Stand Up Paddle Boarding - Calories Burned?

Options
2»

Replies

• taratrejo
    taratrejo Posts: 1
    Options
    I have started taking paddle board yoga classes and am trying to find calorie burn information for this. Anyone have any ideas? It is more challenging than traditional yoga because of the core engagement that you have going on the entire time.
    Thanks!
  • BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Got started with SUP last weekend and love it! One of the best workouts ever and so much fun. For those of you who use an HRM, what kind do you use and is it a problem if you fall off and it gets wet? That was my only concern there.
  • Scubadivr205
    Scubadivr205 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have been SUPing for about 6 weeks now and love it!
    I just enter it and estimate the calories. According to everything I have read about 500-700 per hour for the girls and 700-900 for the guys. I usually estimate about 10 calories per minute depending on how much intensity I have so that I'm a little under if anything. If anyone gets a better reading with a waterproof HRM I would love to learn more
  • wswetnam
    wswetnam Posts: 1
    Options
    Kindeo:
    I use a heart rate monitor strap when I SUP and have never had an issue with it getting wet. Most are sealed to keep sweat out, and so long as you're just jumping in to cool off (or if you happen to fall in) the rubber gasket around the battery compartment door should keep the water out just fine. I'd just avoid snorkeling or scuba diving unless you know the HRM strap is rated for that depth... ;)

Scubadivr205:
    I think (to put on the geeky hat here) that any "calorie" calculations that come out of an HRM and Garmin (or whatever other generic device is used independent of brand) will be guesstimates that may not (and in most cases, will not) be accurate for either the person using the HRM nor for anyone else who may try to calculate their caloric burn from the numbers that the user posts. Here is the short version of why... First off - in the "chalk that one up in the duh column" - we are all different. We all have our own metabolic burn rate, min and max hrm, different "zones" (which need to be computed by using specific testing, not just % of Max, etc) and so on. Secondly - these computers are working with very few data points. As an example, I use a Garmin 500 which is designed as a cycling computer. It does allow me to enter in my "equipment" weight, my body weight, hr zones, my age and gender; but it then calculates caloric burn based off of a set of formulas that I don't have access to. I'm assuming it is using my hr relative to my max hr, perhaps it is using my zone info (I did get that done by a certified training center - steady efforts while breathing into a tube while they measured wattage, hr, cadence, etc), perhaps it is also using the %grade, some factor for wind resistance (based on my speed), and so on. However it calculates it, there is no setting in my Garmin to let me tell it that I'm now on the water SUPing, or running, or rock climbing, or hiking... so I think my Garmin is optimized to calculate cycling calories. I don't think we can assume that if cycling at one heart rate burns 500 calories in an hour, that SUPping at the same heart rate will burn that same 500 (or whatever) calories an hour.

Clear as mud?

I think that (at best) these numbers can be used to gage relative effort between various workouts in the same discipline, but can't be used to get an accurate measure of calories burned.
  • tlab827
    tlab827 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love paddleboarding and have been logging it as stationary paddling.

Thank you, Brody for the fantastic insite!
  • BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Super helpful, thanks!
  • mikalamarie
    mikalamarie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I LOVE SUP :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Heh, how much burned? wear an hrm. If you're like me though, trying to learn on a racing SUP... there's a lot of push ups.
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I'll be wearing my HRM today and will post results. I realize a lot of this is old but.....
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Using my HRM and going pretty hard for 2 hours, HRM said 1625.

It was around 5 miles on a pretty slow river keeping a 3-4 MPH pace against the slow current and 4-5 with.

500-600 would be easy to do per hour with the proper teqnique.

I was digging in racing style.
  • miguelge57
    miguelge57 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I burn 900 calories in one hour. I paddle with my heart on a 131 level during 3 miles. I'm 56, with 199 Lbs . Today I burned 1750 calories on a open ocean trip of 5.3 miles in 100 minutes. I use an sport line watch and I subtract 20% from the total...
  • brightonbecki
    Options
    I completely agree - SUP/ Paddle boarding is not high intensity. It is a strength / balance work out for your core, legs and arms.

It is NOT cardio. Go running for 30+ minutes to find out what cardio feels like - there should be a big difference in your heart rate ;)

For something to be cardio, your heart rate needs to be at around 70% of your maximum heart rate. So for a 25 year old this would be around 137 bpm. Personally, I don't think I get above 60% max heart rate when I am flat out paddle boarding.

The good news for people trying to lose weight is that you don't need to be in the cardio stages to lose weight - your fat burning zone is actually 60% maximum heart rate (so for a 25 year old, around 117 bpm which is more achievable on a SUP).

So working out what I burn when running versus how I feel when doing 90 minutes of SUP- I would say per hour 200 calories - maybe 250 MAX as a 8.5 stone woman (120lb).

No doubt it is more for anyone who is bigger or stronger.
  • CTsurfer811
    Options
    Here my two cents on this. It highly depends how you paddle. For example, you can go running or jogging, both are the same type of workout but the calories burnt are very different. A relaxed recreational paddle can probably be compared to a moderate hike as someone mentioned earlier. I've been paddling for a couple of years and go to a bunch of races every year. My average pace on my 14' x 25.5" race board is around 11min to 11min 30 sec / mile or 5.2 to 5.5 mph. I don't wear a hrm but my heart rate is way up there in the cardio zone. The folks on here who think paddling is not a cardio or a core workout are definitely not putting enough effort into it and are using the wrong technique. I see plenty of recreational paddlers on the local lake that go half as fast and probably burn half the amount of calories.

Bottom line... Stand up paddling can definitely be a full blown cardio workout and can burn more than 1000 calories per hour. The amount of calories burned during a paddleboard session depends what you make out of your workout. If you go slow and enjoy the scenery you'll probably burn 250 to 400 calories. If you're in racing mode and give 100% you'll burn somewhere around 1000 calories per hour. Using the right technique you'll engage almost all the muscles of your body. If you're not sure how to paddle or you're new to the sport, check out some instructional videos on YouTube or watch some races. Sign up for local races if there are any in your area and you'll always get a great workout and meet new interesting people.

Cheers
  • janiecoffey1
    Options
    I did 2 hours and my heart rate monitor said I burned 618 calories. I am 119 lbs, 45 years old, 23% bodyfat...
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    bump to save info... I'm hoping to start SUPing soon!
  • giftofsobriety
    Options
    I just paddle surfed for an hour exactly and.

Average hr 161
    Max hr 181
    Calories 893

Using polar ft7
  • GeoguyBri
    GeoguyBri Posts: 16 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I realize this thread is pretty old, but as I enjoy SUP and am getting back into MFP, thought I'd throw my .02 in. A board and paddle are a tool, like a treadmill. You get out what you put into it. Run on a treadmill or walk on one. You'll get much different results.
    gyg1n0rswydl.jpg