Quitting drinking soda

Options
2»

Replies

• grace343
    Options
    I spoke to my best friend tonight about wanting to lose weight....imagine he is 5ft 8in and 120 pounds... the one thing I told him I needed to quit was drinking DIET COKE. Funny he went through the drive thru at McDonalds for his late late dinner at 10:30PM. Most times he will order me something too...but I begged him to not order me something. With his double cheeseburger meal he order DIET COKE! I sat and watched him drink it....knowing how it tasted and wanting it so much... thankfully I had a bottle of water drink instead. DIET COKE and Sugar are going to be more difficult for me to beat! Sometimes I really really crave them!
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I just stopped, it's rare but I occasionally have ginger-ale. I drank more OJ/Grapefruit juices/Lime Juice for a bit though and then don't really do any of those now except OJ on occasion, mostly now it's water and some decaf or half decaf coffee and Goats/Cow Milk - these last two with either cereal or a protein drink.

Your body will feel really good though after you get off it, I tried a dark soda this past summer and my feet swelled up within half an hour of drinking it ugh...Not good.
  • salemgrayhound77
    Options
    try Cler America its a zero calorie zero sodium and tastes great with flavors from strawberry to tangerine lime(personal favorite) tastes like soda but also you can get a 33 floz for 50~70 cents. you can get it at a local sams club or Wal-Mart in the drink section
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    so. i just watched this show Freaky Eaters and this one girl was addicted to soda. Drank a case a day...count 'em...24 cans of cola a day. holy moly, that's over 4000 calories in just SODA. i thought i had a problem with soda.

I think diff methods work for diff people. Is it the bubbles you need? The caffeine? Find the root of why you're drinking it at all? I used to drink gross amts of regular soda at one pt (not Freaky eaters style but it was still a lot) and now it's diet soda and only now and again, I'd say every other day.

You can do it! :happy:
  • tralalara
    Options
    I agree with an earlier poster. Try the SodaStream machine. If you just can't live without pop it is a great alternative. It has HALF the sugar in the regular flavors and they also have diet. It is also High Fructose Corn Syrup FREE, which is one of the worst things about soda. You can also use it to make flavored carbonated waters. It is also MUCH better for the environment. Much less waste. No bottles or cans to throw away. Well, not NEARLY as many. And I've tried it and it tastes great. Yes, it does use sucralose (Splenda) but NO aspartame. I think it is definitely a much better alternative. Healthier AND better for the environment. I call that a WIN WIN!
  • jenuhfur
    Options
    Thanks for all the input guys!
    I am addited to the caffeine, the fizz and the taste. I love Dr. Pepper!

I haven't had any yet today, and I am dying for one. I might stop and get a small one. The craving and headache is really bad.
  • oddsonv
    oddsonv Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love soda and I won't ever quit drinking it...I don't do diet at all because I don't like it...but I have switched to the 7.5 oz cans of coke and it is just enough to get the coke fix but not enough to derail the health plan. It is up to you...I allow for it in my calories...I know it isn't the best for me but as long as you are smart about it it's ok...I also won't give it up because Coke is my job!
  • donya35
    donya35 Posts: 166
    Options
    I'm fortunate that with my job, I'm so active that all I crave is water. I'm downing on avg 3 litters to a gallon just while I'm at work. And by the time I get home, I'm so used to water that cokes don't taste the same. It's on the weekend that I'll sip on maybe a soda.
  • dresdenkali
    Options
    I am proud to say that I am formally a Mnt Dew addict lol. When I started my journey I knew the soda, even diet (which I hate), would always be a major issue in the work to lose weight. What I thought was an addiction to the dew was nothing more than me taking the easy way out. I crave flavor, so what I did was got on top of making Crystal Light drink mix. Even after 8 months, I still have 3 cans of dew in the fridge.

My suggestion, always try and keep an alternative to soda near by and ready. If you are like me, look into Crystal Light or the Wal-Mart generic brand (just as good). Also tea's are a good alternative and healthy too.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i just went cold turkey a couple weeks ago. i suffered a 4 day mild migraine (i say mild because i could still function, i just felt like crap and was sensitive to light, nauseous, etc)

i just drank a buttload of water every day; tried to stay hydrated in general. i've had one bottle of soda over a space of two days since. my boyfriend, sweet as he is, always asks me if i want him to pick one up for me, but i've been good to decline except that one day. so it goes.

if you have a weekend available where you can kind of lay in bed and sulk, this is a good time to quit cold turkey.
  • kayemme
    Options
    also if it's just fizz you're needing, try the carbonated waters. if you need both sweetness and fizz, add a little 100% juice.

when i went through that nasty withdrawl, i thought to myself "wow, the soda companies really are like drug companies." i don't think soda is evil, but i do think it's addictive, not to mention all the waste in creating the cans, recycling the cans & bottles and all the "accidental" landfill deposits. it just doesn't seem right in any manner.

so when i crave one i just think of who i'm actually supporting (oil companies, land fills, plastic manufacturers, etc) that aren't doing ANY of us any favors, specifically people who have little voice in their countries to say "please stop manufacturing plastic near my hut" while we guzzle it down shamelessly and toss the bottle.
  • kayemme
    Options
    i'd also like to add that since i cut out soda and have been drinking ample water, weight has been dropping a lot easier.. i weigh myself all the time, but only record on a certain day, and i'm pretty sure my next one is going to be good... even if it isn't a dramatic number decrease ALL of my clothes fit looser and more comfortably.
  • dindivt
    Options
    I am addicted to diet coke at home and diet sunkist when I am at work, I get such a hard time from coworkers and family that I have such a weekness with those beverages. Did anyone have as horrible of a time getting off the diet soda as people can with regular soda? I definitely need to kick this habit, its expensive and not good for me.
  • crazyda79
    crazyda79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just recently started bringing my allotted amount of water to work in a water bottle and I have found myself focusing on drinking that rather than wanting the soda. It has been four days since my last soda and honestly I don't really want one. Way more full and satisfied with the water.