To eat or not to eat?

Options
Cravings can sometimes get the best of me, so I have come to the conclusion that a little doesn't hurt. At least if I have a little of what I am craving (sometimes that might just be one bite) it goes a long way. Do you give into your cravings or do you try to push through the craving without giving in?

Replies

• laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want to eat, whenever I want, but make sure it fits within my overall goals.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I usually do. Most the time I try to find a healthier alternative. For example:

Ice cream swapped for Yogurt or Homemade Frozen Greek Yogurt
    Chocolate swapped for a square or 2 of 85% dark chocolate
    Chips swapped for Kale Chips, Cracker chips, Veggies with hummus

Or I just allow myself to have the real deal! Portion control and Moderation is key! :smile:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I give in to my cravings. Why do I need to give it up? Giving up everything I like is not a sustainable lifestyle.
  • walzllw
    walzllw Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I eat everything that I like in moderation.
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    If i really want it... I eat it! done.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want and just try to mind the portion size.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I pretty much follow the same method you do. Sometimes I think about it and realize the splurge might not be worth it and the craving goes away quickly. But sometimes it nags and nags and I end up giving in instead of eating everything else in sight. :)

For instance, this weekend I was in WalMart and saw a huge display of PopTarts and thought - I gotta get me some of those!! Then I looked at the calories (180 for ONE!!) and decided it wasn't worth it. When I got to the freezer section, I spotted some Fudgecicles (40 calories each) and decided those were totally worth it! Pick your battles...
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    i use my exercise cals to have those `moments`

Like a few mins ago I had a lovely cheese sammich nom nom :wink:

As long as you are in with your macros and cals then go for it. I have been in maintenance for a year and it still works for me
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I've heard that cravings can be control by protein intake. I haven't tested it, but I do find that when I eat more protein, I have less cravings. Although after that egg thread I wish I had another egg on hand. LOL
  • Nightfall30
    Nightfall30 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem with cravings is starting on a tub of ice cream and finishing it. So, yes, I do eat what I want, but I buy the smaller tub. A diet isn't a punishment for not being perfect :)
  • RAGGEDYANN1970
    RAGGEDYANN1970 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I don't give-in to my cravings anymore. the other day i wanted a Coke, and when i smelled my son's cup full of bubbling cola, it was enough to satisfy me. the way i feel now, nothing tastes that good to throw me off what i'm doing.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Depends. Sometimes I crave one thing after another. Example: On Sunday I was "craving" some Oreos. Ate those. Then I was "craving" some ice cream. Ate that. Then I was "craving" some Lemon creme cookies.... had to say enough is enough. If I keep satisfying cravings, I won't be able to meet my protein goal (or stay within a reasonable calorie range). Had to get up and go for a walk, and stick to my plan for the rest of the day.
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I find that if I continue to want the same thing over and over if I don't eat at least a bit I'm going to start eating every thing around me. Do by eating just a bit of it I satisfy that need and go on. I make it fit into my calories.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    If I crave it for more than a day, I usually give in. But then, I seldom have an issue since I generally eat whatever I want anyway.
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    it's impossible for me to eat horribly at home because all we have are veggies and fruit lying around, got rid of all of our chips and ice cream and pies and chocolate etc. but when i'm out and i see donuts, cupcakes, etc i usually get SUPER tempted. i would treat myself but i'm the type of person where as soon as i have one little chocolate, i need to have the whole box because i don't have any self-control. i'm better off just ignoring it because it goes away after a while.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    If I really want something I have it. But if you find that you crave unhealthy foods often, you should look at what you're eating. If you eat natural, wholesome, filling foods and decrease your intake of refined sugars and white flour you shouldn't be having too many cravings.
    For me, I only crave something either if I see it on TV or if I eat white bread. After I eat white bread I go insane and can't stop wanting more of it. Which sucks because I really love white bread but not so much the going crazy part.
  • Run4Me2Day
    Run4Me2Day Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I pretty much follow the same method you do. Sometimes I think about it and realize the splurge might not be worth it and the craving goes away quickly. But sometimes it nags and nags and I end up giving in instead of eating everything else in sight. :)

For instance, this weekend I was in WalMart and saw a huge display of PopTarts and thought - I gotta get me some of those!! Then I looked at the calories (180 for ONE!!) and decided it wasn't worth it. When I got to the freezer section, I spotted some Fudgecicles (40 calories each) and decided those were totally worth it! Pick your battles...
    You are right looking at the label sometimes is a burn turn off!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Depends on what it is and how many calories I have for the day. Most of the time I crave sweets though, so I can make a small one fit easily. If I crave something unhealthy, I try to make it healthier (like those protein pancakes I had for breakfast, it would probably have been 3 times the calories with regular ingredients for the same amount).

If I'm out of calories, I just make room for it the next day.

I'm craving the Cheesecake Factory French toast right now though and I don't think I'm ever going to let myself get it...
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I constantly get asked by people, "How did you lose so much weight so fast?" I give the short answer "Diet and exercise, it is the only way/" They ask "what can you eat on the diet you are on?" I simply reply "I can eat anything I like as long as they fit into my calorie goal."

The same goes with snacks. Preplanning my meals for the day lets me know how many calories I have left for snacks.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    If I am craving something, I eat it in whatever quantity fits my caloric allowance for the day.