Help! I need advice

Options
Okay, I think I have a problem. I'm five foot ten and I weigh about 126. I realize that this is at the very low end of a healthy BMI for my height. Logically, I know I'm thin. The problem is, when I look down at my body all I see is fat, and when I look in the mirror I very rarely see myself as thin. Because of this, I don't have the best relationship with food. I eat enough, sometimes too much because I honestly LOVE food, but I also find myself feeling guilty very often for what/how much I eat. I'm mostly a healthy eater. I love fruits and veggies and turkey burgers, but I also love pasta and ice cream and potato chips. Whenever I eat anything that isn't good for me, I feel really bad about it. However, when I deprive myself of these things, I also feel really miserable. I feel like I can't win.
How can I convince myself that I don't need to worry so much about what I eat? How do I make myself see that I'm thin without paying a therapist a million dollars? There's got to be some way to fix my brain!

Replies

• Sailor26
    Sailor26 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think I eat to live not live to eat. Also, before I go for the snacks I take a moment and think why am I eating this am I even really hungry? I do not gurantee that this will work 100% of the time but its just a way to distract yourself for a moment. As for the skewed body perception I know what you mean jelly bean. What I did is I took my measurements and looked online with people who had the same height and measurements as I did and it helped me see myself on someone else I guess you can say. :D Hope that helps a little.
  • tessjordan88
    tessjordan88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You can eat ALL things in moderation. Just make sure that most of what you eat is the healthy stuff and then treat yourself with the other "junk" food. Just make sure you look at the portion size. Also, I try to chew more slowly when I am having something I know would blow my diet. It kinda fools your brain into thinking you're eating more of it if you can still taste it for a while. ;)
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I am glad you are looking for help with your relationship with food. All of us on this site are looking for a healthier way to feed ourselves but I don't think we are qualified to give you the help you need. I hope you have a good relationship with your doctor and have a chat about your thoughts. Sometimes a visit to the nutritionist could help you find the balance of foods you enjoy and what is healthy. I hope you keep searching for answers. Best wishes to you.
  • sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    My problem isn't really with being careful with what I eat. If anything, I obsess over how much I eat to the point where eating anything unhealthy makes me feel really guilty. What I'd really like is to have a relationship with food in which I'm conscious of what I'm eating but not obsessive, but my obsession is a result of my poor body image so I know that's got to be fixed first. Unfortunately, I have no idea how. I don't have health insurance so I don't have a regular doctor or anyone to discuss it with, really, so I'm at a bit of a dead end :/
  • sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    :/ bump?