Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Carbs?? Something else??

Hey guys,
So I'm almost 25 years old, and have about 25 extra lbs I wanna drop, and also tone up a lot.

For the past month or so, I've been eating 1500 cals a day, and going to the gym (doing mostly cardio) about 4 times a week.

When I was in my teens, this is always what I did and the lbs started dropping off right away. This doesn't seem to be the case any longer..I'm thinking my metabolism has slowed considerably. Anyway, I'm at a loss of what to do and looking for suggestions. I have never monitored anything besides calories, and was wondering if restricting carbs might be a good idea? How many carbs a day should I be looking to be around? And any other suggestions of what might help would be appreciated. Thanks guys! :)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Unless your are insulin sensitive or insulin resistant then carbs aren't your issue...and they're usually not the issue for individuals who exercise regularly and aren't grossly overweight. My guess would be that you are consuming more than you think you are and/or overestimating your exercise burn.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Carbs don't slow down weight loss (at least, not to a significant enough degree that you need to worry about them). You are older now, your metabolism is slower now than it was when you were 14. Plus, time distorts memories. I would venture to guess your weight loss isn't slowing down as much as you think it is compared to what you were doing in your teens.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    I agree with what the other posters have said about carbs. Not a problem providing you're metabolically healthy.

It seems the main reason people struggle to lose weight is inaccurate tracking of foods....make sure you're weighing and measuring all your food accurately, and accounting for everything--fats you use for cooking, sugar you put into your coffee or tea, being sure you're accurately measuring the real calorie dense stuff you eat like peanut butter, etc. Using a digital scale and being extremely consistent with it has been so important to me.

I can't see your diary, so I can't be any more specific than that.
  • AllieSue07
    AllieSue07 Posts: 4 Member
    Alright, thanks for the suggestions guys