Low glycemic foods

Options
I tried bran cereals today 'cause I read that lower glycemic food lasts you longer, fills you better or what ever you want to call it. It works! 4 hours later I still feel full!

Does anybody have recipes for low glycemic foods?

Not that the bran cereal tastes really great, but if it works, I'll eat it.

Replies

• stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    I tried bran cereals today 'cause I read that lower glycemic food lasts you longer, fills you better or what ever you want to call it. It works! 4 hours later I still feel full!

Does anybody have recipes for low glycemic foods?

Not that the bran cereal tastes really great, but if it works, I'll eat it.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I have one for you....

Bean Salad
    2 cans vegetarian pork and beans
    1 can red/kidney beans
    1 can navy beans
    1 can black beans
    2 cans (28 oz) CUT green beans
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup chopped green pepper (optional)
    1 lb ground turkey - browned
    1 15 oz of favorite bbq sauce (find the one with the lowest sugar content)

rinse/drain all beans except pork and beans. brown ground turkey. mix all ingredients together in 9x13 pan and bake at 350 for approx 45 minutes. Top with Fat Free cheddar cheese (shredded).
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Here is a great link I found with recipes for you (and the rest of us!!)

http://www.glycemicgourmet.com/low-glycemic-recipes.html
  • stschulz
    Options
    Thanks.
    A lot of beans (7 cans?)

I'll try it.
  • littlespoon
    littlespoon Posts: 165
    Options
    If you make a meal that consists of mostly low glycemic ingredients and the add say, a potato, (which is high glycemic) it will still make the meal and low to medium glycemic meal.

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

This is the official website and has heaps of information and you can type in foods to get the glycemic index and glycemic loading. And yes it works really well.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Steff,

I basically follow a low GI due to my diabetes but I don't do so on a continually intentional basis. With me, it's more a matter of after almost 6 years as a diabetic, I have a pretty good idea now of what spikes my levels and what doesn't. However, that has changed somewhat with my weight loss and exercise, so now I am learning about other foods I couldn't eat before--like fruits, some new vegis, and yogurt (yes, yogurt!).

For fruits, bananas are fairly low-and filling. So is watermelon, which is VERY low GI even though it's high in natural sugar because it is also so high in water content. I can eat 5-10 ounces of watermelon and want nothing else for a while. Very filling and causes almost a small increase in levels, too. Coconuts are fairly low GI--I haven't officially checked them out yet but it didn't cause my levels to hardly move at all, so it has to be low GI I would think.

Yogurt the same--almost no increase in my levels. I've been eating the "lite" kind and it's great. I've even had just yogurt for lunch a couple times the last week when I wasn't riding and keeping my calories low.

Sweet potatoes are fairly low because they are very fibrous.

Also, anything with whole grains, whole wheat, lots of fiber, or oats is low GI.
  • stschulz
    Options
    I think I am just going to play with that a litle. I am not diabetic, but I think it makes sense to keep you blood sugars low or to not drive them high as you would with a donut and then be hungry again in an hour. I am loking for things I can eat before I go on a long ride that will fill me, are not heavy and last long. Bran cereal :sick: does that. I'll try other things. Then I'll eat protein (probably as a drink) and carbs immediately after the exercise.
    All I can say so far is that even though thr bran cereal does not taste that great, I was not hungry four hours. From a 1 1/2 cup breakfeast with a half a banana. That's pretty good.
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    ohh, cool, more low gi peeps :happy:

I read that any cereals which have been turned into a flake go up GI wise due to the flaking process breaking down the carbs/ sugars. It effectivly turns a complex into a simple, low gi to hi.

Thats all...
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    The South Beach diet book goes into a lot about the GI and how it works for dieting. Check out their site for free recipes.

Since I read that book I did a lot of research into GI and it's effects... is how I base my diet since I joined the site.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Don't know about that but I will tell you that based upon my looking at umteen million types of cereals and personally testing many of them, that Cheerios has about the lowest carbs, sugar, and sodium out there--and it doesn't spike my levels. Never looked up the GI on it though.

The only one cereal I've found that is better than Cheerios is the Canadian version of Special K--and you can't get that in the States :explode: Might be able to in Wales though, not sure. Seems the company decided that American taste buds liked the heavily sweet/salty taste better.:sick: :sick:
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    I think porridge is awesome tho... Excelent GI and fills you up all day