Self-loathing after over-eating

Hey,
to all who have experienced the sickening feeling of self-loath after over-eating:
How do you deal with it? Is there something you do in order to not feel defeated or like a failure?
I'm working on getting better with binges, and while I know a lot of my triggers, sometimes I can't control it and it happens...
It makes me feel bad, especially when I'm on the brink (like 0,1kg away^^) of reaching a new goal and have to work my way towards it again instead of reaching it when I could have...
I know that one day is nothing, but I just have a hard time leaving it behind me and I don't want to feel that way.
I'd be happy to get some of your input :)
karu77

Replies

• Cheekies_
    Cheekies_ Posts: 319 Member
    Hi! It helps me to think of every meal as "new". If I binge and overeat (which I tend to do the day before my period) I just remember that it is in the past and begin again with my next meal. The next meal is a new, clean slate. In the past, I would beat myself up for the rest of the day and ended up continuing to eat bad. I figured I had ruined the day so why not eat whatever I want and start again the next morning. I had to change my thinking. Instead of waited until the next day to get back on the wagon I did it at the next meal. It's not perfect but better...
  • I just had a binge on Sunday about 1200 cals above my goal. I'm horrible...I hate me yes those were all running through my head.

1-I make my failure public to my bf and other friends
    2-I did about 90 minutes of cardio the following day and stayed on target with my calories
    3-I reminded myself of what my weight loss means to me to my daughters and to my fiance
    4- I picture me feeling amazing in a swim suit in skinny jeans taking a family photo and not feeling bad
    5- I forgive myself because 2 months ago I would have done much worse
    6- I move one
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    You're forgiven for overeating. Now you have to practice forgiving yourself. It's takes time to learn to shrug off the times when you've done something you regret, but it can be done. I've been trying to do this myself for several months now. It get's easier.

Just be sure to accurately log everything, as a reminder to do better. And, if you blow it early in the day, as I did yesterday, then just be willing to eat a healthy balanced meal later in the day, perhaps with somewhat smaller calories, so that you don't overeat again later that day.

You're worth forgiving! Especially by you!
  • karu77
    karu77 Posts: 14 Member
    Thank you so much.
    I'll definitely work on not letting it ruin the whole day the next time it happens.
    It'll be hard, but I CAN do it :)

I just went for a run and I feel so much better now. I'll get to my goal eventually :)
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    I know that today I will be over my goal, and my lunch was pretty awful calorie-wise. But I just look past that and realize that I'm not eating like this everyday, and I'll still feel better now than I did in the past. I hold myself accountable too, by having my diary in the open to friends and strangers alike.
  • hannahjames295
    hannahjames295 Posts: 74 Member
    I'd just like to say thank you for posting and thanks for the lovely helpful responses. I too struggle with the negative overeating cycle, if I start a day badly then I tend to beat myself up over it and then think "well there's no point" and eat crap the rest if the day, then wake up the next day thinking I may as well start again next week as I've already blown it!
    The tips that have been posted all sound useful, particularly taking one meal at a time and wiping the slate clean, thank you :flowerforyou:
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    If you are changing your Lifestyle, you must be patient with yourself and LEARN from your set-backs. That's IT, no magic bullet ...Just Living and Learning.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    I remember that my calories all average out. I don't even think of overeating one day as "bad". What I do think of as a setback is when I'm substantially over my net calorie goal for the entire week, or if I haven't been exercising a few times a week.
  • This was helpful to read tonight, thank you!