30 Day Shred Help!!

Options
I'm new to MFP and need a little help. I've already lost my first 14lbs but now I'm struggling to loose the last 10lbs. I've been stuck on a weight plateau for the past month, so decided to try out the 30 day shred as I've heard great reviews. I've just completed day 4 but am now a little disheartened as I've gained around 4lb. I'm not over eating, drinking plenty of water so I really can't understand why the weight gain! Am I doing something wrong or should I just give it another few days and see what happens. Surely I should be losing the weight??? HELP!!

Replies

• danigirl1988
    danigirl1988 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Have you checked to see if you lost any inches?? I've just started level 2 and I have lost a couple inches, but not pounds yet.

I think you should stick with it a little longer- and don't get discouraged with what the scale says!
  • vitabread
    Options
    Hi there, congrats on the 14lbs!! That's awesome :) i did 30 day shred about a year ago and stuck with the plan exactly as outlined and didn't change my diet much. I did not lose a lot of weight, maybe around 5lbs or so, but I did trim up quite a bit and lost 2 inches around my waist and 2 around my hips :)
    I don't think there is anything wrong, I would stick with it for 10 more days and see where you're at after 2 weeks! Good luck.
  • gwen485
    gwen485 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You're not by yourself, I'm on day 3 level 1 and have gained 4 as well. But, I'm going to stick with it for this month and see how it goes!!
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    You just started. Totally normal to retain water (and thus weight) for the first 3-4 weeks. It will come off.
  • ROBO693
    ROBO693 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Are you gaining muscle? I agree about checking on the inches. The workout only burns 200-300 calories since it's not all cardio but it is the equivilant of an hour at the gym. I did it religously a few years ago and lost 20lbs. Nowadays since I'm used to burning more calories I do level 3 followed by a 2 mile jog. Good luck!
  • danigirl1988
    danigirl1988 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I read this article I thought you might resonate with it. I also think its good advice to keep in mind for everyone :)

http://whole9life.com/2012/03/5-reasons-to-break-up-with-your-scale/
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I always go up 4-5 lbs when starting a new exercise routine. It's your muscles swelling and retaining water.
  • Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have done 30DS a few times and always gain weight the first week. This is completely normal, its just your body reacting to a new routine, dont worry it will come off in the week or two after xx dont give up, 30DS is a good workout x
  • CaseyM1985
    CaseyM1985 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Your body is most likely just adjusting to a new routine and that gives you weird fluctuations. I'd give it some more time and not look too much at the numbers till closer to the end. Also, take measurements because sometimes the results are based on inches rather than pounds :)

Keep with it, 30DS is an awesome workout :)
  • vicksg1973
    Options
    I second what everyone has been saying about inch loss. I've lost no weight, but I have lost 2.5 inches from my waist and I'm halfway through the 30 day shred.

It's a very different mindset to get into, but as someone wise on MFP wrote recently - inch loss is what other people will see.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I always go up 4-5 lbs when starting a new exercise routine. It's your muscles swelling and retaining water.

This.

Unless you ate 14000 calories, it's only water.

ETA: 14000 calories over maintenance...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I too have gained (1lb) and I'm only on day 3 - level 1 :(
    and for me I work out all the time anyway (5 days/week 60 mins/day), with a lot of strength and low impact cardio/walking so I didn't think I would gain.
    I have no intention of giving up but its frustrating.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options

This.

Unless you ate 14000 calories, it's only water.

I like this ^^ :-D and of course we know we can't possibly gain eating under allowance etc but its frustrating all the same.
  • rubixcyoob
    Options
    From what I've read, when you do strength training your muscles get tiny tears and in order to recover there is an increase in fluid - with programmes like 30DS progress is much better recorded with measurements and not weight.
  • c_tap77
    c_tap77 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I did 30DS last month and I'm going to start it up again after a week break from it (doing other exercise of course) and use heavier weights.

The first week I gained 2 lbs, but I lost 10.7 lbs in August and tons of inches. For me it was just trusting that I was eating right and eventually the scale would catch up with all my hard work.

Good luck--even if you don't see the scale move, I bet you feel better right??? I know I sure did :bigsmile:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Probably water retention.
  • JessicaA84
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) It's put my mind to rest knowing that it's just not me. I have taken down my before body stats so will measure again at the end. Hoping to see good results whether or not the scale moves down! How many calories should I be netting then daily? Do I have to eat back my exercise calories back also?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Its a matter of choice, personally I eat back half if I'm hunngry. Mfp generally over estimates so best not eat them all :)