Starting Insanity... any advise welcome

Options
Hello everyone,
I am starting Insanity tomorrow morning at 5am... (little intimidated)
I started losing weight in march, because I weighed 332 pounds. Right now I am at 277, and I said once I lost 50 doing cardio and eating right I was going to try p90x or Insanity.
I chose Insanity and I am looking for any advise from people who did it.

I am assuming I should add a recovery drink. Should I take that right after working out?

Should I plan on adding calories to my diet, or just continue with my normal calorie intake? My current calorie intake is 2400 a day and I do 40 min of cardio 5 days a week.

Anything I should know before I start?

Replies

• KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    The program does suggest a post-workout recovery drink immediately afterwards. As far as calorie intake goes, 2400 sounds pretty adequate, but refer to the nutrition guide (available online if you google it) and see what their plan calculates for you.

I just finished Day 5 and I can still barely walk. You will be ridiculously sore. You will feel pathetic compared to the people in the video, but go at your own pace, don't sacrifice form for speed, and take breaks when you need it.

Good luck!
  • rzaloudek67
    Options
    I have had the Insanity discs for months now, but have not started yet. Will I be able to do it??? I am NOT in good shape at all. I wish I was...Like I was 8 years ago... :(

Suggestions???

I think I have not started because I was intimidated.

Anyone that has lost 50 doing cardio gets a 'High 5' from me! Great job!...now if I wasn't such a couch potato.....
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I just started week 3 of Insanity and the best thing I can suggest is go at your own pace. It's hard to feel like you can't keep up with the DVD, but it's better to take a couple extra breaks than strain something by pushing too hard. Week after week you will find yourself getting stronger and being able to push a little bit harder, and that feeling is completely amazing!

Also, I kinda brushed it off when he said to make sure you do the warmups/stretching and don't skip out, but yesterday I skipped most of it and paid the price. I would advise not to be silly like me :)

Good luck with the journey, it's tough but it's worth it!
  • Fillhumpfree
    Options
    I have done it one time through and I am going through it a second time right now. If you haven't been doing any kind of cardio/weight lifting it might be a bit of a shock to you. I would recommend only doing what you can and not trying to keep up with the people in the video. I basically use this as a program to build my cardio up since I hate running. Also watch your knees, there is a ton of jumping and in my personal opinion some crappy program design in insanity.

Sorry for the fragmented response. Make sure you drink a ton of water and since you are doing it in the early morning you might want to make sure you are up for 10-15 minutes before going into it since it can be pretty intense.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    best advice.. don't overdo it. Just go at a pace that is comfortable for you. You'll get up to "par" so to speak as you do it. I didn't get through all 30 days, due to a medical issue that arose but i'm prepping to try again this winter. I will do this! lol.
  • rzaloudek67
    Options
    Oh, you are supposed to do it first thing in the morning? I have not read anything the the discs...I was going to do it after work each day, since I start at 6am. Early morning workouts get REALLY early on my schedule...

Can I do it later in the day?
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Oh, you are supposed to do it first thing in the morning? I have not read anything the the discs...I was going to do it after work each day, since I start at 6am. Early morning workouts get REALLY early on my schedule...

Can I do it later in the day?

Of course. Workout when it's convenient for you.
  • keefah
    keefah Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good luck with Insanity and I hope you can stick with it and get the results you want.

I finished all 9 weeks last week and feel great. It's the toughest thing I've ever done and it gets to you both physically and mentally but keep going. I started out at 212 lbs and lost 26 lbs combining Insanity with a 1400 calorie diet (eating back exercise calories so most days my target was 1800 or so). I'm moving on to T25 and Hip Hop Abs now and am doing a 5km jog a few times a week plus lots of cycling.

Follow the advice of others - even though the whole point of it is to push yourself don't overdo it. Stick to your own pace. The fit tests will show you how well you are progressing.

You can see my before and after photos in my profile. I hope this can go some way to motivating you.

All the best.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Prayer....you will need it. I am doing a "Boot Camp" 2 nights a week and it is KILLER. I felt like a Sumo wrestler was laying on me the first night.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Push yourself, but know that you WILL need to take rest breaks. The people in the video take rest breaks. It is clearly intense for them, and they are getting paid to do it. If you do what you can, you will see results.

One of the best things I did is after finishing Insanity I went back and did some of the first month workouts again - I remember how hard they were at first and now I can push through them, which makes me happy because my fitness has improved.

Also, I don't really subscribe to the workout shakes/ beachbody eating plan. I don't think you need to. I just planned to eat some cheese or yogurt and juice after the workout and follow the general MFP food guidelines and that worked well for me.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have had the Insanity discs for months now, but have not started yet. Will I be able to do it??? I am NOT in good shape at all. I wish I was...Like I was 8 years ago... :(

Suggestions???

I think I have not started because I was intimidated.

Put it in the DVD player and press play. Do what you can. You'll get stronger as you go through the program. If you need to, break up the workouts at first, take longer rests, take an extra rest day, or whatever you have to do. Don't skip the stretching or warmup, and I would recommend adding more stretching to the cool down.
  • Callie_Wallie_Woo
    Options
    I am on day 3, though Wednesdays I do a session in the morning and then the next days after work so I have can Saturday and Sunday as rest days! I also do Pilates Monday evenings, a class on Tuesday lunchtimes and then Thursday/Friday I go for a run at lunchtime (only 3 miles). I cant believe how I am not broken yet! I am sore and a bit stiff sometimes (especially if I have been sitting at my desk too long). I am loving it though! I get up at 05.45 and do it first thing too!

Good luck with it! :o)