I have a running question....

Options
I have been running on the treadmill (5 to 6mph). There are days that I get on do my 1/2 lap warm up then when I get going I will be on my like 2nd lap and I will get pain in my side.
Can you let me know what I am doing wrong ? But then on other days I get going and It doesn't hurt. Do I need to warm up more or is it my breathing? Any input would be greatly appreciated...
I have gotten to where on a good day I can run 2 miles. On days that I get the side pain I walk until it goes away and then run again. Thanks in advance.

Melissa

Replies

• melissa73
    melissa73 Posts: 368
    Options
    I have been running on the treadmill (5 to 6mph). There are days that I get on do my 1/2 lap warm up then when I get going I will be on my like 2nd lap and I will get pain in my side.
    Can you let me know what I am doing wrong ? But then on other days I get going and It doesn't hurt. Do I need to warm up more or is it my breathing? Any input would be greatly appreciated...
    I have gotten to where on a good day I can run 2 miles. On days that I get the side pain I walk until it goes away and then run again. Thanks in advance.

Melissa
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

Melissa

Those are side stitches - has to do with your breathing - or lack of it actually! If you are getting them only on one side - you are probably favoring one foot. Stop running - bend over and let your hands hang down to your toes and take 5 deep breaths. Sometimes, I don't stop running but I reach up with my arms above my head and lean away from the stitch and breath through it. I have also heard that a deep 'fake cough' where you let out a deep breath from the diaghram works too. you have to see which works for you. Do a search on www.runnersworld.com for this topic and you will find lots of suggestions on how to cure. Just a part of running my dear! Breathe!!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Side stitches are evil!!!! :explode:

Are you eating before you run?

There are a lot of tips you can find on the internet, but if your pain is on the right side (most common) then try to exhale when your right foot is hitting the pavement. They are also caused by your internal organs pressing on each other. Try to lift up under your rib cage so "un-squish" them. Stronger ab muscles will also help allieviate (sp) them so try some crunches (I know..ugh) too.

Good luck & join the MFP Runner's club too! :wink:
  • jlohern
    jlohern Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem. Then I read an article that says you should breathe in and out when your left foot hits the ground. After I did that, the side stitches went away.
  • Fifty
    Fifty Posts: 17
    Options
    Good question. I also want to know if you get that runners hi. Cuz I haven't been able to get any benifit from running except i finish my workout faster.:sad: :sad:
  • melissa73
    melissa73 Posts: 368
    Options
    Thanks everyone... I usually don't eat before I run/jog but I do drink some water... I can see where I would be favoring my left foot. I broke my middle toe on the left foot a while back so I will concentrate on not favoring it. And the breathing tips makes really good since. Thanks for the link too. I found a lot of other tips.. I think I am going to push myself more too. When I first started running I could barley run 1 lap. As far as a Hi I have no clue what that is.. I'll have to look it up..
    Thanks again everyone.... Melissa
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    So that's what that's called. I thought it was a cramp:huh:
    Anywho.....when I get it again, I'll yell "STITCHES!!!!" instead of "CRAMPS!!!!"
    It'll give a few of the 'on lookers' a scare... *bwahahahaaaaa*