 9 lbs. Back to tracking for now! Good luck to you!
    11350 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also am burned out on tracking my food. I talked it over with my trainer, and I am going to log only my water intake (vital), and my exercise. Pretty much stick to what I normally eat, being very careful and hope to not only maintain, but lose weight. Mentally I need to take this break, I was getting "My FItness Pal" fatigue. :)