Ideas on what to eat? Vegan + with digestive problems? :\

Options
Hi. I have IBS. It runs in my family. I think I made things worse because there was a time when I would make myself throw up quite a lot. I've always been a vegetarian but have now become a vegan.

I was just wondering on what to eat. I think I was undereating and because I was eating a very restrictive diet (bananas, peanut butter, porridge, soy milk, basically) because I tend to be a very repetitive eater, I wasn't getting the right nutrients or whatever so was feeling really crap.

So, I am trying to eat more now, and yesterday was my second day. The thing is, in my bid to get more protein, I ate a lot of beans. I am totally fine with breakfast - I eat what's listed above with ground almonds in it - but other meals are crap to me. I ate a jacket potato yesterday with vegan margarine which was really nice, but I also ate broccoli and some dried mixed beans. I immediately regretted the quantity of dried mixed beans, because I was burping it up and it was really unpleasant.

I made myself eat dinner, and I had broccoli, chickpeas and some sauce or something. This was a huge mistake, because I kept regurgitating the broccoli. I then had a high temperature and threw up around 3 AM and felt awful this morning because I could still taste the food and hadn't digested it. I was just wondering WTF to do, because I think this might be to do with the fibre content, and as well they advise not eating beans, lentils etc for those with IBS.

I was thinking of buying a smoothie maker so I can just eat liquid calories instead and then have no problems with digestion, presumably? It's awkward because this puts me off the foods. E.g. this also happened when I ate an apple and was regurgitating it for hours, then threw up. So I don't eat apples any more. -_- How can I get the right nutrients? Because I had symptoms of malnourishment so really want to eat more varied food, and the right food, but then it's as if I'm not digesting it anyway?!

Replies

• FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Try quinoa. It's a seed that cooks like couscous. As far as I know, it's the only stand-alone, plant-based complete protein. It can be sweet or savory. Just be sure to rinse it prior to cooking (you'll need a very fine strainer, cheese cloth?, since the seeds are tiny). It's a really good base for vegan dishes.

also, maybe look into fruit smoothies. This morning I had my usual smoothie: one banana, 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries, 1/2 cup of frozen strawberries, a fist full of kale (I like this better than spinach because it's significantly cheaper, organic kale = $1.29/lb) and water (no ice since I use frozen berries). Anyway, I would experiment with fruits and veggies you do like.
  • questermrk
    questermrk Posts: 10
    Options
    I have to say, I tried to cook quinoa twice and it was kind of gross both times, but I didn't rinse beforehand so maybe that's why?! Thanks so much. I've bought a smoothie maker now just because otherwise I'm not sure how I'm going to get enough calories and it's making things so difficult. I was thinking if I blended broccoli then maybe I wouldn't have a problem eating it, as I do really like broccoli and indeed all vegetables / fruits, but my stomach seems to have a hard time with them. -_- And there seems to be a number of high calorie smoothie recipes. Thank you.
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    TheChocolatePrincess Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Shakes...GNC makes a great whey protein powder that gives a lot of protein and they are tasty. You can add fruit to them for a little variety. I also suggest you consult a physician about the IBS (sounds like GERD). They may be able to give you something for the reflux.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I tried to cook quinoa twice and it was kind of gross both times, but I didn't rinse beforehand so maybe that's why?! Thanks so much. I've bought a smoothie maker now just because otherwise I'm not sure how I'm going to get enough calories and it's making things so difficult. I was thinking if I blended broccoli then maybe I wouldn't have a problem eating it, as I do really like broccoli and indeed all vegetables / fruits, but my stomach seems to have a hard time with them. -_- And there seems to be a number of high calorie smoothie recipes. Thank you.

Bleh. Quinoa is HORRID if you don't rinse it. I rinse it before AND after. I also cook it with a veggie stock cube to add flavor. :)
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I don't know anthing about IBS but my son's girlfriend is vegan and I have found some great recipes on a blog called FatFree Vegan Kitchen. Try looking her up and she might even be able to answer some of your questions. She seems extremely knowledgeable about vegan lifestyle and may have some insight to digestive issues as well.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    try green juices , eliminate soya and grains, get protein from tofu, nuts, seeds and bean sprouts etc. Eat bananas!
    If your symptoms subside introduce citrus and other fruit juices, eat a large variety of salad. No processed foods of any kind.

