Why Do Squats Make My Knees Hurt?

I just did some squats with 2 10lb dumbs in my hands. My knees were hurting while doing it. Could my form be wrong. I always thought it was just weight on heels and bum out and *kitten* to grass method. no?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Bad form... My knees used to hurt until I started sticking my butt out and widening my stance.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Hmm, you may want to decrease your weights so that you can focus on form. :flowerforyou:
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    In addition to making sure your knees aren't sticking out past your toes, you also need to make sure your knees aren't collapsing in toward the center during the squat.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ME8gEN54Ao

Try this series for form.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    you should always warm up first. warming up helps bring blood and other bodily fluids to the muscles and joints. two dozen jumping jacks is good.

as far as squats, here is a good link with a video for them. http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/bodyweight-squat

fyi, your toes do generally go past your toes.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    tumblr_m3j5jpMCVo1qbgnp0.gif
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    In addition to making sure your knees aren't sticking out past your toes, you also need to make sure your knees aren't collapsing in toward the center during the squat.
    Actually it's alright to let knees go past the toes on squats. If not then the the hips and low back take a higher load. Absolutely true on the collapsing though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    I've found that Sumo Squats are easy to get started with.
    There's a strict form to them too though. Rarely see anyone do them right as a beginner even though it seems simple.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    knees not going past your toes is complete myth.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I agree with the others, if you don't have a pre-existing condition in your knees (that a physiotherapist could help you with), you should work on form first and then progress in weights as you build your strength.
  • whoa there yo! go deep to blow your knees. do not go lower then sitting a box. it's called box squat for a reason. point your toes slightly outward and do not end your knees to deeply that they go over your toes. best of luck.
  • Jacqson84
    Jacqson84 Posts: 189 Member
    Actually it's alright to let knees go past the toes on squats. If not then the the hips and low back take a higher load. Absolutely true on the collapsing though.

IDEA Fitness member

THIS!
  • I was really hoping I would find out how to stop my knees from hurting as well. Even after watching the videos and doing it as seen (at least from my point of view) -they still hurt.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    squats are personal - have to find the form that fits you

I have pre-existing knee damage on my R knee leaving my R leg slightly over pronated - just takes time to get used to your form. Also if its specifically your knee try doing some light leg extensions before hand to warm the joint up - or some walking lunges or the stair climber
  • marioalberto1
    marioalberto1 Posts: 142 Member
    As long as I squat to parallel or below my knees are fine. 1/2 or 2/3 squats make my knees hurt.
  • ninerbuff
    whoa there yo! go deep to blow your knees. do not go lower then sitting a box. it's called box squat for a reason. point your toes slightly outward and do not end your knees to deeply that they go over your toes. best of luck.
    Must not have read above posts about knees over toes. It's fine to do since it's a natural motion. Try climbing stairs without your knees passing your toes.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    If you have time, then read:

http://www.dentonisd.org/cms/lib/tx21000245/centricity/Domain/700/Everything_you_need_to_know_about_Squatting.pdf

IDEA Fitness member
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    whoa there yo! go deep to blow your knees. do not go lower then sitting a box. it's called box squat for a reason. point your toes slightly outward and do not end your knees to deeply that they go over your toes. best of luck.

no

its worse on your knees to not go down far enough.
  • When i started squats my knees hurt as well ... i tried to squat with good form but still my knees would hurt so i quit them altogether ... what i did was exercises that strengthen the knees and thighs ... after a few months i was back to squats and my knees never hurt again ... it seemed that my muscles were so weak that they couldn't support my knees ...
    Another tip: read starting strength ... it helped me with good form
  • psychomomxs4
    psychomomxs4 Posts: 400 Member
    If you have time, then read:

http://www.dentonisd.org/cms/lib/tx21000245/centricity/Domain/700/Everything_you_need_to_know_about_Squatting.pdf

IDEA Fitness member

Thanks millions for the info...good article