5 Months of work, Got below 200

Options
When I started on April 2nd I had an idea of what I wanted. To be healthier, to be able to play with the kids without losing my breath, to not be the "fat guy" in the group. Five years of work behind a desk put me up to 235 lbs and a loss of a lot of my muscle mass. April the 1st I went to go to an off-duty job, oh, I'm a detective with the police department. Anyway, I couldn't get my gun belt to fasten. I ended up cinching in an underbelt and away I went, uncomfortable all night and because of the constriction, breathing was slightly difficult. Needless to say, I had to make a change. On April 2nd I went full bore Atkins, but after 4 or 5 weeks, couldn't do that any more, but it got me down 15 lbs so running was possible again without too much pain on joints. I ran maybe once a week while I turned to My Fitness Pal. A buddy in the office was doing it and it seemed to work. On May 31 I started to workout, circuit training at first but switched to lifting weights at the end of June. It's been 90 days now of a concerted effort on my part to workout 4 times a week and run 2. Not a lot of cardio as one might want for weight loss but an effort I felt I could do. Well I've done it and here are my results.

This first photo is from April 2nd. I was 235 ish. Believe my Body Fat was around 34 %.

4213front-1.jpg

This one is from 9-2-13. 200 lbs (Today I'm 199.8 yes, probably water tho, LOL)

20130902_081612-1.jpg

Still a ways to go, now to focus on building my LBM and trying to maintain 190s. The boards here are great inspiration, and MFP is a great tool, but the only thing that is going to change you is you.

Thanks MFP.

Replies

• rpd911
    rpd911 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just found my other post, Body fat in first is 38% not 34%.
  • SqueekG
    SqueekG Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You Look GREAT for 5 months in.... keep it up.. :):)
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    well done sir. you look great!
  • SamMorBelsmom
    SamMorBelsmom Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Congrats on your success. I am not a big cardio fan either. I am glad I can still manage weight loss without killing myself. What was your biggest food change?
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You look incredible! Great job!!!
  • itzehoe
    itzehoe Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    WOW - GREAT!!
  • rpd911
    rpd911 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, like I said. Seeing the posts on the success boards for people and what they were able to accomplish really helps.

Biggest thing I cut out was really three fold, but all really the same. I quit using sugar, don't eat anything that has it except on Sundays, as that is my free day, though I don't go crazy with it. I cut out beer, which, sucked at first, but now don't miss it that much. The last thing was cutting out white flour based foods, no bread unless it has more than 5g of fiber in it, though I don't really eat bread bread, I eat Thomas English Muffins with 1/3 the daily fiber, think they have 9g. If there is something I want sweet, I use honey to do it, be it in coffee or tea, though only hot tea, as sweet tea is only good with sugar in it, southern tea. Biggest thing I try to do is, keep my sugars in general, fruit included, down to what MFP says, though eating bananas and pineapple kill that on my cardio days. I never eat my alotted fat and keep my carbs to about half what MFP suggests - though not so much on cardio days. Because I've been lifting, I've increased my protein intake which helps compensate for the lower fat and carb intake.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    rock on!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    wow!!! awsome transformation!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!