Mercury and fish

Options
I eat fish probably four-five times per week (in sashimi form, mainly). I don't eat other meats, and it provides good protein and nutrition. However, the mercury now has me a little concerned. I found this website that lists low to high mercury level of various fish. There is also a mercury calculator that estimates your mercury intake.

http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/guide.asp

Hope it is helpful to someone.

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I eat fish probably four-five times per week (in sashimi form, mainly). I don't eat other meats, and it provides good protein and nutrition. However, the mercury now has me a little concerned. I found this website that lists low to high mercury level of various fish. There is also a mercury calculator that estimates your mercury intake.

If you're on the pacific coast, you should be aware of the fukushima effect, and that fish are showing up that are slightly radioactive. (Thanks Japan!)

In fact, a friend of mine is salmon fishing today outside of seattle, and will be testing the fish for radiation levels. When the radiation from Fukushima hits the coast next year, expect no more safe fish from the northern half of the pacific.

:( Salmon populations are even plummeting.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    This is why I eat farm-raised, GMO enhanced tilapia.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    very disturbing. thanks for the information. Such a quality food source...contaminated.
  • dbmata
    Options
    very disturbing. thanks for the information. Such a quality food source...contaminated.

We started talking about it Sunday, and it was so depressing.

So for me and my family, this is the last year for salmon, dungeness (they greatest crab there is), salmon, sturgeon, anything in a river delta or confluence close to salt water, as well as tuna. It could stay that way for a long time, we're talking a 30 year halfway for the radiation, so in 60 years it will be 25% of what it is today.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I read an article the other day about this. The smaller the fish, the less mercury it will have. The larger fish eat the smaller fish and therefore the mercury builds up in their system. Tuna and other large fish will have a lot more mercury than small fish like salmon and crustaceans like shrimp and crabs, etc. Canned tuna has the most mercury from what I read in the articles online.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I read an article the other day about this. The smaller the fish, the less mercury it will have. The larger fish eat the smaller fish and therefore the mercury builds up in their system. Tuna and other large fish will have a lot more mercury than small fish like salmon and crustaceans like shrimp and crabs, etc. Canned tuna has the most mercury from what I read in the articles online.

I think if you get the chunk light tuna...it is much lower in mercury than the albacore tuna. I used to eat ahi tuna on salads bi-weekly. i probably had a lot of mercury build up. when i was pregnant, i was aware of the mercury issues...and stopped eating most fish all together, but since baby was born and nursing over...i have endulged my sushi addiction.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Well, tuna are apparently larger fish.. bigger the fish the bigger the amount of mercury.
    Here is the information I was talking about.

http://blueocean.org/issues/fish-as-food/mercury/

http://blueocean.org/issues/fish-as-food/mercury/advice-mercury-in-seafood/

http://blueocean.org/documents/2012/07/boi-mercury-report.pdf
  • rosemary98
    Options
    Well, tuna are apparently larger fish.. bigger the fish the bigger the amount of mercury.
    Here is the information I was talking about.

http://blueocean.org/issues/fish-as-food/mercury/

http://blueocean.org/issues/fish-as-food/mercury/advice-mercury-in-seafood/

http://blueocean.org/documents/2012/07/boi-mercury-report.pdf
    so sickening....thank you for the links.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I can't live without sea food. The perfect food. And we ruined it. Excuse me while I go cry.....

And then probably die of mercury poisoning because I don't want to give it up. :(
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    It's heartbreaking- we are killing the earth...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,970 Member
    Options

Pretty sure it's going to repay the favor and kill us too, then rebuild itself over billions of years and the circle is complete. Humans are pretty fragile. Hopefully we'll die out before all the other critters do.
  • nitenichiryu
    Options
    If you're on the pacific coast, you should be aware of the fukushima effect, and that fish are showing up that are slightly radioactive. (Thanks Japan!)

In fact, a friend of mine is salmon fishing today outside of seattle, and will be testing the fish for radiation levels. When the radiation from Fukushima hits the coast next year, expect no more safe fish from the northern half of the pacific.

Thanks, Japan? I'm sure they willed that tsunami and earthquake to happen. 馬鹿野郎.

BTW...Caesium-137 has a half-life of 30 years (~70 days biological half0life); cesium-134, 2.1 years. Caesium-137 is present in the entirety of the Pacific ocean from the nuclear weapons testing that peaked in the 50s and 60s by the United States and other like powers. Caesium-134 is from Fukushima directly. Not too mention that the overwhelming majority of fish caught and tested test below the safe limit in Japan (which happens to be 10x stricter than that of Canada).
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options

Pretty sure it's going to repay the favor and kill us too, then rebuild itself over billions of years and the circle is complete. Humans are pretty fragile. Hopefully we'll die out before all the other critters do.

:drinker:
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm over the limit =[ I have tilapia or salmon or tuna every day to reach my protein goal(pescetarian here).

And I'm only a pescetarian because I took a class in nutrition that convinced me red meat with it's hormones etc is bad! Pick your poison I guess.
  • dbmata
    Options
    BTW...Caesium-137 has a half-life of 30 years (~70 days biological half0life); cesium-134, 2.1 years. Caesium-137 is present in the entirety of the Pacific ocean from the nuclear weapons testing that peaked in the 50s and 60s by the United States and other like powers. Caesium-134 is from Fukushima directly. Not too mention that the overwhelming majority of fish caught and tested test below the safe limit in Japan (which happens to be 10x stricter than that of Canada).

EDITED:
    Just did a little reading, it was caesium-137

KEPT: With luck, we'll not have to worry soon because we'll have Godzilla.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I'm over the limit =[ I have tilapia or salmon or tuna every day to reach my protein goal(pescetarian here).

And I'm only a pescetarian because I took a class in nutrition that convinced me red meat with it's hormones etc is bad! Pick your poison I guess.

I'm a plant eater- sometimes organic....but pesticides will get me!!
    Building a massive vegie garden at present to help with this issue.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

That is my plan. Muahahahahahahaha!
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options

I'm a plant eater- sometimes organic....but pesticides will get me!!
    Building a massive vegie garden at present to help with this issue.

THERE IS NOTHING LEFT =[ I eat mostly plants as well along with my one fish a day, and who can afford to always shop organic? merrrrrr =[
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness the fish I get are fresh caught out of a tested mercury free lake.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

The graphic going around Facebook that purportedly shows the radiation spread was actually released in 2011 … to show wave height from the tsunami caused by the earthquake. Some radiation has leaked into water around Fukushima, but for the most part, when compared with vastness of the Pacific Ocean, it's negligible. It will be so diluted when it reaches our Pacific Coast that its effects will be very minimal. (see the article on snopes.com)

I can't speak for the salmon populations decreasing or anything but I would love to see some legitimate information on that, or on any effects of the radiation different from what I've just stated.

As far as mercury, my understanding has always been that it's higher in the more fatty fishes, and in shellfish. I've never worried about it much, but then I can't afford fish more than once or twice a week, and usually not that often.