I really need help! Please...pretty please?!?!

Options
Since quitting smoking (yay me!!! yeh yeh) I've put on a LARGE amount of weight. I actually feel 100 times worse than I ever did smoking. My entire body hurts all the time, and threefold if I exercise or even clean the house longer/deeper than usual. All my joints, muscles, back you name it hurt. I'm only about to be 41 and I have a very high threshold for pain but seriously this is getting to me. I haven't said much to my Dr because I don't want her to think I'm trying to get drugs and I don't want them anyway.

My question I guess is, has anyone experienced this kind of pain from weight gain and what should I do for exercise (minus walking) which by the way kills me the next day too?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Those symptoms could be caused by a medical problem, so you should get check-up by a doctor, including a full blood test.
    If you don't want them to think you're after drugs, just say so. Doctors want to help.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor first and foremost.

I will say, I quit smoking 6 1/2 years ago when I was 40. I immediately gained 35 lbs and weighed more than I had ever weighed when I was a smoker. Everything ached all the time. My sacroiliac joint caused me pain constantly. When I started walking at the beginning of my weight loss, my hips and feet would hurt horribly afterwards. Pretty much everything hurt all the time. And like you, I have a very high tolerance for pain.

After the first 20 lbs came off, the pain started easing off. Once I lost 40 lbs, I suddenly realized that I hardly ever hurt anymore. So a lot of mine was my body protesting all the extra pounds I was carrying. My SIJ can still act up occasionally, but only after I have done a run on an off day. All that weight is really hard on the joints and if you put it on as quickly as I did, it's a shock to your system.

Congrats on quitting smoking!
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    ChaoticMiNd,

You did not say how much weight you put on.... But one of the things that it could be is that IF you put it on rapidly, your body has not adjusted to the weight you added so anything you do is going to make you tired and your muscles and joints will hurt. Remember, it is like strapping (xx lbs) on your back and doing your day, your body was not designed for it, and is not adapting quickly. The best thing you can do is to get the weight off.

So, some suggestions, Yes, make sure it is not a medical issue. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. Take some asprin/pain releiver, Hot baths ... And don't try and go 0-60 overnight in exercise. Try to lose the weight with diet. I would suggest adding additional walking to your day and look for an aqua arobics.

Congrats on givving up smoking. It is the BEST thing you could do for yourself. I have stopped smoking almost 14 years ago.
  • RheneeB
    RheneeB Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Same thing went on with my sister....gained about 80 pounds and now she has all sorts of problems....bulging disk in her neck, arthritis in her knees, terrible back pain and swelling. She finally went to the doctor and he told her that her weight gain is causing all of these things and that she needs to get the weight off - she is 50 and the older we get the harder our bodies adjust to carrying around extra weight. He told her that we don't realize that even our heads get heavier when we gain weight which puts a lot of stress on the shoulders, neck and back.

I woud definitely go see the doctor......any by the way.....A HUGE CONGRATULATIONS ON KICKING THE HABIT!!!
  • rokarraker
    Options
    I had gained weight, was under tremendous stress personally and professionally, for years that I started having all kinds of real physical pain especially in my joints. I don't smoke but eating poorly, not exercising and stress created all my problems. This went on for over 5 years. After I lost my job, which was stressful, I finally had time to eat correctly and focus on my health. I joined a study to lose weight as well. Within 6 months my health improved greatly and the pain in my joints went away, my gerd, and I lost weight using Myfitnesspal and keeping my calories below 1500 and fat below 50 grams. With increasing my activity level to include walking, biking, weight machines and Pilates I feel like a new person. Stress causes you to gain weight and inflammation along with sugar. Reducing stress, sugar, eating healthy (not dieting) and exercise will change your life.

It takes time but you will get there. Right now stopping smoking is causing you stress and your body is responding.
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much you guys I really feel better. My Dr didn't seem all that concerned when I said I felt worse now (being heavy) the kicker is she's heavy too :/
    I have other issues too from the weight gain I am going to take all your advice and take it a day at a time :)
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I put on a total of 70lbs within about a year and a half maybe less. I firmly believe my story is going to be like yours thanks so much! I will talk to my Dr again but they are more concerned that I quit smoking lol.

I will say, I quit smoking 6 1/2 years ago when I was 40. I immediately gained 35 lbs and weighed more than I had ever weighed when I was a smoker. Everything ached all the time. My sacroiliac joint caused me pain constantly. When I started walking at the beginning of my weight loss, my hips and feet would hurt horribly afterwards. Pretty much everything hurt all the time. And like you, I have a very high tolerance for pain.

After the first 20 lbs came off, the pain started easing off. Once I lost 40 lbs, I suddenly realized that I hardly ever hurt anymore. So a lot of mine was my body protesting all the extra pounds I was carrying. My SIJ can still act up occasionally, but only after I have done a run on an off day. All that weight is really hard on the joints and if you put it on as quickly as I did, it's a shock to your system.

• ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    exercise is not necessary to lose the weight. It is helpful, but you can lose the weight first until you get where you are able to exercise more. You might want to try tart cherry or black cherry juice for the pain. They have helped me a lot with pain issues in the past, but unfortunately they also have a lot of calories. But if you can budget the calories, they may be helpful to you. Good luck.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I put on a total of 70lbs within about a year and a half maybe less. I firmly believe my story is going to be like yours thanks so much! I will talk to my Dr again but they are more concerned that I quit smoking lol.

They were the same with me after I quit smoking. They weren't worried about the weight at all. I was!

I went from a 20 year smoker to a 2-3 mile jogger. And I hope to increase the distance I run. I never thought I would be able to run and it feels great to be able to. Quitting smoking was the best thing I have ever done. I just wish I had done it years before.