Best Greek yogurt?

Options
Looking for the "best" Greek yogurt, as in the one with the most protein and least sugar. Kept hearing people say they love Greek yogurt and how good it is for you, and had so much protein - but they always say to buy the natural (not vanilla, no flavor added) and no sugar added. Yet every yogurt I look at in the store is loaded with sugar (is it just natural sugar?) or at least vanilla flavored. Anyways, not really concerned about the taste, as I just want it to add some creaminess/protein to my fruit smoothies.

Let me know what you guys like, thanks!

Replies

• LeviLeDoux
    LeviLeDoux Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I usually buy Fage or Chobani yogurt and top it with a little honey and a ton of berries. Mmmmm! :love:
  • SarahRosewriter
    Options
    Fage is definitely the best. I can find it at Wal-Mart, though your smaller Wal-Marts might not have it. I am not a huge yogurt fan, but I've discovered that the brand is very, very important for taste and texture. Whatever you do, don't buy Cabot! It's the most vile-tasting stuff I've ever eaten (or, rather, not eaten--I would have fed it to the raccoons, but my boyfriend took one for the team and choked it down). Fage costs more but is worth every penny. :-)
  • EMLiu
    Options
    I like Fage 2% and Chobani Vanilla a little bit of each mixed together. I find the Fage alone to be a bit too thick and... well not sweet enough by itself. I add a tablespoon of oats and a few almonds for breakfast on the go.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I eat my Greek yogurt plain and nonfat. The flavors have a lot of sugar. Also, watch out for additives. Some of the so-called yogurt on supermarket shelves contain gelatin or pectin. Real yogurt doesn't need gelatin for thickness or consistency. The only ingredients should be milk and bacterial culture. Check the label. It need not be expensive. Walmart (Great Value brand) Plain nonfat Greek yogurt contains only cultured nonfat milk.

You can also make your own using the store bought stuff to start the culture.