I am no doctor or nutritionist, my advice is based on experience and what I have read in books and online :smile:
    From that I understand you need to alkalise your digestive system , which is why green juices reign supreme!
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    http://www.vegsource.com/articles2/harris_irritable_bowel_syndrome.htm This article seemed to have some good advice.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Shakes...GNC makes a great whey protein powder that gives a lot of protein and they are tasty. You can add fruit to them for a little variety. I also suggest you consult a physician about the IBS (sounds like GERD). They may be able to give you something for the reflux.

Whey is not vegan. When my IBS kicks in I supplement my protein with powder that I blend with frozen fruit and almond milk. I use a hemp, pea and cranberry protein blend made by Sunwarrior. It has a complete amino acid profile and it is soothing to my digestive tract. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

Bleh. Quinoa is HORRID if you don't rinse it. I rinse it before AND after. I also cook it with a veggie stock cube to add flavor. :)

I have no problems digesting quinoa, and I highly recommend it. I toast it lightly in a bit of olive oil before cooking to remove the bitterness. I then cook it in almond milk for calcium and creaminess and add dried fruit during the cooking for sweetness. It's my favorite way to eat quinoa.
  • Stasiasaurus
    Stasiasaurus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You're not likely to run a fever with IBS alone, so it's possible your broccoli issues were in part due to something else, like a stomach bug. I got pinned with an IBS diagnosis a few years ago, and my major triggers seem to be coffee, artificial sweeteners, and overdoing carbohydrates. I feel best on a high fiber/low-moderate carbohydrate/moderate-high protein diet with probiotics. I know a lot of recommendations for IBS involve avoiding fiber, so what works for me won't work for everybody-- IBS is a syndrome, as in a collection of symptoms, not a single discrete disease. I'd recommend using your known "safe foods" as a baseline, and with your doctors help slowly try adding other foods one at a time to test them out (slow, I know, but it'll help you add things to your safe list). Definitely consider taking a good supplement if you're not already, because you have some extra challenges when it comes to keeping your diet balanced.
  • Lyndseed
    Lyndseed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Sometimes IBS is caused by grain allergies & sensitivities (wheat is the worst irritant). If you're vegan or vegetarian you could be taking in even more grains than the average person, which would likely exacerbate the problem. If you can cut out all grains for a month, that will give your digestive system time to heal! Even if you haven't been diagnosed with Celiac or something similar, I would try it and see if you feel better. Often those allergy tests come back negative, but there's still a sensitivity.

If you're not morally opposed to dairy & eggs I would use those to get your protein whenever possible! Greek yogurt is a fantastic addition to fruit and veggie smoothies. Also don't hesitate to eat plenty of healthy fats like olive oil, nuts, avocado & coconut (the fruit and the oil).

*and no I'm not a nutritionist or a doctor, this is just based on my own experience with grains, reading a lot, and having a few friends who went through 20-30 years of life not knowing that grains and especially gluten were messing with them and making them sick.
  • questermrk
    questermrk Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks everyone SO much. I forgot to mention that I have cut out gluten for a number of weeks, again as I read that it is a trigger to digestive problems and I would often have problems with bread (didn't eat pasta or whatever). However, 2 days ago I accidentally ate something with gluten, and I guess most of my problems have been since then so perhaps that added to them (I mean that it seems I have not been 'processing' anything that I eat since then), I'm not sure though. However, admittedly, I don't specifically buy gluten-free porridge and I eat a small amount of porridge every day. I just don't eat bread any more as I'd usually bring it back up and it was unpleasant. :-\ I am not sure whether I should switch that up or not, because as I say I am usually fine with breakfast.

I think I'll get some protein powder as well and will definitely follow up these other suggestions. Thanks everyone for your help as I was beginning to feel a bit desperate over the food situation! :-\
  • ThehungryveganUK
    Options
    I cook quinoa with veggie stock, instead of plain water, you only need to add a little powder to get some great flavours. But definitely rinse before too.
    I still can't get my quinoa like in pictures, it comes out a little soggy, but I'm working on it!
    Good luck!
  • DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Maybe just more fruit and vegetables, it doesn't really sound like you get a lot.

I don't really know a lot about IBS but ginger is supposed to aid digestion and cramps.

Good luck :)
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    A few ideas:

1. I would swap out your peanut butter for something else, as peanut butter is very inflammatory. Try almond butter. http://nutritiondata.self.com/help/inflammation
    2. Cut down on processed foods. Sugar and oils are very inflammatory
    3. Smoothies are a good idea. Fruit and maybe a protein powder that won't bother you. I just started using organic spirulina powder in my smoothies.
    4. I like someone's suggestion of quinoa.
    5. Are you gluten free? If not, do it!