carb confused

Options
ok, im trying to gain... prolly like 15 lbs.. no time limit, but I wanna also stay toned... I prolly eat more fruit than the daily suggestions, but can I just use that as a carb count or, for gaining purposes, should I back off as much fruit and get actual grains, etc?
any gaining advice or food advice would b awesome... o and fyi... im a vegetarian :)

Replies

• Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Whole grains :)
    If you want to gain you have to have more calories in. Fruits help, but I can't eat too much fruit in a day. Grains are easier to eat in greater amounts for me. FYI: I'm a veggie too, and I eat 70+% carbs daily.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    ok, im trying to gain... prolly like 15 lbs.. no time limit, but I wanna also stay toned... I prolly eat more fruit than the daily suggestions, but can I just use that as a carb count or, for gaining purposes, should I back off as much fruit and get actual grains, etc?
    any gaining advice or food advice would b awesome... o and fyi... im a vegetarian :)

The overall surplus you run will determine how "toned" you manage to stay while gaining, food choices not so much assuming you are getting in adequate protein and fats
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    The simplest piece of advice I was giving was to eat more, 5% over daily for a very small gain overtime (i.e. clean build), 15% for a more aggressive gain. Adding an additional tablespoon of olive oil, an additional serving of nuts, an additional glass of milk/yogurt, a piece of cheese, or something else of your choosing. I am not a fan of fruit for additional calories...
  • Have a bowl of pasta, whole weat bagels with fat free cream cheese, fruit, fat free pringles, **** like that tohit your carb intake. Sure some might be processed but in the end of the day, its net calories in vs calories out.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Have a bowl of pasta, whole weat bagels with fat free cream cheese, fruit, fat free pringles, **** like that tohit your carb intake. Sure some might be processed but in the end of the day, its net calories in vs calories out.
    Is that Big J in that pic.
  • KickingButt
    KickingButt Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    thanks y'all, good info/advice! I appreciate it!
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    By all means, eat fruit, it's won't hurt at all.. but you could also try consuming whole grain and whole wheat carbs to assist in your carb intake, for slower digestion + shorter release of energy :) good luck
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Count protein, fat, and calories. Splitting hairs between fruit vs grains is a waste of effort at best.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Count protein, fat, and calories. Splitting hairs between fruit vs grains is a waste of effort at best.

proteins, fats and carbs.. aka Macros.. But yeah he's pretty much on spot. Counting macros is fine, doesn't matter what kinds of carbs you get as long as it's in moderation..
  • KickingButt
    KickingButt Posts: 75 Member
    Options