Pre-workout supplements

Options
Hi,

I am a female looking for a boost before a workout. I want to start weight training 3x per week and am probably going to try something like Stronglifts 5x5 begginer. I have never taken supplements but I know there are tons of pre-workout mixes out there to help get you pumped before a workout and help with recovery. I don't know if there are different supplements for women and men or if both can take them. I prefer to go more on the natural side (less artificial ingredients) but with my 10-12 hour days at work I just don't have the energy to go to the gym after work. I would appreciate any recommendations or advice on the subject as well as information on other types of supplements like recovery formulas/protein that is beneficial for someone like me.

Thanks!
Brittany

Replies

• spammarino
    spammarino Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Cellucor C4 is my preworkout of choice. It gives me the focus and energy every time. I've also previously used Jack3D, but have heard a lot of people crashing afterwards. As with any preworkout stimulants, make sure you follow instructions to *kitten* your tolerance. My post workout is always Optimum Nutrition Natural Whey because it has all the artificial sweeteners taken out.

Also, what is your goal with the weight training? I assume to add lean mass. I can't see your nutrition info so make sure you have the proper calorie surplus and macros.

The same would hold true if you were still on a cut...proper macros and importantly enough protein to help preserve your existing lean mass.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Try different ones, lots of people have varying luck with different ingredients. Some of them make me jittery, some make me nauseous, and some don't do anything at all for me. I had to try about half a dozen types before I found one I liked (which is Cellucor C4).
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I would keep it simple - caffeine and sugar. I wouldn't use anything else if you're a newbie, because if you don't feel right while exercising, you won't be able to tell whether it's from the supplements or something else.
    with my 10-12 hour days at work I just don't have the energy to go to the gym after work.

A power-nap for 15 minutes can work wonders. And eat a snack an hour before, or a meal 2 hours before.
    After lifting, a normal, balanced meal will give you all that you need.
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Bump for curiosity :p
  • imfittted
    imfittted Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Is there anywhere I can go to buy samples or better yet get them for free? Like GNC or something?
  • imfittted
    imfittted Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My goal is to cut down on fat and build muscle.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I like jack3d but have tried numerous pwo's before I decided on that one.

You can get like 3 serving sizes on bodybuilding.com to try if you're not sure what will work for you. I also sip BCAAs during my workout, that really helps with soreness.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting training, there is no need for a Pre-workout. If anything, use caffiene to get you the extra energy. After your first few warm up sets, you will feel a lot more energy anyway from having the increase blood flow. Once you have lifted for a little while and feel like you need a boost, then you can try a pre-workout but this is not the time.
  • spammarino
    spammarino Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yeah bodybuilding.com has small samplers that you can purchase. Definitely not the best value, but worth it to see what works for you. They normally throw in some free samples with your orders too.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    caffeine pill
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I've been using Lit-Up from Applied Nutriceuticals. I workout early AM, and this stuff wakes me up and gives me a boost without any crash afterwards. I love the peach tea.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need anything special as a beginner.